Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Doc, was looking into getting some saltpetre for curing online as I couldn't find any in me local health/spice shop, saw this review on Amazon, which made me chuckle;

I thought, it can be that dangerous can it, then realised it was for potassium nitrate and not sodium, it is cheaper though, so.....
    yes, it might give your sausage a bit more bite than you are bargaining for.....

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
      yes, it might give your sausage a bit more bite than you are bargaining for.....
      Quotes like that'll get badgergirl all a flustered......

Seasoned the smoker yesterday, intructions said to let it cool naturally and it would take about 3 hours, PIG ARSE, more like 6, and I under done the weight of the carbon, it holds on to its heat!!

Comment

yep - I bet she be very hot and flustered right now..........................
        "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Seasoned the smoker yesterday, intructions said to let it cool naturally and it would take about 3 hours, PIG ARSE, more like 6, and I under done the weight of the carbon, it holds on to its heat!!
          I's Innocent i swears it!

Staying hot isn't a bad thing......

Comment

Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
            Not just badgergirl!
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Spent several days with the family. Had a grunch of folks in the house.... every bed was full, and a few on the floor too. Now everyone is starting to head home... which is both good and bad. I will miss the people, but all the noise and craziness that goes with having a larg influx of people won't be missed much.... although some of the craziness is fun.....

Saturday we went fishing off shore for a few hours. I haven't been fishing in years. Had a great time. Caught a bunch o fish, most of the we threw back. did keep a few, and fileted them out once we got home..... fish in the freezer.

Made another batch of paella on Saturday. Had some spanish chorizo in it.... very yummy. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Finished the bed for granddaughter. They will be taking it home today.

Tomatos are starting to get ripe. The golden cherry tomatos are the bomb! A looking forward to trying the yellow slicing tomatos.

Being over run with yellow squash.... patty pan squash are starting to come in as well..... and peppers..... Had several pumpkin plants sprout up out of the compost pile.... they are huge.... and loaded with pumpkins! Almost time to start the acorn and butternut squash....

Comment

• Good day all!

Sounds like a bit of a lively one, good one though and good to get a bit of family time, did the beds get much use at all, (for sleeping that is) and did you need a head count for all the subs, prior to departure?!
                Golden toms, ooh, envies you.....By the way, out of interest, what's patty pan squash, new one on me that?!

Me Saturday was written off, visited the pub with some chums and me bro to watch the British & Irish Lions V Aussies at rugby, was jarred off after losing so stayed a bit longer than planned, made it home to watch the Stones at Glastonbury though!

Comment

Good day all!

Sounds like a bit of a lively one, good one though and good to get a bit of family time, did the beds get much use at all, (for sleeping that is) and did you need a head count for all the subs, prior to departure?!
                  Golden toms, ooh, envies you.....By the way, out of interest, what's patty pan squash, new one on me that?!

Me Saturday was written off, visited the pub with some chums and me bro to watch the British & Irish Lions V Aussies at rugby, was jarred off after losing so stayed a bit longer than planned, made it home to watch the Stones at Glastonbury though!
                  Patty pan squash:
                  Sunburst (F1) - Johnny's Selected Seeds

Yes, a lively crowd... and I left the head counting to the parents of kids....

Comment

Patty pan squash:
                    Sunburst (F1) - Johnny's Selected Seeds

Yes, a lively crowd... and I left the head counting to the parents of kids....
                    Well I never seen one of they afore, looks lovely, if exotic, I must say, you gets a much better selection of squash round your way!

Good move on the head count.....

Comment

Well I never seen one of they afore, looks lovely, if exotic, I must say, you gets a much better selection of squash round your way!

Good move on the head count.....
                      Yes, we have many varieties.... the patty pan is one I first tried last year. This year I am going to try kubocha squash....

Comment

• Had a look on Wiki as it's another new one on me, could only find Kabocha, not sure if it's the same, but the last sentance opened me eyes!!

Kabocha (Japanese カボチャ, 南瓜), Danhobak (Korean 단호박), or Cambodia abóbora: is an Asian variety of winter squash. The word kabocha has come to mean a general type of winter squash to many English-speaking growers and buyers. In some cultures it is revered as an aphrodisiac
                        Get um in the ground.....
                        Last edited by Dhansakdave; 07-02-2013, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Had a look on Wiki as it's another new one on me, could only find Kabocha, not sure if it's the same, but the last sentance opened me eyes!!

Get um in the ground.....
                          daaaaaayng... whoda thunk it! Loooks like I gots me some planting to do!

Comment

• Half the family crowd headed home today..... somewhat sad.... will miss the granddaughter. Don't get to see her very often. Got a little peace and quite once everyone was out of the house for a while, so there was a small benefit there....

Got the post holes dug for the veggie wash stand I want to build. Have all the decking and joists. Will start on setting the posts and framing the deck tomorrow/later today.

Picked some tomatos today. Most all of the Roma have the blossom end rot.... I sprayed a calcium fertilizer on the plants a couple of days ago. Hope it helps. Picked a couple of red slicing tomatos, and a couple of yellow slicers, and red and gold cherry tomatos....

Meat bird chicks came in on Monday. The seem to be fairing well. No losses so far.... If that holds for the next 8 weeks, I will have a year's worth of chicken in the freezer with a few left over to sell.....

Comment

• Good day all!

I'm lucky (at times) on the family front, apart from one cousin, who I haven't seen for thirty odd years, most of my family live within about a twenty to thirty minute drive, so I guess it must be tough having them so far away.

If you're going to get a years worth of chook in the coolometer, you either haven't got that many, or you got a sizeable freezer, hopefully the latter?!

Comment

• Lucky depends on the particular family...
                                I live 800miles away from all of mine on purpose!
                                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                                X