My Journey to Grokhood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Journey to Grokhood

Well, I have almost logged one full month on my Journey to Grokhood. For the most part it hasn't been that difficult really, I haven't struggled with the pasta's or the sugars, even though they are abundantly laid out in front of me almost daily. I haven't gotten my wife sold on the idea at all, hopefully she will see the results sometime in the future and be convinced, and if seeing doesn't do it for her then hopefully my next checkup at the doctors office will provide good enough feedback to assure her that I'm doing something right.

I'm 47 years old and feel like I'm at least 50 lbs heavier than I should be. I'm about 5'-10" and weighed 237 lbs when I started my journey. I have some definite cholesterol problems for which I was told to take statins and fish oil. I've never had high blood pressure, but I have wore a CPAP for a little over a year now, I'll be glad to get rid of that sometime in the near future. I've made attempts at weight loss in the past, but have always gained it back (and more). A couple of years ago I tried the South Beach and lost about 23 lbs, kept it off for a while but then succumbed. I recently started weight watchers, lost about 14lbs but I just hated having to count everything and log it, (I was doing the online thing) but I did find that counting things made you more aware of what you were putting away and tended to keep you honest.

I noticed some pics of a HS friend of mine on Facebook that had started HIIT training and he was looking really good, he told me about it and I did some youtube look ups to see what it was all about. I mentioned it to one of the guys in my office and he told me that he was trying to be Primal, , primal? Yeah, he gave me a copy of the Primal Blueprint and I haven't looked back. I eat up everything Mark says, except for the evolution stuff.

I've been doing the primary primal exercises at least 3 times per week and that along with eating primal almost all of the time....with the exception of some fried foods (zuchini and onion rings) wrapped in flour...otherwise I've been clean. I drink 1 cup of coffee each morning with some International Delight creamer, but other than that I only drink water. I was a little disappointed in not loosing weight a little faster, but I'm sticking in there. I've lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks, tomorrow I weigh in again, hopefully I can drop at least another pound.
    I have full intentions of seeing this through, to loose weight and become a healthier individual.

To all of you that are on this journey, please wish me well.
    Primal since 27 August 2012
    Age 47
    Height 5'10"
    SW 236
    PW 223
    GW 185

My Journal

ahhhh, weigh-in today was good I dropped another 2 lbs, so my present weight is now at 230. I'm one happy camper!!!
    Age 47
    Height 5'10"
    SW 236
    PW 223
    GW 185

My Journal

Comment

Weigh-in this last Sunday was down another pound. Back into the 220's.... and it certainly feels good. I'm definitely seeing/feeling a difference in how my pants fit. I'm really surprised how easy it's been to give up the sugars and the other stuff. I cheated and felt a little remorse last Monday when I ate about 6 chips at Don Pablos, but I had to have something to dip out that queso.

Exercising regularly and even did some wind sprints, not too long though.

Increased my exercise routine yesterday:
      40 pushups - 2 sets of 15 and 1 set of 10
      40 squats - 2 sets
      20 situps - 2 sets
      20 second leg raises - 2 sets
      45 second plank - 2 sets
      Age 47
      Height 5'10"
      SW 236
      PW 223
      GW 185

My Journal

Comment

Today I ate:
        Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs and a piece of bacon w/glass of water
        Lunch: a taco salad less the chips and beans w/glass of water
        Supper: salad with 1 1/2 pieces of baked chicken and a little cooked cabbage w/glass of water
        Snack: handful of raw almonds
        2 - 1000 mg gels of fish oil
        Age 47
        Height 5'10"
        SW 236
        PW 223
        GW 185

My Journal

Comment

You posted on PrimalPapas journal about how to have less gray hair. It has happened for me but I didn't notice it for sure until I was a year on Primal. Looking in the mirror this morning I have new dark hairs coming in. Changing how you eat for the better did the trick.
          BTW, it isn't just me noticing it. My hairdresser noticed, my sister noticed.......when I look at pictures from a couple of years ago it is substantially less gray.
          Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Honeybuns.....that sounds pretty cool.....and it would be welcome, but I don't think anyone would believe me when I told them that it was natural progression.....but I'll have fun telling them. I hope this comes through.

Well, another week and another pound gone. 228 never felt so good. Loving the way my clothes have more room in them...funny how that works.
            I was pretty excited this week during my workouts. I had been doing my planks and leg raises by doing what I thought were one second blows, I was holding my planks for 45 seconds and my raises for 20, when I put a stop clock on it I found that I was actually holding my planks for a minute and 20 seconds and my raises for a little over 40 seconds. I thought that was pretty good.
            I spent yesterday in the field doing some hunting....but no luck. Looking forward to scoring some venison.
            Have a great week everyone!!!
            Age 47
            Height 5'10"
            SW 236
            PW 223
            GW 185

My Journal

Comment

Gonna start listing my daily fare in hopes of figuring out what I'm eating that is holding me back.

Breakfast:
              2 eggs scrambled & 3 pieces of bacon w/water
              cup of joe w/3 tblspoons of International Delight Macadamia flavored creamer (non-primal)
              Lunch:
              Taco salad less the chips and beans w/4 tablespoons of Raspberry vinaigrette (non-primal), and water
              Supper:
              6 oz of venison roast, cup of mixed vegetable medley, 1 pickled beet and water
              Age 47
              Height 5'10"
              SW 236
              PW 223
              GW 185

My Journal

Comment

The one thing that sticks out to me is you need more fat. Try coconut oil in your coffee. Or cooking with it. There is a post here called Eat Moar Fat you might look into as there is some good info there. Hang in! you got this!
                You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                height 5'3
                SW 215 lbs
                CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                LW 172 lbs
                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Ditto on the fat and I wonder if you are eating enough in general? I plugged your menu into FitDay and barely came up with 1000 calories. You might've eaten more depending on what was in the tacoless salad and cooking oils etc, but still, it's not a lot of food, maybe about a third of maintenance. I know there's a lot of debate about "starvation response" and downregulating metabolism in response to severe caloric restriction, but based on my experience if I do a 1000-1200 calorie diet for a couple of weeks I'll lose some weight, but then it always stalls.

For the past month I tried bringing daily calories to 2000, but fasting for 2 days entirely, so my weekly calorie total is 10,000, averaging 1428/cals a day. That took off 3-4 pounds per week for three weeks. This past week I didn't lose anything, so I guess my body adapted to that. So I'll eat 2K a day for a couple of weeks and let things stablize and then see if I can fast another chunk off in the coming weeks.

I think you have to keep changing it up.

David
                  Height: 5' 10"
                  Starting Weight: 292
                  Starting Primal Weight: 275
                  Current weight: 224
                  Goal weight: 172
                  Body Fat 30.5

Comment

And I would add some veggies to that breakfast as well
                    ...The grass is always greener where you water it...

Lost 35 kilos and 121 centimetres since 25 May 2012
                    My journal

Comment

Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
                      Ditto on the fat and I wonder if you are eating enough in general?
                      David, I'm definitely eating enough to where I'm not hungry, but I'm having a problem finding a good program where I can list what I eat. I tried FitDay but definitely was not impressed, especially with response times. I tried another program called Cronometer.com, but not sure I'm impressed with it too much either. What do you guys recommend? I currently have a WW account and they have a pretty good food DB and tool, but this is the last month that I will pay $18 to have it. These programs really help me quite a bit. Cronometer has a paleo scale, but it seems they don't have alot of foods in their DB and it's a little clunky.
                      I did stop by the store tonight and picked up some coconut oil and some cashew butter

Originally posted by missennah View Post
                      And I would add some veggies to that breakfast as well
                      Hmmm, veggies at breakfast.....what do you recommend? The only time I have veggies for breakfast is when I eat an omlet at work, I usually get a Western, but at home during school days my wife always fixes eggs and bacon.
                      Age 47
                      Height 5'10"
                      SW 236
                      PW 223
                      GW 185

My Journal

Comment

Non exercise day

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, 1 piece of bacon, water

morning snack: cup of joe with 3 tablespoons of International Delight creamer

Lunch: Salad plate with lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, black olives, 1/2 cup cottage cheese 3 cubes of pineapple with 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette

afternoon snack: small apple and a handful of red grapes

Dinner: Maybe 2oz of leftover venison, 1 1/2 cups of steamed okra, and about a cup of something my daughter put together, something like a taco bake (corn chips top and bottom, some tomato, cream of chicken soup and chicken chunks)

after dinner snack: 1/2 teaspoon of cashew butter (that will take some getting used too) and a sliver of coconut oil (I think I'd rather rub this on my face than eat it )
                        Last edited by Jeffybear; 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM.
                        Age 47
                        Height 5'10"
                        SW 236
                        PW 223
                        GW 185

My Journal

Comment

Hey Jeffybear,
                          Looks like you have a good handle on the primal lifestyle. Keep up the great work and you will be at your goal weight in no time! Welcome to the primal lifestyle!
                          “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffybear View Post
                            David, I'm definitely eating enough to where I'm not hungry, but I'm having a problem finding a good program where I can list what I eat. I tried FitDay but definitely was not impressed, especially with response times. I tried another program called Cronometer.com, but not sure I'm impressed with it too much either. What do you guys recommend? I currently have a WW account and they have a pretty good food DB and tool, but this is the last month that I will pay $18 to have it. These programs really help me quite a bit. Cronometer has a paleo scale, but it seems they don't have alot of foods in their DB and it's a little clunky.
                            I did stop by the store tonight and picked up some coconut oil and some cashew butter

Hmmm, veggies at breakfast.....what do you recommend? The only time I have veggies for breakfast is when I eat an omlet at work, I usually get a Western, but at home during school days my wife always fixes eggs and bacon.
                            If I make fried eggs, I always make some fried tomatoes on the pan as well. Otherwise I eat bell pepper, leftovers from dinner etc.
                            ...The grass is always greener where you water it...

Lost 35 kilos and 121 centimetres since 25 May 2012
                            My journal

Comment

Lots of people here use Paleotrack.com, obviously Paleo centered. I've been using Fitday for awhile so I am used to its quirks.
                              Height: 5' 10"
                              Starting Weight: 292
                              Starting Primal Weight: 275
                              Current weight: 224
                              Goal weight: 172
                              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

Working...
                              X