Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forget SAD, get MAD. Developing a Mongolian-American Diet!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Mongolia, I never have more than like a shot glass sized portion of rice served as one of several sides. To make it as colorful as the salads/fries with dill on top, they add a bit of ketchup!

Comment

Originally posted by Khainag View Post
      In Mongolia, I never have more than like a shot glass sized portion of rice served as one of several sides. To make it as colorful as the salads/fries with dill on top, they add a bit of ketchup!
      LOL - that's interesting. Funny the things other cultures put together. As a note, I haven't had ketchup in my fridge since 1974 when Congress declared that it was a vegetable for the purpose of school lunches. Old hippies never die, they just boycott shit.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

http://www.gesa.org.au/files/editor_...ODMAP_Diet.pdf

I don't know if I posted this before or not, but I think it's about the best free info on FODMAP out there. The toughest thing to avoid is onion/garlic, but I didn't have to cut it out completely, just tone it down and things heal up I guess. Same with yogurt. I haven't tried having milk tea (Mongolian style -- boiled full fat milk with a bit of stems n' seeds off a brick or tea bag) for a long time either but I should give that a go again.

Comment

I'd say it's a safe bet that it was the other stuff, not the rice. If you feel like you're getting enough carbs from potatoes and not having digestive upsets, then of course stick with that. But I'd give the rice another go if you're ever desperate and and in need of some glucose. And you might want to just make it at home - it's pretty hassle free as far as "cooking" goes.

Ketchup on rice? That's interesting... but definitely colorful
          Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Khainag View Post
            http://www.gesa.org.au/files/editor_...ODMAP_Diet.pdf

I don't know if I posted this before or not, but I think it's about the best free info on FODMAP out there. The toughest thing to avoid is onion/garlic, but I didn't have to cut it out completely, just tone it down and things heal up I guess. Same with yogurt. I haven't tried having milk tea (Mongolian style -- boiled full fat milk with a bit of stems n' seeds off a brick or tea bag) for a long time either but I should give that a go again.
            That is a great link! I also like this one because it's also paleo.

Yes, a lot of it is dose sensitive! For instance, I can have a meal with a bit of well cooked onion, but if I eat that same meal again later that day, I'm in pain.

Comment

hah, yeah I walked into my office today and there was one of those fat little Heinz bottles on the table in the middle of our cubicles, and I was like, why the fuck is that here?!?

I believe that McDonald's Russia special item is fries with dill on top. Seriously, dill kicks ass.

Comment

Also ombat, I eat a ripe banana almost every day...

And come to think of it, I do eat a rice-like thing from time to time that didn't give me problems for the first time this week like it has been... my boyfriend likes to make polenta. I had three bms last week within one morning after eating it, but it was probably something else's fault. I ate some a few days ago and no problems at all.

Comment

Okay, you just said you were trying to find carb sources, but it looks like you have plenty!

Good news that it didn't upset you. Polenta, however, is made from corn, so I'd be cautious about eating it if you have digestive problems.

Comment

Today, "office mom" accosts me in the bathroom.

"You haven't gained any weight! ... you should go get some ice cream. You really need more calories."

"I had gelato yesterday, have you been to that new place..."

"Ugh, well you really need some calories. This is bad for your bones..."

"Well, I got some lard yesterday too."

"That's bad for your heart!"

Comment

Working...
                    X