Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Went fir a swim this morning... Its been a loooong long time since I have done that.... Alternated between crawl and breast stroke.... swam for about 30 minutes..... I had forgotten how much work swimming is! Feels good though....

Today is a holiday, but I have to go to work tonight. So bed time in about 4 hours... this switching between nights and days just kills me..... and it probably part of why I'm not losing weight... grrrr
    Strangley enough, this is in our news today about shift work and health

I had to take one yesterday as well after what could be only called a shite weekend, hit the wing mirror of me motor, me back went again, and to top it off the car battery was as flat as a witches tit yesterday morning, so a wasted day off, 70 notes lighter and the joy of changing the battery with a dodgy back, and I wonder why I drink....

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
    Saw this and thought fondly of you and DD Cider sorbet with cheddar and mint recipe | Life and style | theguardian.com ..DD you can skip the 'flake'.
    That looks pretty good, sans flake of course....I've had Janets Jungle Juice at an energy drink festival, it's that dry it's dusty....

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
    with you here!i can appreciate where the wife is coming from with tea and milk and sweetner, except i am coffee and milk. I've ditched the sweetners. you can get xylitol which is supposedly a natural sweetner which is incredibly sugar-like. honey is only nice in tea if you do chai tea. and once you start getting into coconut milk, the calorie count is up there with cream. and you end up having to drink more as it never quite hits the spot.
    Ditto, don't do sweeteners, but can only have tea with a splash of milk, doesn't taste right to me with anything else!

Comment

Tasted the fermented beets/turnips. Not bad... very crunchy, a little sour/tangy, a little salty..... an aquired taste, as I have never really eaten fermented foods before...
      Snap. I had a nibble of the sauerkraut that I made months ago and has been sitting in the fridge ever since. I couldn't bring myself to try it because there was no time that I could afford to get sick. I try to tell myself it's no worse than yoghurt - but I don't really eat that either. Finally I cleaned the fridge and decided to feed it to the chickens as a tester, but I did brave a wee taste. The chickens survived, and so did I, but I still haven't done it again.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Wow I just (like within ten minutes) strained out this week's batch of yogurt and decided to keep a jar of the whey just in case I thought if something to do with it. Do you use any whey in your kraut or just wild bacteria? Last time I tried wild it turned half the colors of the rainbow and stank like old socks... Hoping for a more controlled rot this time...

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
          Wow I just (like within ten minutes) strained out this week's batch of yogurt and decided to keep a jar of the whey just in case I thought if something to do with it. Do you use any whey in your kraut or just wild bacteria? Last time I tried wild it turned half the colors of the rainbow and stank like old socks... Hoping for a more controlled rot this time...
          You can use the whey as a starter for fermenting fruit, or kraut. Before I started my whole30, I ate yogurt and would pour the whey off into the jar with the kraut. You can use the whey to ferment fruit, so it gets lactofermented instead of yeast-alcohol fermented.
          If you use about 2 tsp of non-iodized salt per pound of cabbage, you should have enough salt to discourage the unwanted bacteria and yeasts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
            Snap. I had a nibble of the sauerkraut that I made months ago and has been sitting in the fridge ever since. I couldn't bring myself to try it because there was no time that I could afford to get sick. I try to tell myself it's no worse than yoghurt - but I don't really eat that either. Finally I cleaned the fridge and decided to feed it to the chickens as a tester, but I did brave a wee taste. The chickens survived, and so did I, but I still haven't done it again.
            My kraut has been in the fridge since Novembebr-ish.... and it seems fine... I'm sure the chickens enjoyed your cabbage!

Comment

• Did you end up doing that BOBB run in the end, Doc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                Did you end up doing that BOBB run in the end, Doc?
                Nah, the wife had other plans for me that day.... so no BBQ or oysters.... one of my coworkers did.... she said it was a very small field of runners....

Comment

You can use the whey as a starter for fermenting fruit, or kraut. Before I started my whole30, I ate yogurt and would pour the whey off into the jar with the kraut. You can use the whey to ferment fruit, so it gets lactofermented instead of yeast-alcohol fermented.
                  If you use about 2 tsp of non-iodized salt per pound of cabbage, you should have enough salt to discourage the unwanted bacteria and yeasts.
                  Awesome. Did you just replace the water with the whey in total? What sort of container do you ferment in? I think because I just used a large glass jar it maybe didn't help.

Comment

You can use the whey as a starter for fermenting fruit, or kraut. Before I started my whole30,.
                    Remind me Doc - when did you start your whole 30 ??????? As in what day are you now ??????
                    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Nah, the wife had other plans for me that day.... so no BBQ or oysters.... one of my coworkers did.... she said it was a very small field of runners....
                      No point arguing with the boss I 'spose, safer in the long run....bummer though, if it was small turn out it would have meant more oysters & BBQ for youself....

Did you start the W30 on Jan the 1nth?

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                        Awesome. Did you just replace the water with the whey in total? What sort of container do you ferment in? I think because I just used a large glass jar it maybe didn't help.
                        I use a quart canning jar with a lid and a band put on loosely

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                          Remind me Doc - when did you start your whole 30 ??????? As in what day are you now ??????
                          Started New Years day... on day 22 now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                            No point arguing with the boss I 'spose, safer in the long run....bummer though, if it was small turn out it would have meant more oysters & BBQ for youself....

Did you start the W30 on Jan the 1nth?
                            That would be true as to the oysters and BBQ... I was thinking about winning my age division! lol

Yes started me whole30 on Diaper changing day.... got rid of the old guy in diapers for a brand new guy in diapers..

Comment

• Well, last night was sort of "eventful"... A big snowstorm hits the east coast... they were projecting upwards of 5" of snow here. Basically everything shuts down when the weathergeeks even mention snow in the forecast here...... SO about 4pm out heat pump decides to quit pumping heat.... the temps got down to 19 degrees outside, wind in the 20 mph range... snow starts, we get about 2".... When I got up this morning, the thermostat said it was 52 degrees in the house.... fortunately we have a couple of electric space heaters to "warm" the room we are in, and we have lots of blankets, as wifey is a prolific crocheter and quilter..... She, being an ice-queen, sleep with just the one quilt on the bed.... me, being the candyazz, slept under an extra crocheted throw AND a small quilt (folded over to make 2 layers).... Yes, I slept in socks..... and was toasty warm allll night long... until I got outta bed...

Let the birds out... well, I opened their houses, and the little chicken-shites stayed inside... OK, can't say that I blame them....

So to occupy my time this morning, I made a batch of a butternut squash soup. I used the recipe from the "Practical Paleo" book.... it was quite tasty! And I cooked some collard greens in some chicken stock with a piece Canadian Bacon cut in to fairly large chunks.... Funny how I'm not all that cold right now..

Comment

• Oooh diapers, Kinky.

Nice job on your W30.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X