Recovering Vegan goes Primal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avocadogirl View Post
    Betorq- LOL! Indeed, kitchen and bedroom are my laboratories now <evil mad scientist laughter>. Your unheated train comment brought me right back to being on a train in Russia shivering and drinking vodka. A bad combo. Much better to hug monks. How old is your son?
    Stone, his name, turned 6 y.o. in mid April. An older(but good) photo of the two of us...Brett and Stone 6.15.08.jpg
    So, I put butter in my coffee!!! Butter! Who am I? What have I become? Haha.

Yesterday I logged 4 miles of walking with the baby on my back, taking it slow with the older boy stopping to inspect every flower and bug. Today the older one is already at camp and I'm going to walk 3 miles a little faster with the dog and baby on my back.
    Gives the term "baby back ribs" a new twist, eh?
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Jenn has a good pancake recipe you might try on your family.

2 eggs
      2T cream cheese, softened
      1T coconut flour
      1t vanilla

Blend together then let sit for a few minutes to let the air bubbles pop. Pour small cakes onto a warm skillet, cook for a few minutes, then flip. Cook to set the second side. They are easier to flip if they are small.

I got 8 silver dollar pancakes out of the recipe. My whole family loved them. They are vaguely reminiscent of french toast. They are also great cold as a bread substitute in almond butter and jelly sandwiches.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
        Jenn has a good pancake recipe you might try on your family.

2 eggs
        2T cream cheese, softened
        1T coconut flour
        1t vanilla

Blend together then let sit for a few minutes to let the air bubbles pop. Pour small cakes onto a warm skillet, cook for a few minutes, then flip. Cook to set the second side. They are easier to flip if they are small.

I got 8 silver dollar pancakes out of the recipe. My whole family loved them. They are vaguely reminiscent of french toast. They are also great cold as a bread substitute in almond butter and jelly sandwiches.
        Wow! Thank you! Looks great and also easy. Sometimes every asks for breakfast for dinner. I can't wait to try them. I wonder if they would work with ricotta. I have a big tub of ricotta I bought on Saturday but no cream cheese.

Sigh.

So, the baby only napped for 50 minutes. So I got in only a 20 minute workout, and some chores done. Oh well. I was going to make the meatloaf during his nap, but now I'll probably just fix something cold for dinner.
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d61289-12.html

Comment

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
          Stone, his name, turned 6 y.o. in mid April. An older(but good) photo of the two of us...[ATTACH]8655[/ATTACH]

Gives the term "baby back ribs" a new twist, eh?
          Awww! He's a cutie!! And look at you, all shirtless with a sandalwood mala.

Yes, the baby likes to kick me or pull at my ponytail, and sometimes even a bite in the shoulder but this too shall pass. He will be toddling away and running after his big bro and the dog soon enough.

Comment

The highlights this morning so far:

The baby slept in 3-4 hours stretches. He woke about 3 times last night, instead of 5-7 or more times. Amazing that just getting two solid 3 hour stretches makes me feel well rested. He woke at 5:30 to nurse as well, and then slept until 7. That alone made me feel like I got some extra sleep as my oldest didn't wake me at 6 or 6:30 but also slept until 7:00. I guess my bar on sleep is set pretty low at the moment. I know it will get better this year as the baby gets closer to 2 and begins to wean. At least, I hope he weans from these nighttime feedings. I can handle nursing longer and would like to make it to 22 months the way I did with my oldest, but we shall see.

I had a yummy breakfast. Before going grain-free, I used to make this "summer porridge" overnight in my fridge. It essentially consisted of equal parts gluten-free rolled oats, coconut milk, and yogurt and then two spoonfuls of chia seeds. I would mix it all together in a mason jar the night before, and the oats would cook in the milk and yogurt overnight. The chia seeds would soak up the rest of the moisture, and then I would add honey and some spices in the morning before devouring it.

Now that I'm grain-free, I've stopped eating oats. So this is my new, new summer porridge:

1 cup full fat greek yogurt
            3 tablespoons of chia seeds
            1/4 cup dried fruit (mostly unsulphured apricots chopped into small pieces, and some raisins it helps take the place of the oats for texture)

I mix it all up and let it sit overnight in the fridge. This morning I added just a teaspoon of honey, some cinnamon, cardamon, and coriander.

It was a nice change up from eggs or protein smoothie. I didn't miss the oats, and tried not to feel bad about the dried fruit.

I'm going to head to a yoga class at 11 am. I have a babysitter twice a week that cares for the baby so I can work. I work for myself now, bidding and getting contracts on technical writing work (I write in the biomedical/organic chemistry field). The work can be inconsistent, so sometimes I have more work than I can handle and no babysitter, and then I'm working through naptimes and late into the night. Sometimes I have the babysitter but not enough work to fill my time. Since I'm in a lull now, I'm taking the opportunity to actually attend a class again.

Later today I have a play date with the kids at a friend's house. It will be a challenge, food-wise, as my friend is a junk food pusher. She always puts out Oreos and cookies and lots of other goodies. My oldest son thinks it's awesome since we don't keep that kind of food in our house, and I don't begrudge him an Oreo The struggle is more for myself. Even before going primal, I was pretty good about making sure I ate whole foods. I rather eat someone's homemade cookie, made with real butter than a processed cookie. But my friend gets all upset if I don't snack at all. She says I'm "too skinny", and I'll be anorexic if I don't eat. Sigh. I think I can hardly be called anorexic, and it makes our time together difficult. If I bring a healthy alternative, she acts insulted. I try just to make it through the time without having food be a topic of conversation. Why talk about food and diets when we can talk about our adorable children??

Comment

Yoga was intense, hot, sweaty and ended with me feeling light and euphoric. Just love getting to a class finally after months of only spotty home practice.

Now off to the dreaded playdate. I have my best anti-Oreo game face on. And that yoga high.

Comment

All in all a winning day.

More sleep than usual last night.
                Yoga class.
                Did not eat any cookies at the playdate though they were literally pushed right in front of me.
                4 mile walk with dog and kids where we got caught in a sudden downpour even as the sun was shining.
                Rainbow.
                Simple dinner of greens, tomatoes, old-fashioned but paleo meatloaf and some peaches for dessert.

The only thing missing from this day is unicorns. Unicorns would have made it spectacular.

Comment

Did not eat any cookies at the playdate though they were literally pushed right in front of me.
                  Hooray!

The only thing missing from this day is unicorns. Unicorns would have made it spectacular.
                  Happy to oblige.

Steph
                  My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Robocop is a virgin?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      Robocop is a virgin?!?
                      I love it! Unicorn with Robot! That is hilarious. I nearly spit out my coffee.

My morning is off to a good start.

Breakfast:
                      Coffee with unsweetened coconut milk
                      4 chicken-apple breakfast sausages (organic/no nitrites)
                      1 egg
                      1/2 avocado and some leftover greens

Sleep: baby slept a bit better again. He woke about 3 times, sleeping in 3 hour stretches again. It is so much more restful than the previous pattern of waking every 90-120 minutes.

Today is the equivalent national holiday of 4th of July in my home country of Switzerland. In 1291, a few spirited Swiss farmers decided they no longer wanted any part of the Holy Roman Empire and little Switzerland was born. It makes me homesick. If I was there I'd be taking a long midday nap to prepare for an evening of bonfires, lantern parades and bratwursts, followed by beer a dancing. In some ways I'm completely Americanized but I still long to spend more time there, especially with my half-brother and aunts and uncles. Also, I miss the dairy. The fresh, raw milk and yogurt of the next door dairy. Happy August 1st!

Comment

You got it right with heat and football, Avocadogirl! Waxahachie is a charming small town, with lots of Victorian era homes in the old town section, and a huge, sprawling outlet mall in the new. They have beautiful crepe myrtles blooming in the spring and summer. She'll be close enough to Dallas to get to experience the city if she wants, but Waxahachie itself is pretty quiet. They have a WWII re-enactment in November that is supposed to be good. And lots of small-town Texas festivals. It will definitely be different from Switzerland!

Comment

Lunch today:
                          Canned salmon over sauteed spinach
                          Kale chips

What can I say? I had to eat fast with a fussy baby at lunchtime. But I feel good about the greens & salmon combo.

I was able to do 30 minutes of heavy lifting during the baby's naptime, and still squeezed in a shower. Wow. It might be another rainbows and unicorns kind of day. Rainbows, unicorns and robots, oh my.

And to top it of, I got some lingerie in the mail. This is what happens when you're a mommy to boys, you're reduced to buying bras and panties and things over the internet because dragging two little boys into an intimate apparel store is just not going to happen. Thank you intiMint for existing and having such cute stuff. My ego is pretty inflated after squeezing into a size Small (I was feeling ambitious the day I ordered them) panties and prancing about the bathroom. I'm sure something will happen today to deflate that ego again. I'll probably get peed on or coughed on, or have to rescue another frog.

Comment

Loved reading about your play date experience! That is one of the things I'm dreading a bit... I don't plan on being too strict with D, unless it really seems like the gluten messes with her. I am asking her to be pretty "pure" about it for a few weeks so I can see, then I'm hoping she'll just gradually make the connection about how it makes her feel!
                            SW 149 (July 9th, 2012)
                            CW 140 & 30% bf (Aug. 4, 2012)
                            Goal 25% bf

Comment

Current cravings:
                              Indian food (saag paneer and the like, very spicy)

Hummus (my Israeli husbands extra yummy hummus heavy with spices)

Maybe someone can help me figure out a way to make hummus possible. Soak the chickpeas? If I soak them, might they be safer? I assume the tahini is okay, in moderation. And a splash of good quality olive oil (unheated, obviously) won't hurt either. Any feedback?

Comment

read somewhere a recipe for fermented hummus, will see if I can find it
                                it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

Comment

Working...
                                X