Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    You just reminded me - I have to go check on that pepper!
    That made me LMAO....

My dad hadn't tended his garden for about two years, so I hired a mulcher and hacked it down with a metal tri-blade strimmer, I 'borrowed' from work, found a bag of (un)frozen peas that had been in the garden for gods knows how long, chucked it through the mulcher, then had to go lock meself in the house until one, the smell had gone and two, I'd stopped heaving....

Comment

• It's October..... National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.. here in the US... Interesting facts I just read;

What are the key statistics about breast cancer?
      Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women, except for skin cancers. About 1 in 8 (12%) women in the US will develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetime.

The American Cancer Society's estimates for breast cancer in the United States for 2013 are:

About 232,340 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women.
      About 64,640 new cases of carcinoma in situ (CIS) will be diagnosed (CIS is non-invasive and is the earliest form of breast cancer).
      About 39,620 women will die from breast cancer
      After increasing for more than 2 decades, female breast cancer incidence rates began decreasing in 2000, then dropped by about 7% from 2002 to 2003. This large decrease was thought to be due to the decline in use of hormone therapy after menopause that occurred after the results of the Women's Health Initiative were published in 2002. This study linked the use of hormone therapy to an increased risk of breast cancer and heart diseases. Incidence rates have been stable in recent years.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, exceeded only by lung cancer. The chance that breast cancer will be responsible for a woman's death is about 1 in 36 (about 3%). Death rates from breast cancer have been declining since about 1989, with larger decreases in women younger than 50. These decreases are believed to be the result of earlier detection through screening and increased awareness, as well as improved treatment.
      What are the key statistics about breast cancer?

So, women get a month for boob cancer.... Before anyone gets their thong in a knot, I don't think its a bad idea to promote breast cancer awareness. Men die from breast cancer too, though it is rare, it's a good idea to promote cancer awareness.

More interesting cancer info:

Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men. The American Cancer Society’s estimates for prostate cancer in the United States for 2013 are:

About 238,590 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed
      About 29,720 men will die of prostate cancer
      About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.

Prostate cancer occurs mainly in older men. About 6 cases in 10 are diagnosed in men aged 65 or older, and it is rare before age 40. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 67.

Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
      What are the key statistics about prostate cancer?

Anyone ever heard of National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month?
      Last edited by ssn679doc; 10-09-2013, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
        It's called Movember.

Just as ovarian cancer rates would be much, much lower if women didn't ovulate so much (ie spent more time knocked up or nursing), breast cancer rates would be much lower if women breastfed more (I'm smug, I may have only had one kid, but I kept nursing him for a number of years). I'm not sure that such correlations can be drawn with prostate cancer - but cleaning the pipes regularly can't hurt, surely. (BINGO)

Ovarian and breast cancer tend to strike much younger than prostate cancer, which might be why they get more attention - these cancers kill the mothers of young families and are a economic/social tragedy as well as a personal/emotional one.
        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

It's October..... National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.. here in the US... Interesting facts I just read;

So, women get a month for boob cancer.... Before anyone gets their thong in a knot, I don't think its a bad idea to promote breast cancer awareness. Men die from breast cancer too, though it is rare, it's a good idea to promote cancer awareness.

I'm all for any form of cancer awareness really, weird how the contraction and death rates are virtually the same between both forms.

Here's what I found in the UK, not sure what the percentages are between our's and your population mind, but wouldn't mind betting the ratios pretty close.
          Prostate cancer statistics are presented here.

In 2010, 40,975 men in the UK were diagnosed with prostate cancer.
          In 2010 there were 10,721 deaths from prostate cancer in the UK.
          In 2005-2009, 81.4% of adult prostate cancer patients in England survived their cancer for five years or more.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
            It's called Movember.
            Yup, we have Movember over here as well, you get to see some shockers, good cause though!

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
            I'm not sure that such correlations can be drawn with prostate cancer - but cleaning the pipes regularly can't hurt, surely. (BINGO)
            Serious subject I know, but I might have to buy some sweatbands on me way home after reading that....

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
            Ovarian and breast cancer tend to strike much younger than prostate cancer, which might be why they get more attention - these cancers kill the mothers of young families and are a economic/social tragedy as well as a personal/emotional one.
            They're all tragic really, but I see where you're coming from.

Comment

• Interesting that the rates for breast cancer went down so much with the decrease in HRT. I took it for under six months because I hadn't been able to sleep through the night from the flashes for a month and was kind of losing my mind. I quit as quickly as possible.

Get your exams boys and girls. It's a drag to die from anything; it's a super drag to die from something treatable if caught early enough.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• It's been raining since tuesday, and the forcast is for rain everyday until the weekend.... oh, and this is the renants of the storm from the Gulf last week... Thanks Joanie! lol... My toes are starting to web, its so wet here.... and I'm thinking of building a BAB (Big A$$ Boat) just in case.... So, I didn't run today. Rainy, windy, temps in the 60's.... yeah I wussed out.. I cooked tomatos for sauce, and baked a butternut, acorn and sweet dumpling squash instead....

Comment

It's been raining since tuesday, and the forcast is for rain everyday until the weekend.... oh, and this is the renants of the storm from the Gulf last week... Thanks Joanie!
                  Always said she's a kind sharing soul....

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                  lol... My toes are starting to web, its so wet here....
                  Lol, learn some of our local dialect and you could move in with some of our more countryfied folk, if ya knows what I mean....I'm guessing that it's wetter than a haddocks bathing costume then?!

I've 'fair weathered' a few runs and found something better to do many a time!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                    Always said she's a kind sharing soul....

Lol, learn some of our local dialect and you could move in with some of our more countryfied folk, if ya knows what I mean....I'm guessing that it's wetter than a haddocks bathing costume then?!

I've 'fair weathered' a few runs and found something better to do many a time!
                    Aye, tiz true... but I'd rather she share her cider or ale!

Just as wet, and not quiet as sexy...

Comment

Aye, tiz true... but I'd rather she share her cider or ale!

Just as wet, and not quiet as sexy...
                      Word, much better to get wet on the inside than the out....

Swell, at least the fertilizer 'll get soaked in!

Comment

Word, much better to get wet on the inside than the out....

Swell, at least the fertilizer 'll get soaked in!
                        And some things wet insides better than others...... speaking of which... I saw an ad on TV today for Newcastle Werewolf Ale..... I like Newcastle Nut Brown Ale... me wonders what the hair of the Werewolf is like....

Comment

And some things wet insides better than others...... speaking of which... I saw an ad on TV today for Newcastle Werewolf Ale..... I like Newcastle Nut Brown Ale... me wonders what the hair of the Werewolf is like....
                          Hair raising....(sorry) Never heard of that Werewolf type ale, till now! Used to like me a bottle of dog *makes longing sound*, oh well.....

Comment

And some things wet insides better than others....
                            You know what? I'm not even going to go back and find out what this is in reference to. Just smiling and moving on.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                              You know what? I'm not even going to go back and find out what this is in reference to. Just smiling and moving on.
                              lol... it was a reference to ethanol.... but I like the way you think! lol

Comment

Hair raising....(sorry) Never heard of that Werewolf type ale, till now! Used to like me a bottle of dog *makes longing sound*, oh well.....
                                This was the first I had heard of it as well.... yes, I do understand the longing for favored adult beverages...

Comment

Working...
                                X