Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I notice I wash more dishes too.

I have never heard of a rental kitchen so I have no ideas for you. Great idea if there is a market for it. We have very few caterers around here (that I know of, I guess) and most of them are linked with a grocery store or a restaurant and use the grocer's kitchen or the restaurant's kitchen.

Best of luck to you with this new adventure! And congrats on the awesome weight loss so far! You'll reach your goals... but remember, weight is something we can quite honestly NOT control b/c there are other uncontrolable factors in play (water retention, hormone fluctuations, etc), so even if you're not at 260 by November 1, that's no reason to assume this isn't for you. I think you can do this regardless of what you weight on November 1.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Re: the picture. You're a very handsome guy! And your daughters are beautiful and so sweet looking. Cherish them.

Comment

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
        Re: the picture. You're a very handsome guy! And your daughters are beautiful and so sweet looking. Cherish them.
        LOL, nobody has said that to me since I was married in 1999, and very few times before that, so thanks! And my kids are indeed, awesome.

OK, so I went to the library today, and a book by Rob Wolf came in for me... still none of the PB books, but they say they should be in by next week. I plan to read the PB books, and possibly one other author, and sort of formulate my game plan, based on what looks and feels right for me.

It's 3:18 PM, and I have no idea what to make yet for dinner. I probably should have had that figured out by now.

You know, I have been complaining about the cost of being primal, but I was just thinking that we would go out to dinner most every Friday and / or Saturday, and I can tell that we won't be doing that nearly as often, so, that means $60 = $125 a week savings, most weeks. Right there is more than the extra amount I spend on primal foods.... I only hope my wife doesn't complain about not going out to eat so much. And actually, she really shouldn't. In her job, she takes customers out to lunch at least once a week, or has lunch brought in for customers at least once a week. Personally, I don't enjoy going out to eat so much. ( I have relatives who eat about 10 meals a week in restaurants, even though both of them work from home! )

Today was the first time I felt H U N G R Y! And I was not anywhere where I could find food. As soon as I got home I ate 2 pumpkin cookies that I made..... hopefully that gets me through until dinner without more hunger pains.

I know people say not to count calories..... and I don't actually count them, but for the most part, I can look at a plate of food and pretty much know about how many calories are on the plate, and because of that, I look at my portion sizes, and I find myself eating far smaller portions, even if I know I will likely be hungry later on. I was trying not to have a snack after 9PM, but every night I still feel like I need one.

My doctor gave me a simple rule of thumb about how many calories people need in a day... a 275 pound person needs about 2750 calories a day to stay at the same weight if they are sedentary..... a 140 pound person would need about 1400 calories a day.

I'm still having mental battles about eating more fat than I am used to. I know that fat has more calories than protein or carbs.... I am probably having a worse battle than most, having had heart bypass surgery. That's one reason I am spending so much time on this site. Reading what other people say is - hopefully - going to get me past this.
        Start Date 9.24.12
        Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
        CW - 271 pounds
        First Goal - 255 by 2013
        Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
        Other Goal - to get off some medications
        Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
        NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress. My dad had a heart attack last year just before Thanksgiving. He's not primal/paleo, but he's lost at least 30 pounds since then. He's very active, bikes several times a week to work (I think it's a 9 mile trip, one way) when the weather allows. I'm still hoping he'll give paleo a shot and cut out the grain/go back to eating more meat. He eats plenty of fish, but he's also eating tofu and fake meats
          Depression Lies

Comment

PP, Go ahead and read Robb's book. I haven't yet simply b/c I don't have the book yet, but plan to. I've heard it's really good and enlightening... and quite honestly, they all really say the same thing (don't tell them I said that) anyway so I think you'll be ok to start with Robb's book. A lot of people do. And if I remember correctly, he used to be a chemist or a biologist so he'd be a reliable source... wait, I think he was a biochemist... either way, reliable source.

Eat when hungry, eat til full, stop eating. That's all you need to know regarding calories right now. Eat the right foods when you're hungry until you are not anymore. The rest falls into place.

I tend not to get to MDA much on the weekends, so have a nice one!

Comment

Robb Wolf's book is excellent and probably more closely aligns with the way I eat these days (although my dairy intake has crept up). I like his for the dietary stuff and explanations, but I like Mark's emphasis on the whole lifestyle outside of just food and exercise. Robb also supports that aspect, but Mark's primal laws make it clear and simple to understand.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Dinner tonight:

Spring mix of greens
                about 4 - 5 ounces of stew meat, spiced for tacos
                homemade salsa
                hot sauce

Then also, 2 Anaheim chiles stuffed with cheese and 2 slices of cooked bacon... roasted in oven at 450 until the peppers were nice and charred.
                Start Date 9.24.12
                Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
                CW - 271 pounds
                First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

Someone on these forums said something that resonated with me "Hunger is not an emergency". Basically there is no need to pack snacks for the drive home. You won't die from the first hunger pangs and you should be okay.

Also, my hubby had a heart attack several years ago. As you read through my journal you'll find what he has gone through with being a cardiac patient and eating like this. HINT. It isn't a bad thing!

The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around was "fat is good". Too many years of CW and "fat is bad".
                  Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

OK, so it is basically midnight here, and I have to go start cooking a breakfast crock pot meal. If anything makes me dump this WOE, it will be all the cooking. I need to start making stuff that can be easily reheated, and still taste good. I love to cook, but this is a bit much.

Breakfast tomorrow:

8 eggs
                    1/2 grated sweet potato
                    5 ounces of spinach
                    3 ounces of cheese
                    4 ounces of chorizo
                    4 ounces roasted red peppers
                    1/2 diced jalapeno
                    1/2 diced onion
                    Salsa as a garnish
                    spices

Of course, I will probably only eat 1/3rd of that, and hopefully it will reheat. Maybe my wife might eat a little....
                    Last edited by Primal Papa; 09-28-2012, 09:29 PM.
                    Start Date 9.24.12
                    CW - 271 pounds
                    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

• I am re-posting this from some advice I actually gave to someone in another thread. I am making one of these today:

BTW, may I suggest, googling DIY workout gear, or similar.... There are lots of things you can make that are really awesome, and not so expensive..... Like here is one...

Get a 5' - 7' long piece of PVC pipe. Cap one end so it is waterproof. Fill it 2/3 full with water and cap the other end. Most people use 2" PVC. This is called a "Swoosh bar". Basically you use it like a barbell, but the motion of the water makes it an entirely different animal.
                      Start Date 9.24.12
                      CW - 271 pounds
                      First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

• Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                        You have to try the Infamous bacon cookies from this book! This is my favourite cookbook. I highly recommend it to everyone, primal and non. I can't wait for their new book "Gather" which will be released in April.
                        I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
                        HT: 5'7"
                        SW: 223 June 2012
                        CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
                        TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Comment

• OK, I just woke up because the dogs woke me up.... I got to sleep only about 4 hours ago, so I am probably going back to bed very shortly, but I was up very late because I read all of Robb Wolf's book. I liked his approach and his writing style. I liked the way that he didn't obsess over "grass fed" or "organic", tho he certainly preferred them. He basically said "do the best you can". He also was stressing to give it 30 days - an honest 30 days, to see if you feel the difference.

OK, so, today is 9.29.12 - Day 6 for me... and here is what I have experienced:

1. Far less heartburn
                          2. weight loss
                          3. Less frequent urination - which for me, is awesome. Truly awesome. I love it!

All this in just 5 completed days!

I came down to let the dogs out, and found I was hungry, so I checked on that slow cooker recipe that I posted several posts back.... it was done! So I am eating some now, and it is pretty good! Well, I am tired, so back to bed for now. It has been an awesome week, spent online, with some awesome folks!
                          Start Date 9.24.12
                          CW - 271 pounds
                          First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

• It's amazing how the benefits (some of them anyway) are almost immediate. You have a great attitude!
                            Height: 5' 10"
                            Starting Weight: 292
                            Starting Primal Weight: 275
                            Current weight: 224
                            Goal weight: 172
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• It really is amazing how much better you feel when eating clean. I remember reading the books back to back as well, they are really compelling. Keep up the amazing work Papa!
                              Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                              Before and after pics
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                              Primal Sucess Story
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                              Primal Journal
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

• Kinda slow on weekends, apparently.

So chalk up another good day, where I stayed on plan. I wish I had a nice paleo dessert ready, but I don't... I'm feeling the need for something sweet. It is SO HARD to go into the pantry and see the stuff that I used to eat, knowing that I can't have any of it. I just went inside the pantry, and staring me in the face was a bag of mini Butterfingers. Those are pretty much my favorite candy bar! And then I saw a bag of my wife's custom blend of trail mix.....

So I turned away, and just went to the office before I do something stupid.I'm not even really hungry, but just craving sweets.

Anyway, dinner tonight was rather "meh". So maybe that is why I want the dessert.

Dinner

2 chicken legs, seasoned with garam masala, salt, pepper, and garlic

cauliflower "rice"..... probably 1/3 of a whole, large cauliflower

and a paleo sauce that I made that was a combo Indian / Thai sauce.... tho in a way I cheated because I used cream..... cream isn't really cheating, I know, but I don't want the huge caloric intake from heavy cream, so I violated my own rule there.

I had a somewhat rough morning. On the weekends, I used to drink a lot of coffee. Well I woke up this morning because the smell of coffee brewing was just "wow"! I really wanted some, but was able to not have any. But may favorite is iced coffee, and the leftover coffee is sitting in the pot now, calling my name. I told it to STHU, and leave me alone. LOL.

BTW, notice I used "STHU"..... I am incredibly far from a prude; I mean incredibly far, but I am surprised that this forum allows a lot of foul language. I have never been on a forum before that allows it. I mean they allow some of the minor words, but certainly nothing like what I see here. Are there moderators on this site? It catches me off guard to read so many posts with the "F Bomb" in them. So many, in fact that I don't let my kids stand over my shoulder if I am reading or posting here.

Anyway, that's probably it for today. I shall be here again tomorrow, and no, that is not a threat!
                                Start Date 9.24.12
                                CW - 271 pounds
                                First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

Working...
                                X