Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
    Well, you know... I wanna see how high a given recipe will get my bottles. Say 4 or 5% would be nice if it was kind of reliable.

I have a marine reef tank... I like testing/tweaking things.
    I'm not failiar with kefir grains, as to what alcohol content they can cause.... I have brewed my own beer and wine, and know that some strains of yeast will let you get a higher alcohol content. Ale yeasts are usually killed off at anything above 6 to 8%. You would use a wine or champaign yeast to get in to the 14-16% range.... I think anything above 20ish% requires distilation...

Comment

• I made some fairly pokey ginger beer with just baker's yeast - fluke or was it simply the ginger giving it an extra punch?
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        I made some fairly pokey ginger beer with just baker's yeast - fluke or was it simply the ginger giving it an extra punch?
        no you can use bread yeast to make beer with, but it reportedly gives the beer a "bread" flavor.... and ginger has a big zip to it on it own which ay cover over any breadyness of the brew from the yeast

Comment

• If I'm not totally mistaken using bread/bakers yeast is similar to wine yeast... like in the 12% range of alcohol possibility.

That's why it's so commonly used for "hooch".
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
            If I'm not totally mistaken using bread/bakers yeast is similar to wine yeast... like in the 12% range of alcohol possibility.

That's why it's so commonly used for "hooch".
            Woot! That explains a fair amount...

Comment

• Here we go...
              Sparkling Cider and Hard Cider with Water Kefir Grains - Pickle Me Too

It doesn't mention anywhere how high the alcohol can go, so I'm thinking not too high.
              But I like that it can go hard and make fizz.
              Bacteria are fun.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Aw, and we were getting on so well!

Now, I'm not so much of a bitter or stout girl, in all meanings of those fine words, but once upon a time, when I was a stout and bitter downer, I was quite partial to black velvet.

These days husband and I share an appreciation of French red wines, but only he has a passion for black velvet...
                We still are, I hopes (apart from the Boddies), going by your journal I can subjagate meself, if you like?!

People round here put cider in and call it a black velvet, which works, a snakebite though, is dangerous!!
                Urban Dictionary: snakebite

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                  We still are, I hopes (apart from the Boddies), going by your journal I can subjagate meself, if you like?!

People round here put cider in and call it a black velvet, which works, a snakebite though, is dangerous!!
                  Ah...snakebite. The venom of my youth.
                  All subjugation will be willingly acknowledged...

Comment

hmmmmm that looks kinda tasty.....

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                      It is. Ribena and cider. Rinse. Repeat. Apple-blackcurrant death.

Comment

It is. Ribena and cider. Rinse. Repeat. Apple-blackcurrant death.
                        ohhhh I need to plant more black currant plants... to go with my blackberries and raspberries.....

Comment

Ah...snakebite. The venom of my youth.
                          All subjugation will be willingly acknowledged...
                          Lethal ain't it?!

And I kowtow in your general direction!

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                          Be warned sir, it's sprint not a marathon beverage!!

Comment

Lethal ain't it?!

And I kowtow in your general direction!

Be warned sir, it's sprint not a marathon beverage!!
                            Sprinting is health sir! Just ask Mark! lol Once a week.... its in his PBF plan!

And Guiness is in the Lift Heavy Things category..... gosh I love primal living! lol
                            Last edited by ssn679doc; 05-24-2013, 02:27 AM.

Comment

• I'm a personal fan of the Black Velvet... Guinness and Cider.

I once was completely wasted and husband asked me how many I'd had.
                              "Only 6" I replied with conviction...

My Black velvet mug is big enough to hold a full measure of each brew!
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Lol, better plan in some sprints later then, happy days!!

Comment

Working...
                                X