Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday:

Today is a rest day.... so I did..... I haven't done a flippin thing.... except maybe flip through web pages. Wandered out to the hen houses to collect eggs. It's a beautiful sunny day, but cool and windy.....

Diet:

B: yogurt w/ strawberry preserves.

L: chicken wings... from the monster chickens we had last fall... and tasty too!

S: couple of handfulls of pecans

D: Pork stir fry

Interesting article by Mark today. I think I would have to classify myself as a novice, as far as strength goes. I can run a "long" distance, currently 5 miles and the longest I have ever run is 16 miles, but my speed isn't all that hot, nor do I really care to be able to beat Usain Bolt. I do want to be fit enough to do a Spartan run or a Tough Mudder..... those look like fun... but I will never be a competative runner. To get there, I will start small and work up to the tougher and longer events...

Comment

Friday:

The begining of my weekend. I had a ton of errands to run, and spent most of the driving, and I got all the stuff done I needed to. then there is exercise. What a mistake it is for me to try and do a workout at the end of a long tiring day. It was a Pull up and Squat day. I progressed to Horizontal pulls, and got 3 sets of 10 reps done. Not because I couldn' do more, but I wasn't motivated to do more than that. I did the squats later in the day, and I finished 3 sets of 50 jackknife squats. Next squat day I will move to the next step in the squat progression.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ 2 tsp apple jelly

L: 5oz cannd tuna with dill relish and @ 1 tbsp mayo

D: BAS
      Last edited by ssn679doc; 11-12-2012, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Saturday:

Spent all day at work. Not my normal routine, but fortunately it was a rest day.... By the time I got home, there wasn't much daylight left... so not much got done.

Diet:

B: 3 scrambled eggs, 1 sausage patty and 1/2 cup yogurt w/ apple jelly

L: chicken wings

D: BAS, grilled chuck tender steak (this was a completely mis-named piece of meat!)

S: Ate some sugar free Jello while I watched Texas A&M beat Alabama.... I'm not normally an A&M fan... but Gig 'em Aggies!

Comment

Sunday:

Today was an interval day; and it was god weather for it. Sunny and cool, but not too cold. Completed 3 miles doing 30 second intervals every 2 minutes. Had my best time so far for this distance. (35:45) almost a minute faster than last time. Got a bunch of farm stuff done. Had a neighbor bring his big-ass tractor over and plow up my garden spot for the spring. It was really cool to watch. I had never before watched how a plow turns the soil over....

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt

L: BAS, 2 grilled hamburgers w/ a slice of swiss cheese on top and spicy brown mustard

D: fasted... short day, going back to being "nocturnal" as my 4 year old grandson calls it.....
          Last edited by ssn679doc; 11-12-2012, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Monday:

Today will be a pushup and leg raise day. Incline push ups. My plan is to push to complete 3 sets of 50 reps. Still working on the knee tucks. Goal for today is to complete 3 sets of 20 reps.

Diet:

B: BAS, chicken stir fry left-overs. 2 large cups of coffee w/ heavy cream, no sweetner.

L: 5 oz can of tuna w/ dill relish and 1 tbsp mayo

D: BAS, w/ diced grilled chicken breast

Wt: 237.2 lb down @ 2 lb since last week.
            Last edited by ssn679doc; 11-12-2012, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Tuesday:

A rest day. So I will work on the garden. I have some hoeing that needs to be done, and the hoops for the garden beds need to be put in so I can cover the plants for fall/winter.

The incline push ups yesterday went fairly well. Got 3 sets done of 50, 40 and 30 reps. Next week I plan on 50, 50, 40. Knee tucks still kick my butt. Form is better, but reps aren't. Still 3 sets of 15 reps. Just keep pushing.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ 2 tsp apple jelly, 1/2 cup walnuts and pecans

L: BAS, and 2 small tough-ass chuck tender steaks..... I think my masseter muscles got a better work-out than my abs did!

D: Chicken breast w/ BAS

OK, so it turns out that it is going to rain all day... so much for gardening..... so I made Canadian Bacon instead. I purchased 3 pork loins on Friday for that purpose, so I pulled them out, coated them with the cure mix, bagged them and put them back in the fridge for 10 days. I am almost out of bacon, so it will be a meat market run for some fresh pork bellies...... then it will be fire up the smokehouse! yuuuummmmmm!!!
              Last edited by ssn679doc; 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Wednesday:

Today is a jog day. 5 miles at a slow pace. Sunny, breezy and cool (hell it's freaking cold with the wind chill!) Temp is in the 40s, so it's a pretty good day for a run. Finished in just under an hour. A little slower than last week. The last half of the course was in to a headwind. Pulse rate during the run was betwwen 144 and 148, though it did peak at 150 at one point. Legs feel tired, but not exhausted. Overall a good run.

Diet:

B: BAS, hamburger patty w/ slice of Swiss cheese

L: BAS w/ grilled chicken breast

S: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ strawberry preserves, 2 handfulls of walnut pieces

D: Bacon bits and collards cooked in bacon fat, seasoned with garlic and pepper.

Comment

Thursday:

Today was a rest day, so it was an opportunity to go do some shopping... Did a grocery shop for Thanksgiving. since some of our guests wil be "non-primal" eatters, I bought a bunch of stuff I normally don't buy.... sugar, flour yada yada yada. Which means next week, there will be non-primal stuff (cookies, banana nut bread and the like) in the house, and being the carb junkie I am, temptation will be huge. We are going to do a "nontraditional" Thanksgiving. No turkey this year. Saving that for Christmas. We are having a smoked brisket this year. I LOVE brisket... and am a fair hand at smoking them. I usually use a dry rub that is brown sugar based, with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, paprika and some other stuff in it. The sugar gives the meat a crust, but I think I will forgo the sugar this year and let some of the other spices shine a little brighter this time around. I plan to roast some acorn squash and pumpkin to go with the meal, and a BAS. I will not starve, not by any means... but I WILL be sorely tempted with all the baked goodies in the house.....

Diet:

B: 3 scrambled eggs and 2 pork sausage patties.

L: BAS with shredded cheese

S: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ strawberry preserves, 3 handfulls of walnut pieces and 1/2 of a small 72% chocolate bar from Trader Joes

D: BAS with a rotisserie chicken leg

Comment

Friday:

Spent Friday running errands, as is usually the case on Friday. I picked up 4 slabs of fresh pork belly to make bacon from, and a case of pork picnic hams for sausage. That turns out to be 8 hams.... a lot of sausage. Probably making mostly breakfast and sweet italian sausages. Maybe a little bratwurst, polish sausage, andoullie, and mexican chorizo.

I was supposed to do squats and pulls, but by the time I finished my errands, I was wiped out.

Comment

Saturday:

Was supposed to be a rest day, but I did yesterday's exercise today. I completed 3 set of 10 reps of horizontal pulls. Forarms were the limiting factor. Shoulders weren't tired, by my forearms were beat up by the tie I was done. Completed 3 sets of supported squats at 50, 40 and 30 reps each. Used a bar about waist height for "support", but didn't put much pressure on the bar. My quads were burning when I was done. Had some stiffness about an hour later when walking out to collect eggs.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ strawberry preserves, 3 scrambled eggs, 2 breakfast sausage patties

L: BAS, a breakfast sausage patty

D: BAS, home made vegetable beef soup

Comment

Sunday:

This was supposed to be a run day, but my thighs are really sore from Saturday. No run. I worked in the greenhouse building a frame and a door to enclose one end. Ended up climbing a ladder (my legs LOVED that! NOT!) to put in the frame pieces that were screwed in to the end greenhouse ribs. About half way through, the battery in my drill dies and I didn't have the back-up charged.... end of the line... try again tomorrow. Should have stayed outside.... but I didn't. As fate would have it, wifey-poo was doing some of her Thanksgiving/Christmas baking. Did I mention I should have stayed outside? The house smelled so freakin yummy... and my sweet tooth got the best of me. OK, maybe the 2 beers I had decreased my inhibitions and will power significantly... Did I mention that I should have stayed outside? Anyway, she uses a small "ice-cream" scoop to portion out the cookie dough so all the cookies come out the same size. I ate 5 scoops of raw chocolate chip and pecan cookie dough... (It's paleo cuz it has eggs in it! Right??) then she had a couple of misfit cookies that didn't turn out quite right, so like a good soldier, I threw myself on the "bad cookie" grenade. Then there were the oatmeal and cranberry cookies. I only ate 2 of them, so i wasn't really all that bad. By this time, I had a sugar and beer buzz going on..... It was very fortunate for me that I had to go to bed to get ready for work, or I would have done even more damage to my liver and pancreas! Geesh... what a day. and I slept like crap too.

Comment

Monday:

Today was a push-up and a leg raise day. Incline push ups, 3 sets of 50, 50 and 40 reps respectively. Knee tucks were better today than last week. 3 sets of 20, 20 and 15 reps respectively. Some improvement, and I was feelling the exercise a little lower in the abs than before.

After my exercise, I started working on the pork bellies. I cleaned the meat lugs and lids, then pulled out the bellies from the fridge. 4 bellies in the case, with skin intact so I spent some time taking the skin off, trying not to leave any skin and not take too much fat from the belly. I saved the skin, I may render the fat for lard later... and the skin becomes pork rinds... ohh yummy! Got the bellies weighed, salt cure measured and rubbed in, bellies in the lugs and off to the fridge. They will get turned and rubbed every 2 days and will be cured in 14 days, then it's soaking time to removed the excess salt, 2 days equilibrium and then off to the smoke house. All total there was just over 43.5 lbs of bacon, and the cost will be @ $3.00 per pound when all is said and done.... gosh I LOVE bacon......

Diet:

B: bowl of home made vegetable beef soup

L: BAS with sliced grilled pork tenderloin

S: I had some trimmings from the pork bellies that I fried up..... oh yum...

Comment

Tuesday:

A rest day, as far as exercise goes. Finished the framing in the greenhouse. Now the door needs to go in. Spent some time shelling some dried beans today. Not very exciting, but it kept me busy and out of the freezer where all the baked goods are.....

Diet:

B: 2 scrambled eggs and 3 pork sausage patties

L: BAS w/ sliced grilled pork tenderloin

S: fasted.... was hungry, but decided not to eat since I got in from working outside a little to close to bedtime to eat.

Comment

Wednesday:

Spent alot of time today running errands for tomorrow. Was supposed to run, but by the time I finished my errands, I had no energy. Pulled out the brisket. I also bought a whole chicken to puy on the smoker. Tomorrow will stat very early, so off to bed early for me.

Comment

Thursday: Happy Thanksgiving!

Today started at 3AM... had to get up and get the smoker started for cooking the brisket and chicken. I put the seasonings on the brisket yesterday. Chili powder, season salt, garlic, course ground pepper, cumin, cinnamon all rubbed in to the meat and then refrigerated overnight. The chicken I brined. I pulled them out to let them come to room temp prior to cooking. Got the smoker house fire started and the cooking chamber warmed prior to putting the meat on. the bird got trussed and hung, the brisket on a grill rack. Cooking started a little after 5AM. fire tended every 1/2 hor or so until @ 11AM.
                                Since the wife doesn't like smoked meat much, I grilled some chicken breast for her. She was happy.
                                Cooking for the day's festivities stared on Wednesday. I skinned and diced some acorn squash, delicata squash, pumpkin and butternut squash. All going in to a roasting pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper. We also had a sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, home made crescent rolls, fresh garden salad, and for dessert we had pumpkin pie and a spiced apple bar. There was a cheese and meat tray and a veggie tray for snacking, as well as banana bread (with a paleo version too) and her biscotti.
                                So, if you left the house hungry, it was your own damned fault!

Earlier in the week, I used the odometer on the car to mark out 1/2 mile increments on the long leg of my road. It's a little hillier and curvier than my normal trek. So, I now have a 4 mile "track" marked off on one end of the street and a 2 1/4 mile piece on the other end. Today I ran the long side and jogged a true 5 miles. Set a nice easy pace and finished in a little over an hour.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt with strawberry preserves

L: Brisket, smoked chicken, sweet potato casserole, roasted vegetables and iced tea... had 2nd's of the brisket and roasted veg and sweet potato...... I was as full as a tick.... and 2 hours later I added a slice of pumpkin pie and a spiced apple bar to the mix...

S: Are you kidding? I'm still stuffed!

Comment

Working...
                                X