No announcement yet.

Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You could set up a little furnace in the chicken coops for the girls to sit around and cackle-gossip about their mates.....................
    a couple of wee couches..............some horny roosters for a bit of fun....... Oh the life ay
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
      You could set up a little furnace in the chicken coops for the girls to sit around and cackle-gossip about their mates.....................
      a couple of wee couches..............some horny roosters for a bit of fun....... Oh the life ay
      lol... couple of problem... first, I'm not trying to roast the chickens alive... they have a bale of staw in the bottom of each of the houses... fire and straw is a bad mix..... Second.. I have no roosters.... so no fun for the ladies.... besides, I'm not a big fan of surprises in the eggs... lol

Comment

• fertilised eggs are supposed to be easier to digest or something like that. I always kept a roo with my chooks for their social order but I only had 12 or so chooks including the roo.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
          fertilised eggs are supposed to be easier to digest or something like that. I always kept a roo with my chooks for their social order but I only had 12 or so chooks including the roo.
          I have heard that as well.... I have a problem with roos for a couple of reasons. The first is they are noisy as hell! The ones we have had NEVER stopped crowing... bastages! The other main reason is that they are aggressive, and with small grandkids around, I really don't want them being attacked by a roo.... I have had a roo come after me... and I ain't no petitie thing...

Comment

• I found the aggressiveness depended on the breed. we've had some incredibly well mannered roos who were like feathering teddy bears. we've also had mean and nasty roos. it does make it easier to bump them off and eat them. my teddy bear roos all died of old age.

Comment

I found the aggressiveness depended on the breed. we've had some incredibly well mannered roos who were like feathering teddy bears. we've also had mean and nasty roos. it does make it easier to bump them off and eat them. my teddy bear roos all died of old age.
              There certainly is much truth to that... and I guess I have gotten only the nasty breeds. Some breeds are naturally nervous, others very calm and docile...

Comment

if you want a url, I can PM you one but you are NOT allowed to post it! it's not that exciting lol
                Lol, that might ruin my mental picture, which has been in overdrive for the last few days....

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                lol.. I don't re-post pics anywhere.... I'm not that big of a creep.
                Nor me.

Monday... gray, cloudy day that started out in the 60's when I let the birds out to temps in the 40's about 5 hours later. No exercise to speak of. I did pull some meat out of the freezer. A chuck roast, some thick pork chops, chicken, and a package of polish sausage.

This past weekend the wife made some braised chinese cabbage..... which was pretty tasty. When I got up tonight, I boiled the sausage for my lunch, and put half of it (about 5 ounces) in with some sauerkraut I made. The other half I ate for breakfast with some braised cabbage and kabocha squash. Finished breakfast off with a couple of handfulls of dates.... Lunch will be a BAS, polish sausage and sauerkraut and an apple.

Today is gonna be interesting...... the temp is currently 22... with the wind, it feels like it's 7. The low temp tonight is supposed to be 12..... the high today is supposed to be in the low 20's... but sunny and breezy...... It's gonna be hll trying to keep the chickens water fro freezing. May have to put the waterers in the houses to keep them a little warmer....
                Food sounds good. You got freeze the balls of a billiard table temperatures, and we got enough rain to make Noah worried, don't ya just love winter....

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                You could set up a little furnace in the chicken coops for the girls to sit around and cackle-gossip about their mates.....................
                Lol, sounds the life to me....

Steering clear of chook rearing talk, only thing I knows to do with them is to cook and eat um....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                  Lol, that might ruin my mental picture, which has been in overdrive for the last few days....

Nor me.

Food sounds good. You got freeze the balls of a billiard table temperatures, and we got enough rain to make Noah worried, don't ya just love winter....

Lol, sounds the life to me....

Steering clear of chook rearing talk, only thing I knows to do with them is to cook and eat um....
                  The term we used in the Navy is "Cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey"... apparently it goes back to the days of sail... Love winter, especially with all this Global Warming going on!

Ah, I'm fair accomplished at cooking and eating them as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                    The term we used in the Navy is "Cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey"... apparently it goes back to the days of sail... Love winter, especially with all this Global Warming going on!
                    Quick goggle found this;
                    Some references say that the brass triangles that supported stacks of iron cannon-balls on sailing ships were called monkeys and that in cold weather the metal contracted, causing the balls to fall off
                    Though there might be some doubt to it's credulity....There's always the old pawnbrokers sign as well....

Ah, I'm fair accomplished at cooking and eating them as well!
                    I can well imagine with what you put in the freezer a few months back....

Comment

Quick goggle found this;

Though there might be some doubt to it's credulity....There's always the old pawnbrokers sign as well....

I can well imagine with what you put in the freezer a few months back....
                      yup... that would be the reference to which I was refering....

Comment

• Yup... Got home... all of the chicken waterers were frozen. Fortunately they were not full, so I could pour in hot water and melt the ice. I left one outside for a while, and went back to check it out... it was starting to freeze.... More hot agua, and put inside the house... hope it stays thawed....

On the way home the radio station was talking about favorite soups..... so I came home and cut up part of a chuck roast, browned it, added carrots, celery, turnips, bell pepper, onions in some beef broth.... added cumin, sage, salt, pepper, garlic, and it is simmering on the stove.... will add some bok choy a little later Looking forward to my dinner....

Comment

• MMMM warm and tasty. I'll be dreaming of your dinner.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                            MMMM warm and tasty. I'll be dreaming of your dinner.
                            It was pretty tasty... had some before I went ot bed (my dinner), had some at breakfast, and having it with a BAS for lunch.... Chuck roast make a very tasty soup meat...

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                              Yup... Got home... all of the chicken waterers were frozen. Fortunately they were not full, so I could pour in hot water and melt the ice. I left one outside for a while, and went back to check it out... it was starting to freeze.... More hot agua, and put inside the house... hope it stays thawed....
                              So do I, won't be fun for the chooks hgaving to lick there water....

On the way home the radio station was talking about favorite soups..... so I came home and cut up part of a chuck roast, browned it, added carrots, celery, turnips, bell pepper, onions in some beef broth.... added cumin, sage, salt, pepper, garlic, and it is simmering on the stove.... will add some bok choy a little later Looking forward to my dinner....
                              Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                              MMMM warm and tasty. I'll be dreaming of your dinner.
                              That does sound tasty, did you chunk up the chuck, Doc? Note to self, must get/make some beef broth.....

Comment

So do I, won't be fun for the chooks hgaving to lick there water....

That does sound tasty, did you chunk up the chuck, Doc? Note to self, must get/make some beef broth.....
                                no, that ice might break their peckers....

Yes, the chuck roast was cut up in to 1/2 cubes before browning...

Comment

Working...
                                X