Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
    Not so sure on sheep. They're to close to fast food for my 2, whereas they tend to give grudging respect to cattle. Although, I'm sure my boy is secretly convinced he could tackle a full grown American bison Now there's an animal is love to have roaming around the paddocks
    lol... Bison are terrific.... but hell on fences!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
      They're taking all the beasts with them. The paddicks are fully fenced, so lucky there. The only fencing we have got to do is to fence of a garden at the back of the house to keep my 2 direwolves from being able to get at the livestock.. hopefully I'll be able to train them to them to at least tolerate the other animals, but in the meantime they will be banished to their own area.

      There will be plenty of shade for the direwolves, as they will be in a bit of a mini orchard, with macadamia, avocado, nashi pear, greengage plum, chilean guava berry, Mandarin and shine other fruit trees.
      Good to hear about the fence... and that sounds like a great orchard!

      Comment


      • Can't believe I haven't read here sooner! I just did my first turkey by myself Saturday. I have had a friend who hunts come and help me the past 2 years, but after I butchered all my own chickens this year, ( and taught a friend how to do it) I thought I would give the big boy a try. He was about 45 lbs live weight and 35 lbs dressed. I brined him for 2 days in apple juice and salt water with ice. The top half went in the oven and the bottom went in the smoker. It was a white giant and only 5 months old. His brothers are even bigger. I ended up with 5 males and one female this year and the boys are either fighting or strutting non- stop.

        How did you pluck all your chickens? My chickens had very tender skin that ripped when I plucked, so I just skinned them all, and only did like 3-4 at a time. Turkeys are much harder to skin, so we pluck them, but I swear the plucking takes and hour each! I don't use any special equipment either. What do you use?

        Comment


        • Good morning everyone.

          Doc, holy poo on all those chickens! And here I thought they came beheaded, degutted, and plucked from some nice man in a white apron.

          Misabi, congrats on the land buy.

          Mud Flinger, all firsts are good. Now you have turkey under your belt, it's time to pluck a goat. (Hmm...)
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

          B*tch-lite

          Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
            Can't believe I haven't read here sooner! I just did my first turkey by myself Saturday. I have had a friend who hunts come and help me the past 2 years, but after I butchered all my own chickens this year, ( and taught a friend how to do it) I thought I would give the big boy a try. He was about 45 lbs live weight and 35 lbs dressed. I brined him for 2 days in apple juice and salt water with ice. The top half went in the oven and the bottom went in the smoker. It was a white giant and only 5 months old. His brothers are even bigger. I ended up with 5 males and one female this year and the boys are either fighting or strutting non- stop.

            How did you pluck all your chickens? My chickens had very tender skin that ripped when I plucked, so I just skinned them all, and only did like 3-4 at a time. Turkeys are much harder to skin, so we pluck them, but I swear the plucking takes and hour each! I don't use any special equipment either. What do you use?
            Welcome to the funny farm! Congrats on the turkey... thaza big bird!

            I have a tub style plucker..... it's the only way I will do chickens from now on... get a good scalp and in 30 seconds you have nekkid chicken (and it works on turkeys too!) Someone gave us a tom and a hen turkey last year. The tom was a royal PITA, and as he was a wild turkey, legally I couldn't do anything about him.... until turkey season! My plucker was in use somewhere else so I skinned the tom and ground him in to turkey burgers... pretty tasty stuff that!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              Good morning everyone.

              Doc, holy poo on all those chickens! And here I thought they came beheaded, degutted, and plucked from some nice man in a white apron.

              Misabi, congrats on the land buy.

              Mud Flinger, all firsts are good. Now you have turkey under your belt, it's time to pluck a goat. (Hmm...)
              Chciken DOES come from a nice man in a white apron, but when he's pluckin, it isn't very white.... mine is still soaking in bleach water...

              Comment


              • What model plucker did you get and where? I have thought about getting one, but to be honest, it costs me almost as much to raise a chicken as to buy a nice organic one, already done up. I have land to pasture them, but the wild life and my dogs like chicken too. Friends keep asking if they can buy one of my huge turkeys, but I doubt they want to pay what it costs to raise and spoil them! They are such funny and friendly birds!

                Comment


                • I didn't know until recently that Turkeys (At least the wild ones) can actually fly well when necessary. We have flocks of wild turkeys that roam around our area. I took our guest dog out for a walk last week not realizing that they were in my yard. She ran at them and they flew to the top of the maple trees. I was impressed. The dog ran back to me cowering because she had never seen birds that big. She is from Boston.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

                  Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                  MFP username: MDAPebbles67

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                    I didn't know until recently that Turkeys (At least the wild ones) can actually fly well when necessary. We have flocks of wild turkeys that roam around our area. I took our guest dog out for a walk last week not realizing that they were in my yard. She ran at them and they flew to the top of the maple trees. I was impressed. The dog ran back to me cowering because she had never seen birds that big. She is from Boston.
                    City dogs, eh, what da they know 'bout country life....

                    Comment


                    • One Thanksgiving (after dinner), Sweetie noticed a flock of wild turkeys in our yard. Our (adult) children ran outside and chased them off... flap, flap, flap... right into the upper branches of the aspen trees. Lovely!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                        What model plucker did you get and where? I have thought about getting one, but to be honest, it costs me almost as much to raise a chicken as to buy a nice organic one, already done up. I have land to pasture them, but the wild life and my dogs like chicken too. Friends keep asking if they can buy one of my huge turkeys, but I doubt they want to pay what it costs to raise and spoil them! They are such funny and friendly birds!
                        If you get any of the poultry mags (ie Backyard Poultry etc) you have seen ads for CCONLY. They have all kinds of poultry equipment for sale and it is cheaper than Featherman etc, however, it is made in China....... go figure! Thats what I bought cuz I'm a cheapskate.

                        I would love to raise turkeys, but the CW is you can't raise turkeys and chickens together because of blackhead disease. The 2 I had did fine with my chickens, so I know I can do it. Turkey poults are expensive!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                          You bet Annie, starting in the animal husbandry game is exciting...and daunting as well. Congrats on the 3 eggs from your layers! It is exciting getting eggs in the short day length part of the year, but your days should be getting longer now. What breed of chicken do you have?
                          Yes the days are getting longer and the numbers of eggs are increasing. Previously 0-2 per day, now up to 2-3 already.

                          I think they are red shavers?
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                            Friends keep asking if they can buy one of my huge turkeys, but I doubt they want to pay what it costs to raise and spoil them!
                            My teenage nephew is raising turkeys and I have booked to buy one when it's ready for the table. But it is taking a LOT longer than he expected. He had early success but then found the girls grow much slower than the boys and slow down in winter too. So I now don't know if I'll ever get mine, or if it will be worth the price in the end.
                            Annie Ups the Ante
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                              Yes the days are getting longer and the numbers of eggs are increasing. Previously 0-2 per day, now up to 2-3 already.

                              I think they are red shavers?
                              Ahh... OK... Here those would b Red sex link hens. I have about a dozen of those, along with some black sex link, barred Rocks, Delaware, Newport Reds and a Dominique. About 40 hens total.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                                Ahh... OK... Here those would b Red sex link hens. I have about a dozen of those, along with some black sex link, barred Rocks, Delaware, Newport Reds and a Dominique. About 40 hens total.
                                I knew you'd be able to get sex into the conversation somehow. Well done!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X