Primal Primate's Journey to find his inner Grok

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Sick Day"
    I finally took a sick day today. I hate doing it but sometimes it is a necessity. I spent the majority of the day on the couch alternating between sleeping and watching some TV. Around 4:00pm I woke up and felt almost 100%. Other than a slightly stuffed up nose I still feel fine and I'm hoping a good night's rest will finally kick this cold for me. I found homemade chicken and veggie soup with lots of garlic and some hot pepper flakes in it seemed to help open up the airways and get some much needed fluids and energy into me. Also heavy doses of citrus fruit for Vitamin C seemed to help as well. Although I do not usually take meds for my colds tonight I plan on taking a cold and flu tablet to help make sure I get a good night of sleep. Here's hoping tomorrow I am up for a walk or a short stint on the stationary bike (the fresh snow has limited me to the stationary bike and not the mountain bike) I have done no physical activity since Monday and I am itching to get out and do something.

Breakfast: Garden fresh tomato cut into four pieces, each topped with cheddar cheese, garlic pepper, and tuna with hot sauce and garlic mixed in.
    Lunch: a bowl of homemade chicken and veggie soup, two lemons (like them better than oranges) and water to drink.
    Supper a second bowl of homemade chicken and veggie soup with water to drink.
    Evening snack: cup of black licorice tea and a handful of almonds
    Last edited by Primal Primate; 10-10-2012, 08:17 PM.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Comment

First Snowfall of the Season!

Woke this morning to find a blanket of white covering everything outside the window! Also woke to find for the first time in days I could breath out of my nose! Feeling good so far, and hoping I can say the same after work.

Depending on how I feel after work I may start to slowly get back into working out. I don't want to over do it but at the same time I am tired of not doing anything - does that make sense? I think low level cardio might be the best way to go about slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Breakfast: decidedly not very Primal but I was running a little late.
      Morning snack: granny smith apple
      Lunch: Some of that homemade chicken and veggie soup -mmmm can't wait!
      Supper: Steak, steamed asparagus, homemade caesar salad with garlic.
      Last edited by Primal Primate; 10-11-2012, 06:34 AM.
      “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

Comment

Just finished reading Mark's e-book on PB Fitness. I've decided to take the rest of this week and weekend to get fully over this cold and then revamp my weekly workouts to follow his advice. Monday will be the self assessment and then from there I'll work out a weekly schedule to follow. I'm curious to see how badly out of shape I have let myself become but also look forward to bettering myself. So revisiting my goals.

1. Goal weight is still 180lbs.
        2. Get off the BP Meds.
        3. Design and follow a workout plan to improve and then maintain a healthy body according to Mark's e-book.
        4. See a marked improvement in body and overall health in the next 10 months before my wedding.
        5. Summit at least 3 mountain peaks next summer - I hiked to the summit of Prairie Mountain this summer and loved every minute of it. The feeling when you reach the top is amazing! Next summer - Ha Ling/Miner's Peak, Mount Yamnuska, Sulfur Mountain

Comment

I have been pretty lax on the "fitness" portion of being primal. I have been heavily focused on diet, but I think I have hit my permanent plateau as far as weight loss goes until I kick it into gear. I need to read the fitness book. I read the other one. I don't want to read the fitness book, lol that's one step closer to having to do stuff! Just kidding, I am getting there! How's your cold? Hope you are feeling better! My friend came over seeking cold remedies yesterday. I gave her lots of goodies now if I catch it I am up a creek and she'll have to go to the store for me! Tis the season I guess! Feel better

Comment

Day 1: Back on the journey to Grok-dom…

I woke this morning feeling great for the first time in a long time - all traces of the cold that had me down and out were gone! I felt so good I got up this morning and did some light cardio on the stationary bike before breakfast. I was a little surprised at how well I felt considering the events of last night...

I fell off the PB wagon big time yesterday! I caved in to cupcakes at the end of the day and carb dense breads for supper. Not sure why, but the cravings got the best of me. I enjoyed the sugar rush but knew it would not last, and soon enough the sugar high was replaced with the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, which eventually became an over whelming sick feeling. Not a feeling of wanting to get sick but that gross feeling you get when you have over ate and you know the carb coma is coming. I guess I should not be too surprised, all the little cheats here and there were leading me down this path and I should have turned off it way before today. So we are back to day one… again.

Today was weigh in day and sadly the scale tipped the wrong way. 5 pounds on instead of off! So there is the motivation I need to get my ass back on the wagon. I'm moving ahead with plans to incorporate the workout routine and going to try and stay away from all non-primal treats as the temptation seems to be too much.

Breakfast today: 3 egg omelet with 1 cup spinach, mushrooms, garlic and feta cheese filling cooked in 1Tbsp coconut oil. 3 pieces of bacon, 1 glass of milk (skim - I can't drink the other stuff just tastes wrong as I was raised on skim)
            Morning snack: 1 handful of almonds
            Lunch: 1 grilled chicken breast, 2 cups lettuce and homemade caesar salad dressing. Water to drink.
            Supper: Not sure yet.

Morning workout: Light Cardio on the Stationary Bike: 11.1km, 30min

By the numbers:
            Starting weight: 292lbs
            Previous weight: 282lbs
            Current weight: 287.5lbs
            Next weigh in day: Oct. 19, 2012.

First test of the day - presented with a pumpkin scone from Starbucks - said no thanks I don't eat that stuff. It's a small victory but I will take it.
            Last edited by Primal Primate; 10-12-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Primate Log: Day 2 without a Carb incident…

Last night's supper was almost a pitfall. My better half had a craving for hot dogs and I almost gave in. A short trip to the grocery store alleviated the issue for me. She was able to get her soft fresh carb loaded buns and I opted for lettuce to wrap my deer sausage in. I was a little shocked to realize I was really craving the carbs, every bread product we walked past looked so damn good! Although I did eat a little sugar in the ketchup I was more or less able to stay on the path and enjoy the dinner primal style.

So dinner last night: 3 lettuce wrapped homemade deer sausage with white onion, a little cheese, relish, mustard and ketchup and 2 helpings of caesar salad (homemade dressing). Water to drink with it.

Breakfast this morning: 3 egg omelet with spinach, feta cheese and left over white onion from last night. Cooked in 1Tbsp of coconut oil. 3 pieces of bacon, 1 cup licorice tea and a glass of milk.
              Lunch: 1 Garden ripe tomato, five slices of old fort cheddar cheese and 1 can tuna with mayo, onions, garlic pepper and hot sauce. Water to drink.
              Supper: Looks like we are going out for supper after our meeting about the wedding reception. Not sure what I will order yet but it will be Primal!

Jam packed day today which will see a round trip of over 300km to sign the contract for our wedding reception. Hoping to get to the farmers market as well today and I need to book a dentist appointment for a broken tooth. Thankfully it is just a small piece and it is not hurting (knock on wood). Well better get too it! I'll update the journal later tonight. I'm also hoping to fit in a low cardio work out on the bike and do my base line self assessment to see where I start my PBF plan according to Mark's ebook.

Got a short 20 minute ride in today for light cardio - 11.6km
              Last edited by Primal Primate; 10-13-2012, 02:11 PM. Reason: Updating

Comment

Primal Log Day 3 since the Carb Incident

We made the drive up to Red Deer last night to sign the contract and go over the expectations for our wedding next summer. It feels great to finally have a venue and a date - now things seem to be progressing forward at a very fast speed. Stopped by my parents place after for a quick hello and then it was back in the truck for the 1.5 hour drive home. Along the way we decided to stop for supper. Test number two since the carb meltdown three days ago… We decided to go to Applebees where I was able to order a 9oz steak medium rare with shrimp and parmesan cheese. I substituted the mashed garlic potatoes with a second serving of steamed veggies and had water to drink. I left the meal feeling good. We opted to stop for a coffee on the way home - ordered a large coffee with two cream, no sugar. All seems good, the cravings are still there but not as bad as two days ago.

Today is a rest day in terms of working out but there is still lots to do in terms of house work and running errands before company comes over for supper tonight. Stepped on the scale this morning and was surprised to see the weight down 3lbs already! I know its just water weight but its such a nice feeling to stop seeing the weight creeping up and start seeing it drop again. I'm hoping by the end of the month to have the weight into the 270's for the first time in over 10 years!

Breakfast today: 1 garden ripe tomato, tuna with onion, mayo, hot sauce and fresh ground garlic pepper. 4 slices cheddar. (need to start cutting down on the cheese but I love it!) glass of milk and cup of esspresso with steamed milk to drink.
                Lunch: Might skip today given we are having a big supper. Not sure yet.
                Supper BBQ grass feed organic Bison steak, 3 large bacon wrapped fresh "wild caught" scallops, large caesar salad with homemade dressing. Water and 1 glass wine to drink.

On a side note - read the label on the mayo container today and was dismayed to see it contains, sugar and cornstarch as well as canola oil. If there is anyone out there reading this that can offer a primal substitute for mayo I would really welcome a reply. I don't eat a lot of mayo (tbsp at a time) but I find canned tuna to be too dry without mayo. Any primal mayo recipes or alternatives would be most welcome! Thanks.

Comment

There is a mayo recipe on MDA. There are a bunch of different condiment recipes actually. Even the "olive oil" mayo in the store has other non-primal oils in it. I consume so little of it that I don't really worry about it too much though. How exciting about the wedding!! Congrats!

Comment

Update:

Enjoyed a little double smoked sausage as a snack this PM and also came across a Paleo Mayo recipe which I will list here.

Paleo Mayonnaise

1 Large Egg - brought to room temp.
                    1.5 tbsp Lemon juice
                    0.5 tsp mustard powder
                    0.5 cup (125 mL) light olive oil
                    0.5 cup (125 mL) avocado oil
                    0.25 tsp white pepper (optional)

1. Combine egg, lemon juice, and mustard in food processor and blend until frothy.

2. Using the drip hole in the top of the processor, or pouring teaspoon by teaspoon to start, drizzle the oil in drop by drop. Do not rush this process or you will end up with scrambled eggs mixed with oil!

3. Once you have quite a few drops in there, you can pour the oil into the feed tube part of the processor to let that useful drip hole control the rate of flow for you.

4. Refrigerate in a sealed container - it should keep for a week or so.

Not sure how this will go without a drip hole in our food processor but we are going to give it a try and see how it works.

Recipe came from the cook book Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie & Charles Mayfield ISBN #: 978-1-936608-93-5 Page 100.

Comment

That mayo sounds tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                        That mayo sounds tasty.
                        Apparently you can spice the mayo with different peppers - I suspect you could also add cilantro or cilantro and lime and have a nice fresh tasting mayo for lettuce wraps and such.

Supper tonight was amazing - the grass feed no hormone, organic bison steaks and wild scallops were so good. We paired it with a red wine from a small vineyard in BC and the homemade caesar dressing was very tasty. A little bit of sugar in the caesar mix but still so good compared to the store bought stuff!

Sushi rolls with cauliflower instead of rice for lunch tomorrow - can't wait!

Comment

Picked up a new cookbook - It is Paleo but still is useful I think.
                          Quick question to the forum world:
                          What's the deal with alternative flour? Almond, coconut, etc. I see a lot of recipes in Paleo cookbooks that call for these but not a lot of PB recipes with them. Are they good to use, not good, a sometimes and in small amount type of food?
                          Thanks to anyone who can shed a bit of light on the answer for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Jena View Post
                            There is a mayo recipe on MDA. There are a bunch of different condiment recipes actually. Even the "olive oil" mayo in the store has other non-primal oils in it. I consume so little of it that I don't really worry about it too much though. How exciting about the wedding!! Congrats!
                            Thanks for the congrats and the direction on where to find different condiment recipes Jena. I will be sure to check them out.

Comment

Primal Primate Log - Day 4 since the CM (Carb Meltdown)
                              Up early today and tomorrow - urgh!

I have made an appointment with the dentist to assess my broken tooth for tomorrow. Hopefully it is not a worst case scenario as that could come with a hefty price tag!

Breakfast this morning: 2 hardboiled eggs, 1 garden fresh tomato, 1/4 garden fresh cucumber, 3 pieces of bacon. I glass of milk and a cup of coffee with cream.
                              Lunch: 9 pieces of Sushi roles made with cauliflower rice, cucumber, avocado, and canned crab meat. Soya sauce for dipping. Water to drink.
                              Supper: Not sure yet as I was expecting to be at the dentist this evening for my tooth. Will whip up something decidedly primal and super tasty!

Workout day! Going to try the self assessment from Mark's e-book and then sit down and figure out a workout routine.

Comment

It has been a while since I last checked in and sadly I have been completely off the primal way of life. I went to the dentist during this time and found out my tooth would need to have substantial amounts removed due to hairline cracks and that a crown would need to be placed. I have a temporary crown at the moment and go back on the 29th to have the real crown put in. The last two weeks have really taken it out of me, first the flu that knocked me off my game for about a week and then the tooth and subsequent need to find food that was soft to eat while the tooth and gums healed from the beating they took. I just seemed to lose all steam - my sleeping patterns were disrupted due to the constant ache in my jaw keeping me up at all hours and the drain in energy brought with it an end to my working out and drive to make primal food. In fact I sort of became a couch potato when not at work. Now I have dug myself in pretty deep and need to get back out!

I think that my biggest downfall is the lack of convenience that goes along with this lifestyle. When you get feeling depleted and are in total survival mode opposed to living mode you just can't reach for that all healthy, no grains, organic free range, this that and the other primal thing snack unless you have thought ahead and prepared it before hand. I'm starting to get back to my regular sleep patterns and although the weather is crappy here to say the least (heavy snowfall warnings) I'm getting back out and taking my walks BUT I am really finding it difficult to break away from the grains and empty carbs and back into a proper eating habit again. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you make it through - just sheer determination? Mine seems to be lacking as of late.

I have noticed since I started eating the carbs again I feel like crap, always sluggish and so it seems a bit of a vicious cycle - I have low energy so I just go for the quick and easy and I have low energy because I have started going for the quick and easy. Round and round I seem to go. I am making an effort to get back into the primal eating habit. This morning I enjoyed a fresh free range 3 egg omelet with spinach and feta, along with some bacon. Not sure what I am going to make tonight for supper but I am going to try and make it primal.

Take one day at a time I guess. - This is where the accountability that I spoke of in my first post is needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X