Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm the same with cheese....
    i will swop you the bacon. i dont know why i dont like it i am always perplexed at the big thing here with it. and non free range bacon is nasty from both a taste, ingredient and animal rights pov. i can almost cope if it is free range bacon and grilled to the point of having the fat crispy and then in a sandwich of proper crusty bread and butter. but it really isnt worth the downhill slide there on the gluten front!

do you know what a boil up is doc? there's a recipe here but it can be adapted to what is around. the real nice waxy maori potatoes work well and it is always better the next day heated up. puha also isnt watercress. it's the european sow thistle.

Traditional Maori recipes | Drinks | MiNDFOOD

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      Good morning Doc and all.

Doc, I know hindsight is 20/20, but there's a TV chef named Anne Burrell who says that soup is the one thing she salts at the end. And for just the reason you cited. She does salt any veggies/meat if she sautes them before making the soup, though.

Chicken, bacon, pork soup sounds absolutely fantastic!
      I am very familiar with Anne Burrell. I watch her show quite often... and I have her cookbook.... Love her "loosey goosey" style!

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
        i will swop you the bacon. i dont know why i dont like it i am always perplexed at the big thing here with it. and non free range bacon is nasty from both a taste, ingredient and animal rights pov. i can almost cope if it is free range bacon and grilled to the point of having the fat crispy and then in a sandwich of proper crusty bread and butter. but it really isnt worth the downhill slide there on the gluten front!

do you know what a boil up is doc? there's a recipe here but it can be adapted to what is around. the real nice waxy maori potatoes work well and it is always better the next day heated up. puha also isnt watercress. it's the european sow thistle.

Never heard of a boil up before... but I will look it up on that link... pretty cool site!

Comment

• I like cheese *and* bacon...though it's got to be cheese FTW. Can't beat a bit of Stinking Bishop, yarg, chevre, Blue Vinney... I wonder if DD has gone green about the gills yet?
          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

I do eat it, not a regular basis though, think it's blown up a bit really, saying that keep meaning to make me own.... That boil up looks half tidy!

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
            I like cheese *and* bacon...though it's got to be cheese FTW. Can't beat a bit of Stinking Bishop, yarg, chevre, Blue Vinney... I wonder if DD has gone green about the gills yet?
            Lol, had a bit of palid moment then, for sure....my brother likes this French stuff called epoisses, which smells like a midden heap, don't stand in my way if that's in a couple of mile radius of me.....

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
              I like cheese *and* bacon...though it's got to be cheese FTW. Can't beat a bit of Stinking Bishop, yarg, chevre, Blue Vinney... I wonder if DD has gone green about the gills yet?
              Whats not to like about a cheese called yarg.... sounds like a Celtic battle cry or such

Comment

• I thought yarg was Pirate cheese.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                  I thought yarg was Pirate cheese.
                  That would work too....

Comment

• Was in the local cheese and wine shop to get some Spanish chorizo for the paella I am fixing for Christmas with the family (on the Saturday after Christmas), and I found a J.K.'s Farmhouse Scrumpy Cider.... Yes DD, I procured said delight and quaffed a cup in your honor!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                      Was in the local cheese and wine shop to get some Spanish chorizo for the paella I am fixing for Christmas with the family (on the Saturday after Christmas), and I found a J.K.'s Farmhouse Scrumpy Cider.... Yes DD, I procured said delight and quaffed a cup in your honor!
                      Top man, gots me a tear in me eye now....

Comment

• Top man, gots me a tear in me eye now....
                        LOL boys!!! 2 funny. i will make you cry too. i had a fit of self righteousness and actually turned back at the last minute as i was about to go in the bottle store to get a bottle of something. it was gonna be a girly liquer to go in my coffee as i suddenly figured i didnt really need all the sugar as i do actually prefer coffee without sweetness and i will have enough chocolate and food to last me a week probably already. i may have to siddle in there to get some more whisky or rum at some stage but that is totally different LOL

boil ups are awesome DD. people often put dough balls in them so those bits are to be avoided. you need to make heaps are it improves when you reheat it the next day. i sometimes make GF rewana bread to go with it which makes it even yummier. and since rice is now paleo, it is not even verboten.

i also remembered my great grandad apparently used to get limburger cheese shipped to him way back when dad was a small child. we're talking poss late 1920s/ very early 1930s. the long way. as in a few months in transit without a fridge. dad thankfully retained his sense of humour on the whole experience.

Comment

LOL boys!!! 2 funny. i will make you cry too. i had a fit of self righteousness and actually turned back at the last minute as i was about to go in the bottle store to get a bottle of something. it was gonna be a girly liquer to go in my coffee as i suddenly figured i didnt really need all the sugar as i do actually prefer coffee without sweetness and i will have enough chocolate and food to last me a week probably already. i may have to siddle in there to get some more whisky or rum at some stage but that is totally different LOL
                          Lol, I applaud your fortitude on the liquer, but don't forget that siddle....

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                          boil ups are awesome DD. people often put dough balls in them so those bits are to be avoided. you need to make heaps are it improves when you reheat it the next day. i sometimes make GF rewana bread to go with it which makes it even yummier. and since rice is now paleo, it is not even verboten.
                          It is on my to do list, a big batch a that will feed me for days!

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                          i also remembered my great grandad apparently used to get limburger cheese shipped to him way back when dad was a small child. we're talking poss late 1920s/ very early 1930s. the long way. as in a few months in transit without a fridge. dad thankfully retained his sense of humour on the whole experience.
                          Cor, that must of been a tad fragrant....

Comment

• Well, I am off from work until after the new year. I will poke me nose in every once and a while and say hi, tell a tale, and the like. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..... don't have too much boil up or too many energy drinks!

Comment

• And the very same to you sir, hope you have a good one, enjoy that time off with a couple of relaxing J.K's....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                                And the very same to you sir, hope you have a good one, enjoy that time off with a couple of relaxing J.K's....
                                theys a bit pricy... at $7 A 20 OZ BOTTLE..... but I do have some Angry Orchard and a couple of pear ciders left... in fact I feel a powerful thirst coming on.....

Comment

Working...
                                X