No announcement yet.

Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked up some fish filets today.... breaded with some eggs and almond meal. Had it for breakfast, and it was so good, I just had some more for lunch! Also cooked up some Jasmine rice, and I used chicken bouillon instead of plain water.... adds a bunch more flavor to the rice.....

Well Saturday is almost here. I will spend all day getting my stuff set up for Freezer-fest 2013. It takes a fair amount of equipment to do this chicken processing, so I will collect and stage it today so I can start the festivities at the crack of frikin dawn.... Need to get several bags of ice, a couple of coolers, a folding table, and a pop-up canopy to work under....

Comment

• Ran a 4 miler today... used a 151 bpm podrunner mix.... great time! listened to some of the others I have and can't wait tp try them out. Out of them is called Space Race and the first 1/2 have several minutes of military cadence calling in it... almost brought a tear to my eye.... lol

Comment

• Saturday was a looooong day..... All 50 birds are dispatched, de-featherd, de-gutted, de-headed, de-legged, chilled, bagged and frozen. About 20 of the got cut up in to parts, so I have bags of legs, wings, breasts and backs in the freezer..... The average weight was 5 lb. there were a few 4.5 and a couple of 6lb birds, but most were around 5 lb. THat's a healthy sized bird... Freezer is full...............

Got a copy of It Starts With Food on my Kindle. Started reading it. THe Whole30 concept is intriguing... Not liking the ditching of artificial sweeteners though..... Gonna finish the book before I decide what I want to do.

Legs are a little stiff from Friday's run, and yesterday's activity, so I will do my long run tomorrow. Today, I get to put up all the equipment from yesterday, I have some radishes and salad greens ready for harvest, and I need to plant carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, cabbage, collards and a few other things I can't remember at the moment... so, I'm off to another busy day on the farm!

Comment

• Wow the chicken harvest sounds like a lot of work.

About w30, I have always wanted to get in a clean one and then try adding the AS back in and see what happens. Maybe this time...
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
            Wow the chicken harvest sounds like a lot of work.

About w30, I have always wanted to get in a clean one and then try adding the AS back in and see what happens. Maybe this time...
            Oh It was.... Step son and I did the whole job, which is why it took as long as it did.... and it's a nasty job too boot....

Good luck to you on the Whole30! Just keep trying.

Comment

• Well done on the chooks Doc, it don't sound like an enviable job that, and at least its done!

The amount of work the farm takes, you must go to work work for a rest....

And two spammers in a row, congrats!

Comment

• But think of all the lovely roasts!
                I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                  But think of all the lovely roasts!
                  Oh I agree, hard yakka to get um though....

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                    Couldn't get the coming events on Saturday outta me pea-sized brain. Saturday? Chickens headed to the freezer day.... 50 big fat juicy, waddeling-when-they-walk Cornish Cross chickens will meat their destiny on Saturday.........
                    Might have to pick your brains one day doc. I've just picked up about 4 acres of paddocks and trying to decide what to do with them. I've never done any kind of animal husbandry do thinking of starting with a few cattle (like just 2 to 4), 1 or 2 to give the family some meat and the others to go to market to pay for them all. Was thinking a flock of chickens would be good to follow the cattle around and work over what the leave behind.

I was just thinking of enough to gI've us the eggs we need (40 to 60/week), but now you've got me thinking about raising then for meat too.
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Misabi, exciting opportunity. I would be scared still starting with cattle after no previous animal experience. Well, now I have chicken experience which consists of giving them food twice a day, filling up the water and collecting the eggs. Today was a three-egg day (from three chickens) so that was cool.
                      Annie Ups the Ante
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                        But think of all the lovely roasts!
                        Actually, we cooked one of the larger birds Sunday. It was a 6 lb monster, and the wife did and herb butter under the skin and as a rub over the bird..... it was a gorgeous golden brown, and juicy... toungue nearly beat my brains out getting to tast the wee morsel...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                          Oh I agree, hard yakka to get um though....
                          Aye, it was hard work, but I don't need to buy chicken for a year!

Comment

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                            Might have to pick your brains one day doc. I've just picked up about 4 acres of paddocks and trying to decide what to do with them. I've never done any kind of animal husbandry do thinking of starting with a few cattle (like just 2 to 4), 1 or 2 to give the family some meat and the others to go to market to pay for them all. Was thinking a flock of chickens would be good to follow the cattle around and work over what the leave behind.

I was just thinking of enough to gI've us the eggs we need (40 to 60/week), but now you've got me thinking about raising then for meat too.
                            Welcome to the funny farm! I'd be glad to give you what knowledge I have.... I tend to read ALOT before I try anythng on the farm.

You are right about chickens following cows to pick through the leavings, as that is what happens in nature. From what I've read, the amount of cattle you can run on pasture depends on the amount of grass you have. A good average estimate would be 1 acre per head. Beef cattle are pretty self-sufficient, you would need to ensure that they have plenty of water (about 40 gallons per head per day) and minerals (i.e. salt block) to supplement what they don't get from the grass. Personally, I would start with chickens, as they are pretty easy to take care of, and the learning curve isn't nearly as steep. Besides, it's easier to dispose of a dead chicken carcass than a dead cow carcass.....

As far as books go, anything written by Joel Salatin is a good read. He has several out, two of my faves are "Salad Bar Beef" and "Pastured Poultry Profits". Another great book is Andy Lee's "Chicken Tractor"

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                              Misabi, exciting opportunity. I would be scared still starting with cattle after no previous animal experience. Well, now I have chicken experience which consists of giving them food twice a day, filling up the water and collecting the eggs. Today was a three-egg day (from three chickens) so that was cool.
                              You bet Annie, starting in the animal husbandry game is exciting...and daunting as well. Congrats on the 3 eggs from your layers! It is exciting getting eggs in the short day length part of the year, but your days should be getting longer now. What breed of chicken do you have?
                              Last edited by ssn679doc; 09-03-2013, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• Sunday was supposed to be my long run day, but my legs were sore from Saturday's fun, and from the run on Friday, so I put the long run off till Monday, as I was off from work. Good thing I did. Had a great run. It was a little on the humid side, but the temp when I started wasn't all that bad, and there was a nice breeze blowing. When it was all over, I ran 12 miles, and it took me 3 hours to do it. Not fast by any means, but I finished what I had started out to do... Legs are sore today, but not painful to move around on. Lets m know I am alive, and that I accomplished something yesterday....

I have been reading the Whole30 book..... interesting reading.... reinforcing much of what Mark talks about here... I may do a whole 30 to see if I can re-start my weightloss.....

Comment

Working...
                                X