Too Young to be Old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey doc,

If you have been working a regular program and are having no issues with soreness anywhere, you can probably skate through the initial steps fairly quickly. If you are very strict with your form and 212 timing, you'll be surprised how much you can get out of even Step 1 moves. I would spend 2 or 3 weeks on the Wall Pushups and move on to Step 2. I did the Incline Pushups on the kitchen counter and got a nice deep press because of the free clearance. I am graduating to girl pushups now, but I will still do incline pushups for warmup.

One tip: the Step 2 horizontal pulls call for a hip-high bar. Do not use a bar this low, use one at sternum level. I am currently on Step 2, and even at that height, I may cut Step 2 a bit short and move on to Step 3. Right now I am doing two sets of Horizontal Pulls and one set of Jackknife Pulls. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference effort-wise, and I want to work primarily on the vertical pullup motion sooner rather than later.

If you don't have the Super FAQ, be sure to check that out, too.
    Also, A Dirty Dozen
    Last edited by Diogenes; 10-25-2012, 02:30 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

Yes, I had been doing a regular work out 3 day cycle of of circuit training followed by joggin/walking and on the following day rest, Rinse and repeat.... This CC schedule seems really "effortless" at this point, and I know that won't last long! I was going to do Wall Push ups for 2 weeks, then progress to Inclines the following week. I find myself having to fight the impulse to do inclines at my desk at work to Grease The Groove because of the impression that I a not working hard enough. I know... that will change and in the future I will be crying gosh not push ups again! lol..

Comment

3-month Update

Somehow, I managed to reach 3 milestones on the same day today.

1. I reached the halfway point to my weight loss goal, having lost 35 of a projected 70 pounds.

2. I weighed in at 220 pounds, which classifies me as overweight, no longer obese (I hate that word).

3. I am at the 3-month mark of my bodyweight workout program. When I started, I could only do a few pushups and squats before I had to quit because every muscle, joint and tendon was screaming. Pullups--forget it. I could barely move an inch from the dead hang position. I could do 0.0 pullups.

My current workout is:
        Jackknife Pullups: 5 x 10
        Pushups: 3 x 15
        Side to Side Squats: 3 x 20
        Hanging Leg Raises: 2 x 5

I have been carefully limiting my progress, and I have to say that I feel great. The only discomfort I have is a small amount of rotator pain in my shoulders. It is not enough to interfere with daily activity, or even my workouts, but I am still being careful about agrivating it. Previously, my left shoulder had been quite bothersome; my right shoulder was significantly reduced in function for most of 2012. I have been following the advice in "Shoulder Pain? The Solution and Prevention" by John M Kirsch and I believe it has helped.

It is a challenge fighting the urge to press for faster strength gains, but my plan has been to take it slow and easy at least until the new year. I am not a young man anymore, I have to accept my limitations. But patience comes with age, and I am pleased with where I am right now. Three months ago it was difficult just getting up off the floor. Everything ached, no strength, no flexibility... Now I jump up like a cat. Well, comparatively. I'm hoping that by spring, I won't be embarrassed to take my shirt off.
        Last edited by Diogenes; 11-25-2012, 02:18 AM. Reason: speling

Comment

Congrats on the landmark achievements! Keep at it. You have a plan, work the plan and you will get there.

Comment

Sounds like awesome progress! Nicely done and keep on keeping on!
            Never argue for your limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
              Congrats on the landmark achievements! Keep at it. You have a plan, work the plan and you will get there.
              Originally posted by Grokalicious View Post
              Sounds like awesome progress! Nicely done and keep on keeping on!
              Hey, you two, thanks for the encouragement!

Comment

I'm going to visit my sister in Colorado for the month of December. We haven't had an extended time together for over 20 years, I don't know why I've allowed that to happen. She rarely cooks and I like to cook, so I'm bringing my kitchen essentials and will try to get her started with Paleo. Wish me luck with that, she could stand to lose some weight (okay, a lot). I'm bringing my trusty pullup bar, and she lives at the base of the foothills, so I'll get some hill climbing in--looking forward to that. I hope I can deal with the altitude.

My weight goal for the end of the year is 215 and I'm within 5 lbs, so if I can make that, I'll be one happy camper. It would mark 40 lbs lost since July. I am hoping and praying that I can keep it up and, more importantly, keep the weight off.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                  My weight goal for the end of the year is 215 and I'm within 5 lbs, so if I can make that, I'll be one happy camper. It would mark 40 lbs lost since July. I am hoping and praying that I can keep it up and, more importantly, keep the weight off.
                  I am betting you can and will!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Diogenes;1013776]Somehow, I managed to reach 3 milestones on the same day today.

Wow congrats on your milestones.
                    I am about to start with the fitness side of Primal and am considering rejoining a the local gym . Your post has inspired me to start the program. You have achieved a lot in just 3 months. thanks!
                    link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

Originally posted by Grokalicious View Post
                      I am betting you can and will!!!
                      Thanks, coach. Maybe I'll post a pic...maybe.

Comment

[QUOTE=jacmac;1017918]
                        Somehow, I managed to reach 3 milestones on the same day today.

Wow congrats on your milestones.
                        I am about to start with the fitness side of Primal and am considering rejoining a the local gym . Your post has inspired me to start the program. You have achieved a lot in just 3 months. thanks!
                        That's awesome! Keep us posted. And thanks for the kind words. Primal Eating and Convict Conditioning have worked wonders for me, and it's not like I worked super hard or anything. I've been consistent, but working out for 15 minutes four days a week and eating my fill of food I like has just seemed too easy.

Comment

keeping you posted may just keep me accountable!
                          I am interested in the fact that you spend only 15 mins four days a week to achieve your fitness goals. Is that the recommendation of Convict conditioning? I took a peek at some of the links posted here omn CC and it seems to be very similar to Marks fitness plan . Would you agree?
                          link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

Be careful at a higher altitude while exercising. Go slower and be more forgiving if you pewter out quickly. It takes a couple of days for your body to adjust.

Comment

Thanks, coach. Maybe I'll post a pic...maybe.
                              Stick to it, pic or no pic!

Comment

Originally posted by jacmac View Post
                                keeping you posted may just keep me accountable!
                                I am interested in the fact that you spend only 15 mins four days a week to achieve your fitness goals. Is that the recommendation of Convict conditioning? I took a peek at some of the links posted here omn CC and it seems to be very similar to Marks fitness plan . Would you agree?
                                Hey jacmac

The CC routine I am using specifies two days per week with two exercises each day. I have expanded that to four days, with one exercise each day because I get impatient with so many days doing nothing. They are easily doable in 15 minutes. For example, today is pushups day, and I am doing them while I read and write on the forum here, so realistically, I am doing three sets of pushups in about three minutes. That's one of the nice things about bodyweight exercises--you can do them anytime, anywhere.

CC and and Primal Fitness are very similar. CC is wider in scope and much more comprehensive. With the training I got from CC, I am able to construct my own progressive exercise plan, tailoring it for my needs, preferences and goals. Primal Fitness does include sprinting, which I think is a very valuable addition.

If you have questions, feel free to ask, or post in the fitness forum. There are many people there able to help you out.

Comment

Working...
                                X