Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    That's a bummer, and I'm pretty sure you gots better things to do on your nights off than sit around Elmer Fudd like waiting for the buggers to show up....
    true..... sleep.... at least thats the version I'm tellin....

Comment

• gotta love this!
      US candidate wants edible roadkill legalised

Lol, your probably right, but at the time I'd 'ave held me own for a good couple of seconds....
      in your dreams! actually the mutt is pretty civilised till you try to remove a freshly killed deer off him. little cute 4 month old puppy with huge paws, a stringy tail and massive floppy ears turned into a snarling, snapping dog in a flash. I expect him to be better now as I can take his food away without drama. fresh killed prey tho could be a different matter. I would prob be fine but anyone else may get their butt bitten.
      oh, I have a nice shotgun for their ass.....
      we never try to shoot deer with a shotgun. you can do it with solid shot in but lots of drama getting the shot out. it makes big holes. also the range on a shot gun isn't good which is poss what you are after if they are in the backyard. a decent assault rifle is prob better. snuff them as quick as possible being the aim. ours tend to be most active at dusk and dawn. do you know what species yours are? we have reds and fallows near us. I think we also have white tail, sika, waipiti, sambar and ruse in smaller numbers.

Comment

• Here in Utah we have mule deer, they're most active and dusk and dawn also.

Comment

• nice antlers. they are like red deer ones. I only have one set of antlers off a stag I shot but I shot it after the roar. it was a fallow stag so they were palminate? is that the right word? squashed lol how big would those deer be? it looks quite big. sorta small pony sized but it is hard to tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
            gotta love this!
            US candidate wants edible roadkill legalised

in your dreams! actually the mutt is pretty civilised till you try to remove a freshly killed deer off him. little cute 4 month old puppy with huge paws, a stringy tail and massive floppy ears turned into a snarling, snapping dog in a flash. I expect him to be better now as I can take his food away without drama. fresh killed prey tho could be a different matter. I would prob be fine but anyone else may get their butt bitten.
            we never try to shoot deer with a shotgun. you can do it with solid shot in but lots of drama getting the shot out. it makes big holes. also the range on a shot gun isn't good which is poss what you are after if they are in the backyard. a decent assault rifle is prob better. snuff them as quick as possible being the aim. ours tend to be most active at dusk and dawn. do you know what species yours are? we have reds and fallows near us. I think we also have white tail, sika, waipiti, sambar and ruse in smaller numbers.
            game laws in this area require the use of a shotgun where I live. In other areas, more rural areas, long guns are allowed.... I would prefer to use a rifle, but the state says I can't..... we have white tail, mostly.... and not the big ones.....

Comment

• do you put solid shot in then? you can kill a person with a shotgun so you should be able to kill a small deer but you'd need to be close. imagine pulling all the pellets out. white tail I am told are incredibly crafty. if they make it to over a year they are almost impossible to shoot unless you have a good dog that can creep and find them and you are able to follow the dog silently. I have had some white tail venison and it was nice. nicer than red but not as nice as fallow. altho it was a stag that had been shot on stewart island during the roar so it was prob incredibly nice considering.

Comment

• Due to me woeful lack of knowledge of guns and hunting and stuff, I be keeping a bit quiet here, but will say nice beastie there Goldie and the world needs more people like Tink Nathan!

Comment

• In WA state, we had deer and elk, and even mooses! I've had venison from home cooking to fancy schmancy white table cloth restaurants and it was too gamey for me, but I do love elk. An old friend told me that venison tastes totally different in the states where they eat a lot of corn (she was from Indiana).

I never realized that mule deer were so pudgy. I wonder if they get a lot of flack from other species. All of the other deer used to laugh and call him names; they wouldn't let poor mule deer play ... never mind.

The rain woke me up, so I thought I'd stop and say hi while I sipped some vodka and lemon in the wee hours of the morning.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

do you put solid shot in then? you can kill a person with a shotgun so you should be able to kill a small deer but you'd need to be close. imagine pulling all the pellets out. white tail I am told are incredibly crafty. if they make it to over a year they are almost impossible to shoot unless you have a good dog that can creep and find them and you are able to follow the dog silently. I have had some white tail venison and it was nice. nicer than red but not as nice as fallow. altho it was a stag that had been shot on stewart island during the roar so it was prob incredibly nice considering.
                    you can use buckshot or slugs. There are about 9 shot pellets in 00 buchshot, and a slug is a solid piece of shot.

Comment

...squashed lol how big would those deer be? it looks quite big. sorta small pony sized but it is hard to tell.
                      Average weight for a mule deer buck is ~250 pounds (113 kilos). So, yeah, they're pretty big. Sweetie was on his way to work at 5am three Septembers ago, riding his Ducati, and he saw one of those running up from a field. He stopped the motorcycle, the guy in a pickup coming the other way also stopped, giving the deer a few dozen yards to run across the road between them. Well, the deer decided that Sweetie was a target, veered to get him, and lowered his rack and ran him over.

Five broken ribs, punctured lung, broken arm, broken collarbone, broken ankle. Eleven days in the hospital, four of them in intensive care. It's a good thing Sweetie was wearing his full protective kit--the only actual marks on his body were bruises on the left side of his chest from the buck's rack. Damages to the Ducati, $4000 (just broken plastic from falling over.) The buck ran off. Sweetie=0, buck=1. Sweetie won't ride the Duc in the dark any more!

We also have moose, elk, and antelope here. I have a hunting coworker whose family doesn't like elk, so I have about 8 pounds of ground elk meat in my freezer! And on the way to the ski resort last week, we saw a moose cow that had been hit by a car. Moose was dead and there were lots of car pieces scattered around. There have also been some white-tail sightings here, but those aren't native to Utah.

Comment

• I've had venison from home cooking to fancy schmancy white table cloth restaurants and it was too gamey for me, but I do love elk. An old friend told me that venison tastes totally different in the states where they eat a lot of corn (she was from Indiana).
                        I don't find venison gamey unless it is a stag and it hasn't been hung. our deer usually hide in the bush but spend a lot of time grazing in the hills or open tussock so they are way less gamey. wild hogs are the same. depends on the age and sex and what they have been eating. I've never had elk altho there is rumoured to be moose still in southland. it is a rumour as I don't think any have been seen in over 100 yrs and I don't even know how many were let out to begin with.

There are about 9 shot pellets in 00 buchshot
                        9 big holes LOL you can also apparently shot deer with black powder rifles but you'd want to get them first shot as it takes a while to reload.

Damages to the Ducati, $4000 (just broken plastic from falling over.) The buck ran off. Sweetie=0, buck=1. Sweetie won't ride the Duc in the dark any more!
                        unreal how much the Tupperware costs to fix.

Comment

I don't find venison gamey unless it is a stag and it hasn't been hung. our deer usually hide in the bush but spend a lot of time grazing in the hills or open tussock so they are way less gamey. wild hogs are the same. depends on the age and sex and what they have been eating. I've never had elk altho there is rumoured to be moose still in southland. it is a rumour as I don't think any have been seen in over 100 yrs and I don't even know how many were let out to begin with.

9 big holes LOL you can also apparently shot deer with black powder rifles but you'd want to get them first shot as it takes a while to reload.

A guy I used to work with used to live in Idaho, and used to tell a story of an encounter that he and some friends had with a moose on the road. They were driving a VW bus/minivan (old style.. the kind they put the camper roof in..). A moose was standing in the road and wouldn't move. The driver (dumbass) got pissed and started honking the horn at he moose to get it to move.. it moved alright... right at them... The spread of the horns was wider than the bus.. it hit the van and nearly pushed it over with them inside.... the driver learneda valuable lesson... never piss of an animal that weighs more than the vehicle you are driving....

Comment

Lol....

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                            A guy I used to work with used to live in Idaho, and used to tell a story of an encounter that he and some friends had with a moose on the road. They were driving a VW bus/minivan (old style.. the kind they put the camper roof in..). A moose was standing in the road and wouldn't move. The driver (dumbass) got pissed and started honking the horn at he moose to get it to move.. it moved alright... right at them... The spread of the horns was wider than the bus.. it hit the van and nearly pushed it over with them inside.... the driver learneda valuable lesson... never piss of an animal that weighs more than the vehicle you are driving....
                            Biffing a deer is one thing, but taking on as moose.... I s'pose a days not wasted if you learn something, fair to say, he'd a learned something that day....

Comment

• I s'pose a days not wasted if you learn something
                              an awesome goal to live your life by!

is there only one type of moose? the moose in our country is a tad of a mystery as to whether they are still here or not. I would expect the first person almost to see one to shoot it if they had a gun and were out hunting. even I would find it tempting and I am not even vaguely trigger happy. and if DOC found where they were, they would prob cull them in an evil and wasteful manner.

Secret snaps reveal elusive Fiordland moose | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News
                              On a wild moose chase | Stuff.co.nz

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                                ... A moose was standing in the road and wouldn't move. The driver (dumbass) got pissed and started honking the horn at he moose to get it to move.. it moved alright... right at them... The spread of the horns was wider than the bus.. it hit the van and nearly pushed it over with them inside.... the driver learneda valuable lesson... never piss of an animal that weighs more than the vehicle you are driving....
                                Sweetie was stationed at Loring AFB in northern Maine a looooong time ago. He used to tow B-52s (a ginormous bomber, for non-airplane people) with a giant tow vehicle. The tow vehicle had huge concrete-filled bumpers. They'd sometimes have to "shoo" a moose off the runway and they used that tow vehicle. The moose would occasionally charge it, and even though the tow vehicle weighed around 18 tons, the moose could still make it vibrate.

A moose is one animal I wouldn't want to face down. Unless I had a rifle and a legal permit to shoot it!

Mmmmm moose steak...

Comment

Working...
                                X