The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal

Hi there! My name is Paula (aka pebbles67). You may already know me from "The Bedrock Journal"

I have been Primal for almost two years. This lifestyle brought me from the brink of death to great health. I am a total convert. As of my one year anniversary, I had lost 65 of the 100 lbs I was hoping to lose. That is the good news. Unfortunately, the last year has not been as successful. I have regained 30 lbs and have a worsening night binge eating disorder. I went from a few bad days/month around that TOM to a few binge days/week.

There are many factors involved in my particular problem. I was raised by two fabulous, loving, emotional binge eaters who were morbidly obese all of their adult lives. My Mom died last October after a long fight with ovarian cancer. She died in my home under my care. I am perimenopausal and likely have adrenal fatigue. If you wish, you can read my entire story in my journal linked in my signature.

Here is what I am trying now. I am doing a W30 for September because I believe that I have an addiction to artificial sweeteners. I am trying to eat a min of 50g of protein at breakfast a la Leptin Reset because I have read that night bingers have low Leptin sensitivity and don't produce enough melatonin at night. Therefore, I have also added melatonin to try and improve my sleep. I have found a correlation between binges and poor sleep the previous night based on info gleaned from my GOWEARFIT arm band. I will report my progress here as it relates to the binge issue.

***Please feel free to post here. Tell us about your own binge issues and anything that has helped you or others. I would ask that people do not post "Get some willpower" as their only suggestion. I have found that willpower is only one factor in a much bigger picture.

Cheers!
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

I am working on my binge issue by increasing fruits and veggies via smoothies. Sleep is also a factor, I personally "self medicate" with food when tired.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

I'm reading Julia Ross's Diet Cure, and I've heard good things about it, but I'm only about halfway through the book. Feeling optimistic, though.

My issues started after a concussion that followed a prior one too closely, and I'm thinking there's something I'm not producing like I should.
      Durp.

Comment

1 day binge free

Rita Rose, I read The Mood Cure. It was fascinating, but the volume of supplements needed was daunting. Maybe I'll read The Diet Cure next.

Karin, I am going to come up with some berry/veg smoothie recipes with CM so that I can switch off my breakfast sometimes and still stay W30 compliant.

I wanted to describe my binges because they can be pretty severe and It might help someone else to know that they are not crazy or alone in this. Most days I eat fully Primal until after dinner. I will feel fine with little urge to binge. Suddenly, I will begin to picture a certain high carb food. My mind will begin to obsess on that food. I may try to pep talk myself out of it, but another part of my mind is saying "Oh go ahead, you deserve it, tomorrow is another day". (I call this voice Scarlett O'Hara)
        Eventually I give in. I'll eat the food I was thinking about. Then I'll eat something else and so on. I will eat for 2-3 hrs straight and then fall into bed like a drunk on a bender. Being tired and stressed/annoyed seems to be a big trigger problem for me.

Here is a typical binge:
        Ice Cream
        Cereal with milk
        Bread and PB
        Fruit snacks
        Graham Crackers
        Chips
        Candy

*Now the reason for my weight regain becomes clear. I do this at least 3x a week. Afterwards, I feel great remorse and self loathing, but I can't seem to stop it from happening. BTW all of the above is in the house for my husband and kids. Bad, I know.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

I was doing so well last night or so I thought. I thought, man the smoothies worked great. I could not sleep.. 10pm, 11pm 11:30=pretzels ( I had thought about them for an hour and a half).
          Karin

Comment

First, I want to address the notion of "willpower"...The human body is beautifully evolved to tell us what we need to survive and thrive. When our bodies are starved for one reason or another (diet induced or inability of the body to utilize nutrients) it will take you to food, you do not have the power to stop, period. It is like expecting yourself to hold your breath because there is an allergen in the air nearby, you will breath, period. So the message I would like to pass on here is to not feel guilty or annoyed with yourself, your body is working as it should. Now to figure out why, this is the work that is ahead.

Second I would like to suggest that you hold part of a smoothie in the fridge to drink while you are trying to figure out what you are going to binge on. It might slow you down, and if not at least you will have a jolt of nutrition before the junk. I have been using this strategy for my lunch. I save out part of my breakfast smoothie to eat while I am making lunch because that is one of my binge times. The other time I tend to binge is 4pm give or take an hour. And that is the other time I drink a smoothie or part of one.

If I am tired, I try not to take a nap but to listen to a 30 minute meditation mid afternoon. It tends to be more refreshing than a nap.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Originally posted by demuralist View Post

Second I would like to suggest that you hold part of a smoothie in the fridge to drink while you are trying to figure out what you are going to binge on. It might slow you down, and if not at least you will have a jolt of nutrition before the junk. I have been using this strategy for my lunch. I save out part of my breakfast smoothie to eat while I am making lunch because that is one of my binge times. The other time I tend to binge is 4pm give or take an hour. And that is the other time I drink a smoothie or part of one.
              Do you know what is so annoying?? When something so simple is oblivious to the person who needs it. You know what is awesome?? When someone points it out to you. <3 ya gf!!
              Karin

Comment

Hey, I am 53 so you see how long it has taken me to figure it out!
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Hey, I am 53 so you see how long it has taken me to figure it out!
                  Oh you make me feel like such a kid when you bandy your age about! LOL (Like your that much older! LOL)
                  Karin

Comment

I actually had to do the math to remember my age, if I had to say the age I feel, most days it would be 35 (my age brain is dyslexic!)
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                      I wanted to describe my binges because they can be pretty severe and It might help someone else to know that they are not crazy or alone in this. Most days I eat fully Primal until after dinner. I will feel fine with little urge to binge. Suddenly, I will begin to picture a certain high carb food. My mind will begin to obsess on that food. I may try to pep talk myself out of it, but another part of my mind is saying "Oh go ahead, you deserve it, tomorrow is another day". (I call this voice Scarlett O'Hara)
                      Eventually I give in. I'll eat the food I was thinking about. Then I'll eat something else and so on. I will eat for 2-3 hrs straight and then fall into bed like a drunk on a bender. Being tired and stressed/annoyed seems to be a big trigger problem for me.

Here is a typical binge:
                      Ice Cream
                      Cereal with milk
                      Bread and PB
                      Fruit snacks
                      Graham Crackers
                      Chips
                      Candy

*Now the reason for my weight regain becomes clear. I do this at least 3x a week. Afterwards, I feel great remorse and self loathing, but I can't seem to stop it from happening. BTW all of the above is in the house for my husband and kids. Bad, I know.
                      This sounds a lot like the binges I have. And if it starts at the beginning of the week, it tends to carry through till the end because I have this mental block about starting things (being "good") mid-week. I can't even blame my partner for having stuff in the house as she's strictly paleo. I actively go out and purchase it *sigh*

Comment

And the cheat....I had to make cupcakes last night as a thank you to my husband's class for their donation to my father-in-law's charity. I didn't eat any of the cake-batter or cake once baked-but the icing is a different story. I had a pretty significant amount of it, probably 1/2C, dollop here dollop there for taste testing got a bit out of hand. But man it was one of my best batches ever!

I am not sure about calling this a binge, per se, I think it was more about opportunity. I didn't go looking for it, and I didn't actually eat as much as I would have I think, but icing is definitely my downfall. I guess I could have made something else that didn't include my downfall, so maybe my binges are just sneakier than they used to be.

I then felt like crap all night, tummy and joints. I don't know if the joints are related to the sugar but I sure hope so.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

Well I had an opportunity eat a thon myself yesterday. There was a lot of stress around keeping the party secret and I was acting as my SIL's right hand gal.. When we finally got it all set up, I started out ok and then got into the chips, then the cookies. I just kept eating the rest of the night. I think my inability to stop until bed is like some people being unable to start a diet on any day but Monday. This morning I am tired and bloated, but ready to eat clean again. Sadly, W30 for Sept is now a W28 (hopefully).
                          Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

60 minutes had a bit on last night about the flavorings that they add to foods to essentially make them addictive. Of course they said "not addictive so much as make you want to keep coming back for more" it is not "so much that we are trying to get people to eat more at one sitting as that we want them to keep buying it". Basically said that if it comes in a box, package or bag flavors have been added to "enhance" the taste experience. Part of the reason that our fresh often don't taste the way we think it should or how we remember it from being a kid is that our taste buds are not sensitive to those flavors, and partly because the packaged have been enhanced so in comparison fresh is not flavor enhanced. I knew all of this but seeing them just chat it up and not take responsibility for how it has contributed to the way Americans eat was irritating.

They actually said that they shoot for a flavor burst up front with a very short linger so that you will want to eat more of it. So once you put one in your mouth, well you are a goner.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe in personal responsibility, but come on, the pusher has to take some responsibility.

Of course that doesn't excuse my little adventure, since it was made from scratch, I was the pusher and the buyer.

Today is a new day.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

60 minutes had a bit on last night about the flavorings that they add to foods to essentially make them addictive. Of course they said "not addictive so much as make you want to keep coming back for more" it is not "so much that we are trying to get people to eat more at one sitting as that we want them to keep buying it". Basically said that if it comes in a box, package or bag flavors have been added to "enhance" the taste experience. Part of the reason that our fresh often don't taste the way we think it should or how we remember it from being a kid is that our taste buds are not sensitive to those flavors, and partly because the packaged have been enhanced so in comparison fresh is not flavor enhanced. I knew all of this but seeing them just chat it up and not take responsibility for how it has contributed to the way Americans eat was irritating.

They actually said that they shoot for a flavor burst up front with a very short linger so that you will want to eat more of it. So once you put one in your mouth, well you are a goner.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe in personal responsibility, but come on, the pusher has to take some responsibility.

Of course that doesn't excuse my little adventure, since it was made from scratch, I was the pusher and the buyer.

Today is a new day.
                              I saw that too. Though I knew before I watched, it was still a little creepy.
                              Durp.

Comment

Working...
                              X