Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 Year Old Former Bulimic Girl Defying CW (and cooking awesome food)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Year Old Former Bulimic Girl Defying CW (and cooking awesome food)

Hey everyone
    I'm going to be starting a Primal weight loss journal now. I want to gather all my progress here, and have a source for other teenagers on here to check out or contribute to.
    I'm 5'5", and weigh just under 170. I have a body fat % of 27 but I don't know how accurate that is!
    My initial goal is to come down to 140, and my UGW is 130 (but I'll reassess at 140).

I have a history of bulimia and I am still recovering, so I am not including IF at the moment. Hopefully my relationship with food will relax enough to allow me to experiment with it at some point.
    Also my birthday is coming up in November...can't wait for a very, very unhealthy breakfast doughnut.

I'll post pictures of all the food I eat on here. I love to cook so expect tons of good recipes.
    Currently I average around 1700 a day. 60% fat, 25% protein, 15% carb.
    Today I found out that my BMR is 1550, so I'm going to have to either increase exercise or decrease food.

Primal since 8/13 (1 month, go me!)
    I have not really had any weight loss. I had lost 5 pounds about in 3 weeks, but after a non-Primal day gained it back and it hasn't left since.

Anyways, that's enough. Here I go.
    My Primal Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65788.html

16 years old
    5'5"
    SW: 170
    CW: 162
    GW: 140

Primal since 8/12/12.

Today I got really ill. I had a green smoothie (arugula, banana, coconut milk), some broccoli soup, and 2 eggs for breakfast. An hour later, I puked it up, and continues puking every half an hour until I passed out at 5:30. I woke up feeling much better - but totally starved. I was able to stomach a plum, then a mango, then a small bit of white rice and some meatballs.
    I feel somewhat guilty about the excess carbs in the fruit but I was so hungry. And dehydrated. I feel better now though.
    I guess my official postings will start tomorrow. Someone remind me to do my sprint!
    My Primal Journal:

16 years old
    5'5"

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

Don't do your sprint if you're feeling sick! Give yourself a day or two of feeling totally normal to recover
      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
        Don't do your sprint if you're feeling sick! Give yourself a day or two of feeling totally normal to recover
        Thank you for your concern I see you around the forum a lot. The pink hair is pretty remarkable. I actually feel ten times better now and I think tomorrow I'll feel normal. But maybe I'll hold off my sprint until the day after next.
        My Primal Journal:

16 years old
        5'5"

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

Bmr calculators are not accurate. 1500 calories could be correct. But this is if you were sleeping 24/7. When you're having a very lazy day you probably already burn around 2000. More if you sprint or do other movement.
          But good that you're fighting your eating problems. I'm a 15 year old guy who also had some problems. I was 6'2" and 128 lbs once. This forum helped me to get to 150 lbs with a lot of muscle. It's very awesome you found this forum . Do NOT worry about carbs or other macros. Just eat meat, fruit, eggs, dairy, nuts, dark chocolate when you're hungry.
          You don't have to sprint a lot. You already get benefits doing them once a week. Stress is also bad for you, which means you should some nonprimal food occasionaly with friends, good luck
          well then

Comment

Today I woke up and it's that time of the month, I didn't have an appetite but I had some bone broth so I could take my pain killers. I feel gross and sweaty and bloated so I'll just sleep all day and watch horror films and wish I was skinny so I could eat a pizza. But really I can't stomach anything. Except for a pizza, made of doughnuts and toaster strudels.
            My Primal Journal:

16 years old
            5'5"

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

Eating a pizza probably wouldn't help you stay skinny though Hope you feel better soon!
              Depression Lies

Comment

GRRRR. I had some chicken and chocolate to take my second round of naproxen for cramps, and it reminded my body that food exists and now I'm over starved. This is why I can't IF - miss a meal and I rage through the next one totally out of control. Thank god we're having a barbeque tonight, I can just eat a cow and four chickens and feel better. I think I'll take a day off the Primal script though - I'm too frazzled and irritable to deal with people sticking dessert in my face, and me saying no even though my tyrannical uterus is saying FEED ME, FEED ME ALL THE COOKIES IN THE WORLD.
                I'll come back on 100% when the progesterone storm passes. GrrrAAAAHHH. I want to RAPE AND PILLAGE A NATION. WHY THESE FUCKY OVARIES. WHY ME.
                Last edited by golangrok; 09-14-2012, 06:47 AM.
                My Primal Journal:

16 years old
                5'5"

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

Also I would wrestle a puma for some marrow bones right now.

BBQ ended up okay, mostly ate meat and some quiche that I know had flour in it and a little sweet cheese pastry for desert and stuck with the leaner cuts to minimize the impact, but I'm not going to do this again. Starting now, I want to be as Paleo as possible. The off times just feel pathetic and make me bloat for days. After I ovulate I'll take some proper before pictures into this and dive back in with both feet, all the way up to my head. But for now I'm going to marinate in hormones and Desperate Housewives. Adios.
                  Last edited by golangrok; 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM.
                  My Primal Journal:

16 years old
                  5'5"

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

I can totally empathize! I had really awful periods when I was younger too, and it was always accompanied by a week of eating everything and anything in my path! But so seriously not worth the after effects At least that's what we must keep reminding ourselves of whenever that extra-crazy part of the brain tries to take over. It's like the bad cousin who's always talking you into being naughty, but you're the only one who ever gets caught! Did anyone else have one of those? lol
                    My Primal Blueprint Journal

Comment

Also, I am intrigued by your donut/toaster strudel pizza. I would like to propose that anyone cleaning out their pantries of non-primal foods attempt to make the most ridiculous piece of "food" possible before tossing it. And then take pictures, so you can gross yourself out later when you're tempted to eat crap. Any takers?
                      My Primal Blueprint Journal

Comment

Former bulimic weighing in here. I was bulimic for almost TWENTY years. Count them. Twenty. That life is the one thing I would never wish on anyone, and for that reason I feel the need to lecture...

I started my eating disorder at the age of 15. Of course, it all began years prior but the behavior started at age 15. I really, really hope you are getting some type of help for the bulimia. Whether it is through friendships or formal therapy or books or online help. Don't do it alone; the disorder is about an isolating as you can get. Are you in school? Your posts make it sound like you are at home all day. Home schooled or just home from school due to the progesterone storms? With bulimia comes depression; which one comes first I do not know and might be different for everyone. Omega 3 fatty acids were SO helpful for my moderate depression.

Replenish minerals; especially zinc. Zinc can also help control appetite. I can see in your writing that food is still an obsession, and calories still weigh heavily on your mind as the gauge of progress or failure. It breaks my heart.

I'm not even sure where to start. Not one thing works for everyone, but I'll tell you what seemed to work for me.

Exercise. Keep social and keep busy. Wallowing in the self-pity only makes it harder not to binge. Go gluten free! Seriously. 100% gluten free. Processed sugar? OUT. For now, don't focus on how much you are eating, but instead on what you are eating (increase fat and vegetables and water). If you are eating 100% primal, then the weight isn't going to be climbing. After several weeks of eating primal, then look at how much you are eating WITHOUT making it about calories. No more calories. I predict that you will feel better AND that your periods will not be as bad once you get your eating under control. Since going Primal, my periods have been no problem at all. I was a psycho for the few days before my period. In addition, about the time of ovulation I had these weird dizzy/floaty episodes that freaked me out so much I just wanted to eat carbs to feel better. Those two things went away within 6 weeks.

I found the longer I went between binge/purge episodes the less I wanted to binge/purge. I hope that holds same for you.

I am all over the place here. Most of all, congratulations on taking charge. I love the fact that you journal, and I look forward to watching you (figuratively) grow!
                        sigpic
                        Age 48
                        Start date: 7-5-12
                        5'3"
                        121lbs
                        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Just curious as to what kind of pain meds your on? On a couple occasions I would takes some for the "high" in my younger days. I always got sick from them and felt absolutely horrible, not high
                          Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                          Before and after pics
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                          Primal Sucess Story
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                          Primal Journal
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

GADSIE - thanks for the advice. I'm not going to be in school until the spring so I'm going to try and keep active. But I don't really WANT to cheat so much, maybe for birthdays and certain breaks, you know. But I'm trying to manage stress - looking into yoga and meditation. Eventually I want to be able to do the scorpion pose.

SPIRA - I am that cousin I'm alright, I'll manage things today. I'm supposed to go get a hormone panel done and then I have an appt with a naturopath, so I can find a plan of treatment and maybe manage the cramps better. On the subject of donut pizza, I totally agree. Or we just post some Epic Meal Time videos around the forum and see what the reaction is.

PHASELOW - Thank you so much for you advice and concern. I'm not in counseling or anything, but I manage the issue myself. I've been bulimic for 2.5 years now, with some good points and bad points. I used a few different tactics to make myself stop, after I realized I was killing myself doing it. It got to the point where my body wouldn't let anything go until I sat there thrusting my fingers down my throat for an hour. I also realized I was becoming addicted in a way to purging itself. Home alone and depressed? You haven't eaten much, but if you throw up, you'll feel better. All those thoughts would swirl in my head. I'm currently dealing with it somewhat alone. I have a lot of drive. I've told a few people but I think the issue makes them uncomfortable because they never go near it or ask me how I'm doing. I try to keep it out of my casual thoughts, but obviously it's still a ghost in my head.
                            I'm not in school right now. I'm taking a semester off to manage my life and organize some personal issues.

I'm still counting calories but trying to back off, I just really don't want to gain any more weight. I was already slightly overweight while b/ping but after I stopped I gained 15lbs, and can't fit into my old clothes, not even my t-shirts.

I'm supplementing with GABA, tryptophan, B6, and magnesium for depression, I'll look into the zinc. I'm trying to eat more seaweed to get more iodine.

This cycle is much better than the last one. I'm working on going 100% but already have improvements, the cramps are so much more manageable.
                            I hope to see you post here again, the input is really appreciated. Thank you

BENNET - I take naproxen for cramps, I don't think you can get high off that
                            My Primal Journal:

16 years old
                            5'5"

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

Hi Golangrok!

Just wanted to pop my head in to say hello Good for you for taking steps to get healthy!

Wanted to second the suggestion of supplementing fish oil (I take a mix, salmon oil, krill oil, etc). I take about 4000 mg/day and I know it's helped. Also, eight weeks ago, I started eating really, really cleanly. No wheat, or sugar at all, even cut down on my fruit to just berries occasionally. (This was to fight my insulin resistance.) Anyway, about 2 1/2 weeks in, my head kind of cleared. It happened all at once over the course of a day or two.

It's weird/hard to explain but the lingering depression that I have lifted, I felt happier, and more capable. I have all this energy, and from time to time, I've wondered if this is what other people feel like all the time. It's been wonderful!

So I would echo what PHaselow said, to focus on healthy food choices, up the fats, drop the sugars, and cut out grains completely. Your body will go through a healing phase, but I bet it'll be quicker than mine is. Me at 35, I have a lot more damage to overcome.

Edit: Re: the fish oil, I read on a NIH site a list of the various studies for fish oil and the different amounts that were good for different health issues. After reading the list, sorry I wish I had a link, I decided that 4k mg would be good for me. You'll have to do a little of research to see what's good for you.

Also a suggestion, if you have health insurance, have your vitamin D levels tested. If you're low, you can supplement with Vitamin D3 (it's much, much better than Vitamin D2). Watch Dr. Mercola's youtube video series on Vitamin D to find out more about how Vit D can benefit you.
                              Last edited by lissee; 09-15-2012, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X