Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nz primal gwamma View Post
    great over here - still fat as butter and enjoying my meat.................. I was a weeny bit concerned that your abscence had something to do with my naughty little sheep story.
    Remembering of course how i very rarely do naughty - i was slightly worried !!!!!!!!
    lol....

Comment

• Had bacon for "breakfast".... just bacon and coffee with H&H..... there is something about the salty, smoky flavor of bacon combined with a sweet creamy coffee that give one a feeling that all is right with the world..... I know it's an illusion, but I like my dream world!

Comment

• there is something about the salty, smoky flavor of bacon combined with a sweet creamy coffee that give one a feeling that all is right with the world..... I know it's an illusion, but I like my dream world!
        LOL we are back to cultural preferences again! i love my coffee and sometimes i like the idea of bacon, but i always feel ripped off when i give in and eat some. i do like roast wild pork and it is entirely possible that coz i am a snob and only eat free range bacon which comes from sort of up the road, that maybe they make it in a non tasty way.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
          I like my dream world!
          boyz and their dreams.................
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
            Had bacon for "breakfast".... just bacon and coffee with H&H..... there is something about the salty, smoky flavor of bacon combined with a sweet creamy coffee that give one a feeling that all is right with the world..... I know it's an illusion, but I like my dream world!
            All is right in the world under those circumstances at that moment... your little world.
            I like your dreams too.
            (Have to limit my bacons though. *woe!*)
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
              LOL we are back to cultural preferences again! i love my coffee and sometimes i like the idea of bacon, but i always feel ripped off when i give in and eat some. i do like roast wild pork and it is entirely possible that coz i am a snob and only eat free range bacon which comes from sort of up the road, that maybe they make it in a non tasty way.
              I consider myself a bacon snob as well.... which is why I make my own.... dry salt rubbed, 14 day cure, and smoked in my wee smoke house...

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                All is right in the world under those circumstances at that moment... your little world.
                I like your dreams too.
                (Have to limit my bacons though. *woe!*)
                yeah, I don't eat bacon often, but when I do, I enjoy it..... whats that saying? Familiarity breeds contempt, or some such thing....

Comment

• I consider myself a bacon snob as well.... which is why I make my own.... dry salt rubbed, 14 day cure, and smoked in my wee smoke house...
                  such a pity you cant post me some to check my theory. how do you cure it ? coz in theory, i could bacon some wild pork.

boyz and their dreams.................
                  i like my boyz with their dreams. they keep me alive. and they are so much fun!

Comment

• I think you just stick in the fridge/cooler to cure it, might be wrong though?

And a boy gotta have dreams................

Comment

• i have made breseola with venison by chucking a raw lump of venison in a zip lock bag with salt and sugar and herbs in the fridge for 2 weeks. you take it out after a week and redo the marinade. then i have patted it dry and hung it back in my outdoor dog tucker fridge to air dry. kinda like making biltong too.

Comment

i have made breseola with venison by chucking a raw lump of venison in a zip lock bag with salt and sugar and herbs in the fridge for 2 weeks. you take it out after a week and redo the marinade. then i have patted it dry and hung it back in my outdoor dog tucker fridge to air dry. kinda like making biltong too.
                        That sounds much like the process for making a dry rub bacon, or a ham even. I learned to do bacon from Staley Marianski's book "Home Production of Quality Meats"...

I normally use Morton's Sugar Cure, which is mostly salt. Measure out by weight of the pork belly, rub 1/2 on one side the remainder on the other. I put the belly in a plastic tub with a lid, throw it in the fridge at about 45 degrees F. Flip it ever 2-3 days, rub it down again after 7 days. At the end of 14 days, soak the belly in cold water for about 2 or 3 hours to remove some of the salt, pat it dry, back in the fridge to let the salt "equlize" for 2 days, then I smoke it for about 3 hours at @ 170 degrees F.

Comment

such a pity you cant post me some to check my theory. how do you cure it ? coz in theory, i could bacon some wild pork.
                          yup you sure could....

Comment

• does it need chemicals or can you do it with kitchen gear?

Comment

does it need chemicals or can you do it with kitchen gear?
                              just plain salt, a little sugar, and nitrites to kill botulism bacteria. I've put some smaller pieces in large plastic bags in the fridge.

Comment

• I presume it's okay to just cook it in the oven unsmoked at the temp/duration, as I don't own a smoker, yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X