No announcement yet.

Getting Centered - PrimalWithKids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, love your food choices. The turkey with tapenade sounds especially delicious. I think you're doing great. I can see the difference in the pics. More changes to come, I'm sure.

Tell me more about your invisible shoes. I don't run anymore because of my RA. It mostly affects my knees so this is problematic when I try to run. I get my sprints through fast swims or bike rides when I can.

My 5-year-old's favorite snacks are chicken nuggets and raw sheep's milk cheese. I call this progress. I make the chicken nuggets myself. We do kale chips and carrots with dip, too.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d61289-12.html

Comment

Quiet house now that DH took the kids to the store. I have been nursing/pregnant since Aug 2007 and starving pretty much that whole time. I've found with primal that if I eat enough food at each meal I am good with maybe 1 snack in the afternoon. My biggest problem has been eating enough for lunch.
      My kids are fairly adventurous eaters. Favorite go-to meal is meatloaf which I make 50% ground beef, 50% ground pork, 1 egg per pound of meat, ground mustard, salt, garlic powder, and celery salt. Cook @350 for 1hr. I cover it with ketchup before baking (HFCS free). Both kids gobble it up. I have not cut dairy for them, just make sure it's full fat. So a favorite snack is cheese sticks. I was buying string cheese, but have transitioned to just taking a block and cutting off sticks. Considering we used to get american cheese slices, I think we've come a long way! Fruit and veggies in bite size pieces are also big.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, Teach! Yeah, I am trying to eat a lot at meals. I think what's hard is how full I get from the vegetables, so sometimes I just need a second round about 45m later when I realize I'm not quite satisfied!

Invisible shoes are like traditional running huaraches made with modern materials, like the rubber used in vibram five fingers. You order a kit to make your own... I just walked a block and did LHT in them yesterday, and it was a lot of fun walking through grass, an adjustment walking on pavement! If you're interested in almost-barefoot running, avocado girl, you should check them out - great price!

Made some simple paleo cookies yesterday for D, to store in the freezer and pull out as needed so she doesn't feel totally deprived of normal kid stuff. Managed to only eat 2 myself - they were pretty good!

Big, slightly stressful meetings yesterday and today, was only a little tempted by the chips and cookies hanging around, and that was more an emotional thing, I think. Stuck with black coffee and later was rewarded with these massive, delicious shrimp!
        SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
        CW 140 & 30% bf (Aug. 4, 2012)
        Goal 25% bf

Comment

Calipers came in the mail! 30% body fat, which seems right to me. That's 42 pounds of fat. Excited to build some lean muscle mass and drop some fat over the next few months! To get to 135 and 25% bf, I'd need to drop 8-9 pounds of fat, and gain 3-4 pounds of muscle. How long does it take women to gain muscle?
          SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
          Goal 25% bf

Comment

I have no idea but that's awesome that you got calipers. I was referred to a website by zoebird that uses several measurements to guesstimate body fat. It came up with 28% if I remember correctly.

I think how fast you lose it depends on body type. Also, I'm guessing that it will be easier once your youngest is weaned. That was my experience with my first. I didn't do much lose pounds as body fat once he weaned and my body let go off some of the extra fat. I have a typical mesomorph build though my wrists, neck and ankles are tiny, I gain muscle better than ectomorphs so it's clear I'm more meso. I have a girlfriend who lifts and does crossfit and it has taken her a long time to drop body fat, having built a lot of muscle first.

So, well, I didn't add much to your knowledge but just some anecdotal evidence.

Comment

The calipers were actually pretty cheap and not too complicated, then used an online 3-site calculator to get the percentage... Would rather track body fat than weight since the scale can be so misleading! In the past, I've dropped weight ok while nursing, so we'll see. The good thing is, I feel comfortable in my skin at this size, so if I just gain fitness and wait to drop fat til weaning (potentially years away), I can be ok with that! With a google search, the conservative estimates seemed like .5-1 pound of muscle gain per month for women... Since I'm not going super hard-core, I'd guess the lower end for myself . Probably more of an endomorph, as well, though my body usually responds wells to exercise!
              SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
              Goal 25% bf

Comment

I used the Lose It app religiously the first few weeks, now am doing it more sporadically - we'll see how that goes! Today was a non-tracking day, and it felt good!

I had the kids on my own for a few hours after nap/quiet time, and suggested we go to the park. I was amazed when D suggested on her own that we walk/scoot to the nearby park - my husband and I love walking, but she has usually resisted so much that circling the block as a family feels huge! This park is like 8-10 blocks away. She made it the whole way without complaint, climbed and rolled down lovely green hills for an hour, then made it back, still no complaining, though I could see she was tired. WOW! I was really proud.

Sadly though, a week in, she is still having some bottom irritation when she goes to the bathroom. Grain out, dairy out, I slipped and a little soy got in this week... Do you think I should wait another week, just get more strict watching for soy? I'm not sure what I would experiment taking out next. She asks daily about adding dairy back in - I think she misses cheese.

B: sausage and eggs
                L: salad w tomato, egg, ham, turkey and bacon-y dressing
                S: nuts, a couple dates
                D: chicken curry w coconut milk and veggies on mashed cauliflower
                S: a few sips of wine before realizing my body didn't want it, more nuts, dark chocolate
                SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
                Goal 25% bf

Comment

I would definitely wait a little longer. I think it can take 2 weeks for everything to clear out, and then it will take additional time for the rash to clear up.

Comment

I agree with teach. I've heard that it can take up to a month to get results from eliminating dairy. Those casein proteins hang around. And it could very well be something else causing the rash. I think I'd give it 30 days if your gut instinct is telling you the cause could be dairy.

We eliminated dairy for 70 days to see if it would clear up my oldest son's eczema back when he was 3 years old. Dairy was not the culprit but it was the body wash/lotion and winter dryness. Our allergist even tested him before and after. It can take time and experimentation.

Comment

Thanks, I'll stay the course .
                      SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
                      Goal 25% bf

Comment

Down another half pound! I was thinking last night I can see a little difference in my arms now... Not tracking, exercising just as it comes up in life, but eating very primally. Had a "fancy" breakfast meeting yesterday and decided to risk going in fasted. Sure enough, there was coffee, bacon, and fruit along with all the other grain-y stuff in the buffet line, so it worked out. (I felt a little weird, and put some potatos on my plate as camouflage but didn't eat them!) Green coconut smoothie lunch, snack of nuts & a date, dinner of chicken and broccoli salad, dessert of wine and dark chocolate... Starting today IFing so I can lock in on some work while my husband cares for the kids.
                        SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
                        Goal 25% bf

Comment

I caught my husband staring at me tonight, and he asked if I'd noticed how much my face and neck are slimming down. Went and checked in the mirror - he's right, and it feels good! Earlier he'd noticed how loose some of my pants have gotten... He's impressed and complimented me for "sticking with it," and I could honesty tell him it's not feeling that hard. I can still eat all the best parts of everything!

B: eggs w avocado, dates
                          L: green coconut smoothie
                          D: few grapes, tomato basil bisque, Cobb salad, wine
                          SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
                          Goal 25% bf

Comment

Ok, I'm going to keep the momentum rolling, get my busy day with crazy meetings off to a good start.. LHT! I am loving the freedom to start with lots of wall pushups instead of forcing myself through a few completely miserable knee pushups. Gotta start somewhere!
                            SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
                            Goal 25% bf

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalWithKids View Post
                              Down another half pound! I was thinking last night I can see a little difference in my arms now... Not tracking, exercising just as it comes up in life, but eating very primally. Had a "fancy" breakfast meeting yesterday and decided to risk going in fasted. Sure enough, there was coffee, bacon, and fruit along with all the other grain-y stuff in the buffet line, so it worked out. (I felt a little weird, and put some potatos on my plate as camouflage but didn't eat them!) Green coconut smoothie lunch, snack of nuts & a date, dinner of chicken and broccoli salad, dessert of wine and dark chocolate... Starting today IFing so I can lock in on some work while my husband cares for the kids.

Wooooosh! Yeay for you! And awesome for your husband noticing, too.

Comment

I had a rough day yesterday, then drank too much coffee in the afternoon, so getting to sleep too forever! Now that I write that down, I'm thinking, hmm, how can I do basically what I need to do today, but also take it slow? Nourish myself without comfort eating?? Some outside time sounds good - but it's been so hot, a trip to the library with AC sounds even better!

D slammed her finger in the door yesterday - ouch! After the first rounds of weeping and wailing, we started talking about the interesting colors it was going to turn. She decided the bruise under her nail was "nature's nail polish.". Love that girl!
                                SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
                                Goal 25% bf

Comment

Working...
                                X