Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
    interesting. our flightless nocturnal parrot, the kakapo, who was here of recent at the ecosanctuary apparently has the slowest metabolism of any bird ever measured. they're vegetarian so they are always eating too.
    Call me wierd, but I am interested to know how they measure a birds metabolism? Do I recall you mentioning that bird somewhere before, bloody great things aren't they?

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
    You pay for it one way or another.....
    Ain't that the truth!

Comment

• Call me wierd, but I am interested to know how they measure a birds metabolism? Do I recall you mentioning that bird somewhere before, bloody great things aren't they?
      i dont know how they measure it. they are fascinating birds and the one they tour around the ecosanctuaries for a few months of the year is pretty tame. they hand reared him by accident on his own and he thinks he is a person. he's the parrot who shagged steven fry's head i think. quite unreal in the flesh when you see one close up. all those high quality digital pics just are not the same. they are also very slow and almost surreally other worldy so i can see how they would have a slow metabolism.

Comment

• "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• he looks alot yellower in that pic than irl. they seriously are the same colour as the bush which you cant really describe accurately till you've seen one next to some bush. you could almost trip over one without seeing it if you didnt know it was there. unless you were a dog or a mustelid and then you would smell them. they have a very interesting sweet smell.

Comment

• Interesting looking bird....

Not much going on today.... did push ups and leg raises. Am almost ready to progress on push ups and I hit the progression or leg raises today.

The only other thing I did today was watch the movie Rocky Balboa.... it wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't as "motivational" as the other Rocky movies. It was kind of gray and overcast today, and a bit breezy. A good day for watching a movie and hoisting a cider or 3....

Comment

• Interesting looking bird....
              there are only 124 of them left in the world and they are the only flightless parrot in the world, the only parrot that lek breeds and one of only 2 nocturnal parrot species. we almost lost them too.

love the old rocky movies =)

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                Interesting looking bird....

Not much going on today.... did push ups and leg raises. Am almost ready to progress on push ups and I hit the progression or leg raises today.

The only other thing I did today was watch the movie Rocky Balboa.... it wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't as "motivational" as the other Rocky movies. It was kind of gray and overcast today, and a bit breezy. A good day for watching a movie and hoisting a cider or 3....
                Started some light training yesterday after me back issue, amazing what you lose in four weeks, looking forward to getting it back.....not!

It gray and overcast here yesterday, but we had 90mph winds and horizontal rain....Good excuse for a cider to me....

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                there are only 124 of them left in the world and they are the only flightless parrot in the world, the only parrot that lek breeds and one of only 2 nocturnal parrot species. we almost lost them too.

love the old rocky movies =)
                Are they indigenous to NZ? And I presume they're protected if there's that few!

Haven't seen the new Rocky film meself, but the I agrees the old ones are the go!

Comment

• Are they indigenous to NZ? And I presume they're protected if there's that few!
                  yes you only find them here. we have, or should i say had, a lot of indigenous flightless birds. we got down to 53 kakapo back in '93 so doing well to get this far. they are all on offshore predator free islands and have radio transmitters and all sorts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                    Started some light training yesterday after me back issue, amazing what you lose in four weeks, looking forward to getting it back.....not!

It gray and overcast here yesterday, but we had 90mph winds and horizontal rain....Good excuse for a cider to me....

Are they indigenous to NZ? And I presume they're protected if there's that few!

Haven't seen the new Rocky film meself, but the I agrees the old ones are the go!
                    Good luck with the re-start of your training.... it will come back pretty fast though.

90mph winds are a good reason to drink a few energy drinks me thinks... and the rain just adds to that reason...

After Rocky 4, I kinda lost interest in the "series", but they are good movies... I wanted to watch this one because one of the podcasts I run to has a clip from the latst movie in it.....

Comment

yes you only find them here. we have, or should i say had, a lot of indigenous flightless birds. we got down to 53 kakapo back in '93 so doing well to get this far. they are all on offshore predator free islands and have radio transmitters and all sorts.
                      Pretty well taking care of the, I hope, which is good, sounds like the bird equivalent of Alcatraz....

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                      Good luck with the re-start of your training.... it will come back pretty fast though.

90mph winds are a good reason to drink a few energy drinks me thinks... and the rain just adds to that reason...
                      I bloody hope so, ain't going to mad as me backs still not the best, but doing nothing was doing me head in!

Good enough reason for me, had a gig to go to last night though, so had to brave the elements....

Comment

• No exercise today. Delivery day instead. Got home from the trip to town and did a bit of cooking. Had some chicken legs that needed to be cooked, so I salted, pepperd and garliced them and baked em. The returant guy gave me a piece of deer backstrap (tenderloin) and a slab of thigh meat. I cut the thigh meat up and will grind it and mix it with some pork fat and make some venison Irish sausage. I made some a few years ago and everyone that had some enjoyed it... so I will have a repeat performance. The backstrap I seasoned with sea salt, pepper and garlic, cut it into medalions and pan fried in lard, and added some mushrooms..... oh my was it tasty..... I can't believe I ate the whole thing!

Comment

• I can. Believe you ate the whole thing, that is. If you were doing the warrior diet thing along with the PB, you would see it as a right to polish off the whole pan/platter, thump your chest, and then roll over for a good night's sleep. Every night.
                          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• The returant guy gave me a piece of deer backstrap (tenderloin) and a slab of thigh meat.
                            i dont think the back straps are the tenderloins. the tenderloins are the fillets. or i am sure that is what we always call them. if you gut and skin the deer, the backstraps run on the outer along the spine from the hip up sorta and the tenderloins or fillets run on the inside and are much shorter and smaller. hence why you need to be a little bit careful where you shoot the deer in case you blow them away by accident which i have very nearly done myself. they are a much more desirable cut than the backstraps so he must like you.

Comment

i dont think the back straps are the tenderloins. the tenderloins are the fillets. or i am sure that is what we always call them. if you gut and skin the deer, the backstraps run on the outer along the spine from the hip up sorta and the tenderloins or fillets run on the inside and are much shorter and smaller. hence why you need to be a little bit careful where you shoot the deer in case you blow them away by accident which i have very nearly done myself. they are a much more desirable cut than the backstraps so he must like you.
                              It was my mistake.. it was the backstrap, not the tenderloin that he gave me.... but it was still good, even if I was clueless as to where it came from.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                                I can. Believe you ate the whole thing, that is. If you were doing the warrior diet thing along with the PB, you would see it as a right to polish off the whole pan/platter, thump your chest, and then roll over for a good night's sleep. Every night.
                                aye, tiz true.... I tried the warrior diet.... I'm not a fan of fasting..... but I did roll over and sleep hard after eat'n all venison.... though to tell the truth, it was a piece of meat about 12" long and 2" across...... not huge, but certainly a good meal...

Comment

Working...
                                X