Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Lucky for some ain't it, only way you'd be able to do that over here is in one of they hydroponic things....
    Thats what ya get for living north of the Arctic Circle!

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
      I, very briefly, was sent to the tomato greenhouses to learn the appliance of science during my biology A-Level. I was taken into one of the said greenhouses and told to prune the plants. There were no gloves for me to wear, so the chap peeled off his and told me to use them. The gloves were very, very wet with sweat. Putting one's hands in salt-wet gloves is almost as revolting as - I imagine - placing one's manhood in a pre-loved condom. I went home and complained that I was being used as slave labour. My parents complained to the school and I was reassigned to the Council, where I investigated their trial composting scheme for green waste. A very joyful week passed with many pub lunches and fascinating learning experiences with the rather dishy environmental health officer.
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Lol, and I lives in the almost tropical (yeah right), southern end of the isle....

Comment

Lol, and I lives in the almost tropical (yeah right), southern end of the isle....
          So you start getting frost in September, instead of August? lol

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
            The gloves were very, very wet with sweat. Putting one's hands in salt-wet gloves is almost as revolting as - I imagine - placing one's manhood in a pre-loved condom.
            That analogy almost made me gag! Not sure how a week of pub lunches can be better than that scenario....

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
            So you start getting frost in September, instead of August? lol
            Sumfink like dat, hey we had a heatwave this year, managed a couple of days not wearing thermals....

Comment

That analogy almost made me gag! Not sure how a week of pub lunches can be better than that scenario....
              The gloves had had time to cool when I pulled them on. I gagged, let me tell you. An aircraft hanger full of pyramids of aerobically digesting compost was an absolute joy in comparison.
              I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                The gloves had had time to cool when I pulled them on. I gagged, let me tell you. An aircraft hanger full of pyramids of aerobically digesting compost was an absolute joy in comparison.
                wait.... compost is better than a pre-loved condom???? I'm shocked, I tell ye! Shocked!

Comment

tomatos grow very well here... I have had fresh tomatos in November if there is no hard frost
                  Heh, it was 30 degrees at my house a couple days ago, and we've had rain that = snow on the mountains now!

Comment

So Mapquest has topograghical maps with grid lines? lol.. j/k LandNav is a very useful skill..... particlarly when an EMP burst kills all the electrical stuff, including satelites...... but I'm not a conspiracy theorist..... or a Doomsday Prepper.... I just read a book called "One Second After" a couple of years ago.... some scary crap.
                    Love that book. I should read it again, it's been a while. Only problem is, you then expect that kind of quality from other prepper fiction, and it's not there.
                    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                      Heh, it was 30 degrees at my house a couple days ago, and we've had rain that = snow on the mountains now!
                      Ahh well, your just south of the arctic circle.... I can understand that...

Comment

• Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                        Love that book. I should read it again, it's been a while. Only problem is, you then expect that kind of quality from other prepper fiction, and it's not there.
                        yeah, it was... parts were hard to read though.... and I'm afraid it may not be very far from the truth.....

Comment

Ahh well, your just south of the arctic circle.... I can understand that...
                          ROFL !!

We LIKE the snow on the mountains. Playtime in winter to slide down the snow with boards on our feet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                            ROFL !!

We LIKE the snow on the mountains. Playtime in winter to slide down the snow with boards on our feet!
                            lol... yup I like snow on the mountains too! Sliding down hills on boards strapped to your feet is a great way for a fat old guy like me to end up with a bend in his leg where a bend ain't supposed to be! I'd rather sit and watch the snow bunnies and sip cider... preferably hard cider....

Comment

• Earlier this week, I went to The Bookstore (here, that would be Barnes & Noble) and picked up the book "Real Food Fermentation" by Alex Lewin and have been reading through it. He covers all manner of fermented foods; Veg, Dairy, Fruit, and Meat. As it goes, I have never eaten "real" sauerkraut (cuz I've never been a real big fan of cabbage) and after reading through the section on veggies (which starts with sauerkraut), and I have green, red, chinese cabbages and bok choy growing in the garden, I have a feeling I may be trying my hand at fermenting some cabbage.... If I don't like it, I'm sure the chickens will eat it! The LOVE cabbage! If not, the compst pile will have a new addition....

I also got the last of the Game of Thrones books. Will probably start reading that next week. First I have to finish the Ferented Foods book, and a book I a currently reading called "Soil, Grass and Cancer" by Andre Voisin. It was published in 1959, so some of the data is a little dated, but the concept is many disease processes in the body are either caused by or enabled, exacerbated, influenced by mineral deficiencies in the food we eat. Those deficiencies are caused, primarily, by the lack of those minerals in the soil the food was grown in, or the feed grown in those soils that are fed to animals we eat. His focus seems to be mostly on the micronutrients and their interrelation with hormonal processes, protein synthesis, and immune response. Interesting reading....

Comment

• Good day all!

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                                lol... yup I like snow on the mountains too! Sliding down hills on boards strapped to your feet is a great way for a fat old guy like me to end up with a bend in his leg where a bend ain't supposed to be! I'd rather sit and watch the snow bunnies and sip cider... preferably hard cider....
                                I'm with that, never found the interest to hurtle done a mountain dodging trees, animals, people and stuff, if you want some company to sit and watch said madness mind, I'm the man for the job....

I think it's the smell of cabbage cooking that puts people off, it's probably a different animal fermented!

That book sounds like it might have a point, even one made that long ago....

Going AWOL for a few days, off to the Channel Islands for a long weekend, hope everyone has a good weekend, see ya's next week!

Comment

Working...
                                X