No announcement yet.

Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwi/American translation, please... "kete"??
    a kete is a flax basket. using my new photo posting abilities....

like so

and "flax" is harakeke or phormium tenax. within the species there are at least 250 odd known cultivars which have been used to weaving forever. nelson's fleet sailed on harakeke rope way back. yet you can also make a lace collar with the fibre if you get the right cultivar. here is a pic. this is the harakeke at punakaiki or the pancake rocks on the west coast. it's like kevlar to weave with so you'd need to be keen

Comment

• Seaweed - thanks!!

The flax I know is linum usitatissimum, which you also probably know. What a great, complete answer - I really appreciate it!
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• the early white settlers called harakeke "flax" after the fibre which is how it came to be called "flax". i can only do kete and kete whakairo. i know how to strip the fibre out the traditional way but i dont know how to weave with it. they cut our funding before i could study that =(

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
          the early white settlers called harakeke "flax" after the fibre which is how it came to be called "flax". i can only do kete and kete whakairo. i know how to strip the fibre out the traditional way but i dont know how to weave with it. they cut our funding before i could study that =(
          Funding cut and missing weaving - BOOO! I am told my German grandfather knew how to do German basket-making, but sadly he died when I was five and have no memories of it, or pictures. I brought my German traditional shopping baskets back with me when I returned to the States, and I still proudly use them, hard. And they are still in near-perfect condition. Take THAT, plastic bags of the world!
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• my german great grandfather was a carpenter i think. there is a book here
            The Complete Book of Basketry: Dorothy Wright: 9780486418056: Amazon.com: Books with more european basketry ( british ) in. harakeke doesnt stand up on its own so kete are softer. we do get a climbing vine called kareao or supplejack which weaves like willow. it was used to make eel traps and the curled bits at the end of fish hooks before metal arrived. i have seen the odd european basket made with it. you really need a source as it is quite scarce and the ability to make those types of basket.

sorry doc. hijacking your journal to talk weaving!

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
              Kiwi/American translation, please... "kete"??

I am slooowly coming along with Dhansakdave's English, but Kiwi regularly trips me up!
              CC i gave you some kete when in america. Anyway i think thats what they are called!!!!!!!!! Little flax bags, used for all sorts of things. Did i show you how to wet them and change their shape????????
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                CC i gave you some kete when in america. Anyway i think thats what they are called!!!!!!!!! Little flax bags, used for all sorts of things. Did i show you how to wet them and change their shape????????
                Yes, and yes, Gwamma! As soon as I saw the photo of the kete Seaweed posted, I said "Hey - we own a version of that!" And I do, thanks to you. I just didn't remember the term "kete". And you did show me how to wet them.

So I now have stiff and sturdy German shopping baskets; softer-sided large work baskets from Ghana that I got from a minor Ghanian tribal prince who owned his own African import shop close to where we used to live in NJ, and real NZ kete!

Three countries represented in basketry, all meant to be used in daily life...
                image.jpg

Comment

• Mine is a wee cheap version of seas clever one!!!!!!
                  "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Cool baskets!

I wanted to take a moment to apologize to Doc for some comments that I made on another thread about the Tea Party, that should have been directed at just the person I was speaking to and not to an entire group of people. I read your comments and you were right. Just because one screeching loon is a member doesn't mean all of the members are. I respect both your words and actions and I feel bad that I may have offended you. I don't post often on your thread but I read it everyday. I hope you are having a wonderful holiday with your family and again, I am sorry for my poor choice of words.

Comment

• When a thread is about politics, religion, carbs, or iodine, I stay out. That means the majority of what I read at MDA are journals!

And before I click on that "submit reply" button, I ask myself: What would my mom think about this reply? I can't tell you the number of times I've backed out of a reply--more than the replies I've actually posted, I'm sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                        When a thread is about politics, religion, carbs, or iodine, I stay out. That means the majority of what I read at MDA are journals!

And before I click on that "submit reply" button, I ask myself: What would my mom think about this reply? I can't tell you the number of times I've backed out of a reply--more than the replies I've actually posted, I'm sure!
                        Very good advice! I don't usually get sucked in but I let that one get the better of me.

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                          Very good advice! I don't usually get sucked in but I let that one get the better of me.
                          Occasionally I get sucked into one of those threads, but then I get to the "mom" question before posting... works every time!

Comment

• Originally posted by vh67 View Post
                            Cool baskets!

I wanted to take a moment to apologize to Doc for some comments that I made on another thread about the Tea Party, that should have been directed at just the person I was speaking to and not to an entire group of people. I read your comments and you were right. Just because one screeching loon is a member doesn't mean all of the members are. I respect both your words and actions and I feel bad that I may have offended you. I don't post often on your thread but I read it everyday. I hope you are having a wonderful holiday with your family and again, I am sorry for my poor choice of words.
                            No apology is necessary... Douche was being douchie... so I called him on it.. I'm sure he flamed me, and I really don't give 2 flying fuzzy squirrel nuts what he thinks about me...

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                              Mine is a wee cheap version of seas clever one!!!!!!
                              Ah, but mine was hand-delivered from half a world away by the coolest Schatz I wish I lived nearer to!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                                When a thread is about politics, religion, carbs, or iodine, I stay out. That means the majority of what I read at MDA are journals!

Ditto, on both counts, though most of the ones I've backed out of are because they were too outrageous, even for me!

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                                No apology is necessary... Douche was being douchie... so I called him on it.. I'm sure he flamed me, and I really don't give 2 flying fuzzy squirrel nuts what he thinks about me...
                                Might have to go a looking to see what all the fuss is about!

Comment

Working...
                                X