Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good day all!

    Good on you on the run, don't worry about the time too much if it's the first time at that distance, it's about getting the miles in you're legs, you know you got a half marathon in you now so good work!

    Done a few halfs, did train for a full but only done the half on the day....

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
      Good day all!

      Good on you on the run, don't worry about the time too much if it's the first time at that distance, it's about getting the miles in you're legs, you know you got a half marathon in you now so good work!

      Done a few halfs, did train for a full but only done the half on the day....
      Thanks... yup, next weekend will be 13..... from there I will add a mile per week every other week until I hit 20ish miles.... My goal is a marathon in March.... so I have lots of time to get in those miles.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
        Thanks... yup, next weekend will be 13..... from there I will add a mile per week every other week until I hit 20ish miles.... My goal is a marathon in March.... so I have lots of time to get in those miles.
        Oh yeah, you got ages, it'll soon come round though, everything seems to nowadays....

        I trained for a marathon with my friend, who's done about 40 odd (the fool), and the longest we ran for in training for was about 20 to 22 miles, so I'd get to that, then work on trying to get the time down a bit!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
          Oh yeah, you got ages, it'll soon come round though, everything seems to nowadays....

          I trained for a marathon with my friend, who's done about 40 odd (the fool), and the longest we ran for in training for was about 20 to 22 miles, so I'd get to that, then work on trying to get the time down a bit!
          My training goal is 30 miles... oh hell no, I don't plan on running 40 marathons.... at least 1, just to say I've done it..... maybe 2 if I can get in to the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC, but that one sells out within days of registration opening...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
            My training goal is 30 miles... oh hell no, I don't plan on running 40 marathons.... at least 1, just to say I've done it..... maybe 2 if I can get in to the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC, but that one sells out within days of registration opening...
            That was my plan to do at least one, trained for it, but felt like a bag of assholes on the day, so only done the half, might try again sometime, dependent on me achilles though!

            Good luck on getting into the MCM one, take it that it's quite popular then?!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
              That was my plan to do at least one, trained for it, but felt like a bag of assholes on the day, so only done the half, might try again sometime, dependent on me achilles though!

              Good luck on getting into the MCM one, take it that it's quite popular then?!
              It is incredibly popular.... The New York City, Boston and others you have to "qualify" for, but the MCM is open to anyone that registers.

              yeah, I hate feling like a bag of assholes too.... can't blame ya for only doing the 1/2

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                It is incredibly popular.... The New York City, Boston and others you have to "qualify" for, but the MCM is open to anyone that registers.
                Holy sheet, just checked the NY marathon qualifying times as that was one we thought about doing years ago, for my age group (45-49) I'd have to knock 11 minutes of me best half time done about 9 years ago and nearly half an hour off me last one, guess what, not happening....

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                  Holy sheet, just checked the NY marathon qualifying times as that was one we thought about doing years ago, for my age group (45-49) I'd have to knock 11 minutes of me best half time done about 9 years ago and nearly half an hour off me last one, guess what, not happening....
                  I have never looked at the qualifying times for NY, or Boston, as I will never get that good, and don't intend to try to get that good. Yeah, I just looked.... qualifying tie for 50+ male is 3:06..... I can't even dream that fast! lol
                  Last edited by ssn679doc; 09-03-2013, 01:52 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                    Welcome to the funny farm! I'd be glad to give you what knowledge I have.... I tend to read ALOT before I try anythng on the farm.

                    You are right about chickens following cows to pick through the leavings, as that is what happens in nature. From what I've read, the amount of cattle you can run on pasture depends on the amount of grass you have. A good average estimate would be 1 acre per head. Beef cattle are pretty self-sufficient, you would need to ensure that they have plenty of water (about 40 gallons per head per day) and minerals (i.e. salt block) to supplement what they don't get from the grass. Personally, I would start with chickens, as they are pretty easy to take care of, and the learning curve isn't nearly as steep. Besides, it's easier to dispose of a dead chicken carcass than a dead cow carcass.....

                    As far as books go, anything written by Joel Salatin is a good read. He has several out, two of my faves are "Salad Bar Beef" and "Pastured Poultry Profits". Another great book is Andy Lee's "Chicken Tractor"
                    Thanks for the book recommendations doc.

                    I've watched a few videos of Salatin talking on various aspects of farming, very interesting. The current owners have the place overstocked I think, 6 head of cattle and about 6 sheep.

                    It's just over 4 acres of good grazing, fairly flat, recently remineralised (if that's a word) organically (current owners are keen organic farmers, selling upto buy a decent sized Farm after hobby farming for a few years) and has a couple of plumbed water troughs fed from a water bore.
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                    Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                      Misabi, exciting opportunity. I would be scared still starting with cattle after no previous animal experience. Well, now I have chicken experience which consists of giving them food twice a day, filling up the water and collecting the eggs. Today was a three-egg day (from three chickens) so that was cool.
                      Hi Annieh, yeah excited but a little nervous too.
                      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                      Originally posted by tfarny
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                        Holy sheet...
                        Like this?
                        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                          Thanks for the book recommendations doc.

                          I've watched a few videos of Salatin talking on various aspects of farming, very interesting. The current owners have the place overstocked I think, 6 head of cattle and about 6 sheep.

                          It's just over 4 acres of good grazing, fairly flat, recently remineralised (if that's a word) organically (current owners are keen organic farmers, selling upto buy a decent sized Farm after hobby farming for a few years) and has a couple of plumbed water troughs fed from a water bore.
                          Hey no problm with the book recomendations.... I have a small library.... my wife calls me a book-whore... she's not far off...

                          If the land is well fertilized, and since you say the owners are organo-philes, it more than likely is.... as long as the grass is growing fast enough to meet their needs, they may be OK... If they are bringing in hay because there isn't enough grass to go around, you may be right that it is over stocked. Are the animal staying with the farm, or moving up with the current owners? One of the benefits of buying land that is already being used for cattle, is that your fence building will be minimal... The land I am on had no fences, so all of the fencing we have has been put in by me... what fun THAT is! I will admit, diggin post holes is a grat shoulder work out!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                            I have never looked at the qualifying times for NY, or Boston, as I will never get that good, and don't intend to try to get that good. Yeah, I just looked.... qualifying tie for 50+ male is 3:06..... I can't even dream that fast! lol
                            Lol, I hear you there, I got more chance of having a crap in the Popes mitre than getting that fast!

                            And good luck on your farming venture Misabi, would sheep and chooks be an easier start?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                              Hey no problm with the book recomendations.... I have a small library.... my wife calls me a book-whore... she's not far off...

                              If the land is well fertilized, and since you say the owners are organo-philes, it more than likely is.... as long as the grass is growing fast enough to meet their needs, they may be OK... If they are bringing in hay because there isn't enough grass to go around, you may be right that it is over stocked. Are the animal staying with the farm, or moving up with the current owners? One of the benefits of buying land that is already being used for cattle, is that your fence building will be minimal... The land I am on had no fences, so all of the fencing we have has been put in by me... what fun THAT is! I will admit, diggin post holes is a grat shoulder work out!
                              They're taking all the beasts with them. The paddicks are fully fenced, so lucky there. The only fencing we have got to do is to fence of a garden at the back of the house to keep my 2 direwolves from being able to get at the livestock.. hopefully I'll be able to train them to them to at least tolerate the other animals, but in the meantime they will be banished to their own area.

                              There will be plenty of shade for the direwolves, as they will be in a bit of a mini orchard, with macadamia, avocado, nashi pear, greengage plum, chilean guava berry, Mandarin and shine other fruit trees.
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                              Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                                And good luck on your farming venture Misabi, would sheep and chooks be an easier start?
                                Not so sure on sheep. They're to close to fast food for my 2, whereas they tend to give grudging respect to cattle. Although, I'm sure my boy is secretly convinced he could tackle a full grown American bison Now there's an animal is love to have roaming around the paddocks
                                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                                Originally posted by tfarny
                                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X