Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    What's the saying about you're only as old as the woman you feel......

    Just bought this Slow Fire: Amazon.co.uk: Ray Lampe: Books, will probably get the one you got eventually, but I think this might cater for the complete novice like meself, at first!
    The first BBQ book I got was written by Paul Kirk.... awesome book..... tons of recipes for meats, rubs, sauces, sides etc.
    Amazon.com: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue: Barbecue Your Way to Greatness with 575 Lip-Smackin' Recipes from the Baron of Barbecue (9781558322424): Paul Kirk: Books

    Comment


    • Had a bit of pork loin roast left over from last week's paella experiment. It needed to be cooked, so I sliced it thin, seasoned it with salt and a mixture of cinnamon, cardamon, black pepper, cumin and grilled it. Had a bit of polish sausage as well.... grilled that too. The end result was a very tasty morsel of pork faty goodness....

      The polish sausage was one that I made and I have only ever boiled it, and it's pretty tasty boiled, but it is MUCH better grilled....

      So for lunch I had a bit of polilsh sausage, some pork roast and some roasted golden beets. The beets were left-overs.... went to bed with a full belly...

      Comment


      • Good day all!

        Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        I was too scared to click the link.
        Can't believe an amazonian like yerself would be scared of much?!

        Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
        The first BBQ book I got was written by Paul Kirk.... awesome book..... tons of recipes for meats, rubs, sauces, sides etc.
        Amazon.com: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue: Barbecue Your Way to Greatness with 575 Lip-Smackin' Recipes from the Baron of Barbecue (9781558322424): Paul Kirk: Books
        Sod the expense, just ordered he an' all, looks a beauty!

        Looks like a porklicious day!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
          Good day all!



          Can't believe an amazonian like yerself would be scared of much?!



          Sod the expense, just ordered he an' all, looks a beauty!

          Looks like a porklicious day!
          yes, it is an awesome book....... Many of his rubs have a brown sugar base, and the sauces as well, but it wouldn't be all that hard to make them "primal". Leave out the sugar and use the spices. OK, so you don't get the carmelized crust.... the smoke flavor covers the sugar anyway.....

          Comment


          • Haven't really got a sweet tooth, so omitting the sugar ain't really a drama, (lucky in that respect), so I think you're right on getting them primal.

            Spicy on the other hand.......I used to get through tons of Dave Insanity sauce/chilli flakes, Blairs death products, I've still got a chilli cupboard in me kitchen, mostly variant forms of 'Dr Burnorium's Phsyco juice', some other trophy sauces, dried chillies and stuff!

            Comment


            • My family used to be "in BBQ"... you know that Memphis in May thing. We won it.
              There was no brown sugar in the rub. It's completely unnecessary.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                My family used to be "in BBQ"... you know that Memphis in May thing. We won it.
                There was no brown sugar in the rub. It's completely unnecessary.
                That's another one of my bucket list things, which is to go to one of those BBQ/Chilli cook off things, seen them on TV, and they look the business!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  My family used to be "in BBQ"... you know that Memphis in May thing. We won it.
                  There was no brown sugar in the rub. It's completely unnecessary.
                  oh, I don't disagree.... but some "purists" seem to think that unless it has brown sugar in the rub, you can't get the crispy bark on the outside..... I prefer the smoke flavor to the cripy bark......

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                    That's another one of my bucket list things, which is to go to one of those BBQ/Chilli cook off things, seen them on TV, and they look the business!
                    they do quite a few here in the States..... are they popular in the UK?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                      oh, I don't disagree.... but some "purists" seem to think that unless it has brown sugar in the rub, you can't get the crispy bark on the outside..... I prefer the smoke flavor to the cripy bark......
                      Pffffffffffffffffffffttttttttt...

                      Proper smoke and temperature makes the bark.

                      Sugar is for lazy cheaters who don't know how to cook.
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                        they do quite a few here in the States..... are they popular in the UK?
                        Not really, a festival type thing in Bristol called grillstock has run for the last two years, where they get some US pitmasters over, it's not really a competition though, didn't go this year, as true to form it lashed down with rain all weekend!

                        Rather do a US one, as to see the real mccoy, so to speak!

                        Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                        Pffffffffffffffffffffttttttttt...

                        Proper smoke and temperature makes the bark.

                        Sugar is for lazy cheaters who don't know how to cook.
                        That's what I like to hear.

                        Comment


                        • good morning y'all........gwamma is back in the cave and ready to party.........althou I had a few wines last night and this morning my head is spinning !!!!!!! I have lost my touch !!!!!!!
                          anyhoo all this talk of BBQ foods is making me hungry for a good old hearty primal breakfast - praps steak and eggs ????????
                          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

                          ...small steps....

                          Comment


                          • Busy weekend....worked my azz off! Spent all weekend putting up a fenc around the middle of the pasture where the chickens are. So far this year I have lost nearly 40 birds, mostly to predators. So, I put in a fence. The area I fenced is 100 feet by 200 feet. I had to put in bracing posts on th 4 corners, put in 2 gate posts and insall line posts for the fence. The braces were sunk 2 feet deep and concreted in place. The gate posts are 3 feet deep and concreted. The line posts are T posts and they were hammered in to the ground about a foot. The fencing is woven wire fence and had to be rolled out, stretched and nailed in place to the corner posts and attached to the line posts. Started Friday about 2 PM, finished on Sunday about 10:30 AM..... Lets hope this keeps the coyotes off my birds.....

                            Will be getting a visit this week from my son that lived in Texas. He will be in town until after the 4th of July holiday. Next weekend, my daughter-in-law that lives in Georgia will be up for a few days as well. My son in North Carolina will be up next weekend too, as will the local kids..... It will be a housefull this week......

                            Made a yellow squash and zucchini paella yesterday.... all veggies, and it were tasty. Will make another batch when the kids descend on the farm next weekend. Maybe a fish and shrimp paella.......

                            Comment


                            • Good day all!

                              Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                              good morning y'all........gwamma is back in the cave and ready to party.........althou I had a few wines last night and this morning my head is spinning !!!!!!! I have lost my touch !!!!!!!
                              anyhoo all this talk of BBQ foods is making me hungry for a good old hearty primal breakfast - praps steak and eggs ????????
                              Welcome back G, good to be home?!

                              Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                              Busy weekend....worked my azz off! Spent all weekend putting up a fenc around the middle of the pasture where the chickens are. So far this year I have lost nearly 40 birds, mostly to predators. So, I put in a fence. The area I fenced is 100 feet by 200 feet. I had to put in bracing posts on th 4 corners, put in 2 gate posts and insall line posts for the fence. The braces were sunk 2 feet deep and concreted in place. The gate posts are 3 feet deep and concreted. The line posts are T posts and they were hammered in to the ground about a foot. The fencing is woven wire fence and had to be rolled out, stretched and nailed in place to the corner posts and attached to the line posts. Started Friday about 2 PM, finished on Sunday about 10:30 AM..... Lets hope this keeps the coyotes off my birds.....

                              Will be getting a visit this week from my son that lived in Texas. He will be in town until after the 4th of July holiday. Next weekend, my daughter-in-law that lives in Georgia will be up for a few days as well. My son in North Carolina will be up next weekend too, as will the local kids..... It will be a housefull this week......

                              Made a yellow squash and zucchini paella yesterday.... all veggies, and it were tasty. Will make another batch when the kids descend on the farm next weekend. Maybe a fish and shrimp paella.......
                              Are you still having critter problems, thought you might have given them a buckshot injection by now?

                              It's hard yakka putting they posts in, especially that amount!

                              Sounds like you're in for a busy week as well as the weekend?!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                                Good day all!



                                Welcome back G, good to be home?!



                                Are you still having critter problems, thought you might have given them a buckshot injection by now?

                                It's hard yakka putting they posts in, especially that amount!

                                Sounds like you're in for a busy week as well as the weekend?!
                                I would love to give the coyotes a buckshot injection..... however, they are an illusive lot. So hopefully I can fence them out and save a few birds that way....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X