Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, we have gone through some troubles! Long periods of time when we could not get in at all, the app stopped working, we could not post photos, links, or videos...all that kills a forum, but we hung in. And yeah, our posts got eaten with regularity. Our avatars are gone, which makes me very sad.
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• David: The Forum, still a measure of technical ineptitude and highly irritating non responsiveness from MDA. To steal Lovebird's thunder here: when you log in -- there is a "remember me" check box right under your login, click that first, then enter your login info, and it will at least not auto log you out after some random very short period. If you have something long to post, I highly recommend you writing the post in your fav text editor, then copy/paste into MDA. The text recovery feature would be nice if it were predictable, but in my experience, you never know what you'll get back.
      The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• I went through similar frustrations at one of the woodworking forums I frequent. It's frustrating. Thanks for the tips Rig D, I'll use them all!

So what I was going to say before it all vanished into the ether was that when I got back from the hospital, two years ago I weighed about 218. I looked drawn and sickly and every time I stood up quickly I felt faint due to a combination of the pain killers (the really bad kind that I stopped taking almost immediately) and low blood pressure given that my BP meds were all screwed up and dosing was in flux because it's based in part on bodyweight apparently. But the one change that I was cognizant of was insane thirst.

They called it diabetes insipitous. Not sure of the spelling there. But its some issue having to do with the pituitary gland and the regulation of fluids. I guess my brain wasn't making whatever chemical connection it needed to know that I had enough water in my body. So I was thirsty all the time. No matter how much I drank I was never quenched. It was very weird. Imagine drinking so much that you can feel your stomach distended and still being thirsty. That went on for months, but got better progressively. What I craved was lemonade. I could drink a pint in a flash, like chugging car bombs on a dare (years of training there). I was going through a half a gallon a day cut 3:1 with water. Still it was a lot of sugar and I put weight on fast. By Christmas 2015 I was up over 250 lbs. again.

Last year that all got better and I tried to lose weight, but not whole heartedly. I did get back to eating Paleo/Primal, but hit alcohol hard. My Son was getting married and there were lots of dinners and events all year long. The wedding was in October (very nice). I wish I remembered more of it, but every time my whiskey glass was empty, it got filled again. Every time it was filled I emptied it. I remember up through my speech (I killed ;-) then it fades. Fortunately there were lots of pictures and without bragging too much, I am a charming drunk. I'm told that there is some video of me dancing like a fool, but so far I haven't seen it. What I do when I am drunk is none of my business.

So by last Christmas I was huge and heavy. I avoided stepping on a scale, because I really didn't want to face the results. But my year end MRI was rapidly approaching (I have them done twice a year still to check on the tumor site). I knew I would get a ration from my doctor because of my weight and my blood pressure.

Oh yes, I stopped seeing my Primary Care doctor because she was pressuring me to lose weight, and I really didn't want to. So I told them to take a hike and stopped going to check ups. Then I stopped taking my BP meds and my blood pressure went through the roof. I'm a charming drunk, but I'm a lousy patient when I'm pushed, apparently. But the main reason for my revolt against the PC Doc was embarrassment and stubbornness. Dark times.

Of course when I went to see my Brain Doctor (who I really like), my blood pressure was 210/100 at the office, and my weight was over 280. When he came in to see me, he said something to the effect of, "You know David, I went to some trouble to put your brain back in working order, I would hate to have all this work undone by the stroke you seem to be inviting." That got to me. My Mother and Grandmother both had strokes and my Grandmother died from one. I told him about firing my Primary Care Doc and asked for a referral. He gave me the name of a guy in the same practice and I went to see him the next day.

It's taken some time to get my BP under control, but it is now, thankfully. Early in April he challenged me to lose 25 pounds by October. (I weighed 285 in his office). That's what kick started me to lose weight again. But it was more than that really. It's complicated, but somehow after the whole ordeal I was pretty demoralized and depressed and feeling very sorry for myself. Somehow I've been snapped out of it before becoming too self destructive, for which I am grateful.

I'm ready to move forward again. Thanks for reading this far! :-)

David
        Height: 5' 10"
        Starting Weight: 292
        Starting Primal Weight: 275
        Current weight: 265
        Goal weight: 195
        Body Fat 35.2

Comment

• So glad you came back and have chosen to share with us. The last two years have been tumultuous for a few of us, but your story is the grand prize winner.

Do you have any plans other than clean eating/cut back booze/etc? I've been trying that but it's just not working. I'm probably going to try a hack.

Comment

• Welcome back David. I was a regular lurker in your journal way back, and look forward to reading of your continued journey ahead.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• David, I'm so sorry you had a dark period. Considering everything, I'm guessing that might be fairly normal. So very glad you came back and continued your journal. I look forward to reading your success story one day.
              Female 55
              Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
              Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Thanks for the support everyone :-) Hi Greensprout! Thanks for stopping by!

I sort of have a plan. Funny, my Doctor asked the very same question, "how are you going to lose the weight, curb the drinking, etc., etc." I couldn't really think of anything to say except, that I needed to be really honest with myself. What I meant, (and I didn't articulate it very well in the office, I'll try to do better here) is that somehow I convinced myself that I couldn't lose weight anymore. That something had fundamentally changed (due to the operation and my disrupted hormones) in my metabolism. Every time I spoke of this to people, they were quick to point out that I am getting older and the metabolism is like to slow down. Of course I was still going to the gym all the time and I look strong and healthy, just overweight.

Periodically, I would start a diet. For me this means cutting out starches and sugar, basically eating only protein, healthy fats, and vegetables. I would do this for a few days, and then lose interest, or become derailed by some social event where I binged away, typically alcohol driven.

But after my doctor's visit where I was challenged to lose weight by October, I tried to think through what I know works, and where I always seem to stumble. Clearly drinking is an issue, particularly beer. I'm not certain if it's the alcohol itself that adds weight, or if while my body is processing the alcohol if everything I eat during this process is being stored as fat, or if drinking just eliminates any inhibition to over-eating, the net result is the same. I gain weight.

The trouble is that I have a wide network of family and friends, and what we do is meet at bars/restaurants and have dinner and drinks. I have three such events planned this week! Fortunately, the most consistent group is my family at work, son and cousins. My son has stopped drinking in support of his wife, who is pregnant, and often accompanies us when we go out for lunch, or dinner after work. So that takes the pressure off. One thing in my favor, is that I never drink alone, I have a house full of booze and I never touch it unless I have guests over or if SWMBO wants a glass of wine with dinner (maybe twice a year). Somehow in my mind this is what rescues me from full-on alcoholism. (Hey, we all cling to whatever justifications we have!).

I bring up the drinking issue, but I haven't solved it. Likely I will not attend the planned events this week, but that's not a real long-term solution.

As for the dieting, I know what works. Intermittant fasting, and following a ketogenic diet. But it only takes me so far. Last time I hit a wall at about 220. I read a book last week by Joseph Mercola called Fat for fuel and it supplied me with a missing piece, or at least something I've overlooked before. If you eat too much protein, more than you need, your body turns it to glucose by glycogenesis (not sure of the spelling of that). One thing I liked about the keto diet was that I could eat basically unrestricted amounts of protein foods (within caloric limits). The right amount, he suggests, is 1 gram protein for every 1 kilogram of lean body weight. So math math math, I should be eating no more than 75 grams of protein, no more than 50 grams net carbs and the rest fat to get enough calories to maintain a deficit to support weight loss. So that's essentially what I am doing. I intend to do that until it stops working. As it is I am losing 2-3 pounds a week. I'm on week three now. I still have the Ketonix meter, and I'm in moderate ketosis every time I check so that's good.

At some point I will have to "come out" to my family and friends about not wanting to drink so much. I'm not sure what my issue is with that, except that I really love sitting at bars with people I love, with a pleasant buzz and connecting. It's sort of always been my hobby. I guess I need to cultivate some alternatives.

Today I go over to my Son's house and help him and his wife put in a garden and do some other random chores. They won't be drinking, so no worries there. Should be fun!

It's a beautiful day, here on the Connecticut Shoreline. I hope is is too, wherever you are.

David

Body Fat 35.2

Comment

• This really makes me think. I am exactly the opposite - I have no trouble avoiding wine when I am out and about, but at home...after a long day at work, changing into jim jams and pouring a glass of the grape is next to heaven. Or in the late afternoon when the day is winding down...I have to figure this out.

Must calculate my protein intake. I am sure I eat too much on some days and not enough on others.

Comment

• David, I offer the following suggestions on the social drinking, passed down from my Dad. When you are in a setting that supports pounding down a few, try one of two things: 1. strictly limit yourself to 2 drinks/day. 2. Substitute. Order something like a Coca Cola or Vernors ginger ale -- In a glass with ice, they can easily pass for a mixed drink and you can nurse them for a long time. Doesn't solve the sugar issue, but does address the alcohol.

If you haven't done so, I'd refresh my understanding on the PB program, and see if you can slide back into it. I would question whether actually going keto is needed or well advised, but I also think you know your bod well enough to know what will work for you.

Best wishes for success, and keep posting.
                    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• This is really impertinent of me, but is SWMBO on board? Do you still do most of the cooking? Your youngest is growing up fast, is his menu a factor? Really none of my business, but I have struggled a bit with my new DH, who is tall and muscular and lean and gobbles carbs like there is no tomorrow and who does not understand that refined carbs make my head spin.

Comment

• Hi Rig D,

Those are great ideas! Thanks! The last time I did go out with friends, I ordered a large ice water while I waited to "decide what I wanted to drink" and then just ordered a glass of red wine in a man glass (old fashioned glass- I don't much care for stemware). That worked, I only had three. The limit of two is certainly a good idea. I'm nearly always driving, and in all the years (I'm 56) I've never been pulled over (knock on wood). So not drinking over the limit is in my best interest all around.

Hi Walrus,

SWMBO is on board, or more precisely, she is indifferent. I do all of the cooking, and all of the shopping, so I can control everything. She appreciates healthy food, and will typically eat anything I serve. I've learned to avoid things that I know she or the boy (now 11 and fully in charge of the world) don't like. While SWMBO doesn't cook, she will forage through the refrigerator and pantry to find things to eat if I'm not around. I still travel a great deal. So I always make a bunch of food on Sunday that she can have for quick meals. Boy's baseball/Tai Kwan do/Boy Scout/Piano Lessons/Homework schedule is pretty tight, and I usually don't get home until after 6:00, so they have to fend for themselves often, or eat late. Yesterday I made a huge pot of Chili, and a dozen sautéed chicken breasts and boneless thighs. For dinners I just make myself a ginormous salad and have some chicken breast or whatever.

I remember feeling really good on the Ketogenic diet, way back when. It certainly is not for everyone, or forever. But really, the difference between the Ketogenic diet and Paleo is basically elimination of all grains and starches, and limiting protein to 75 grams a day (for me), and adding in healthy fats to make up the calories. I've found I can eat pretty much all the salad and above ground vegetables that I want and still stay below 50 grams net carbs. a day.

The things I used to eat that are off the diet (for the time being) that I miss, are nuts and fruit. Both really healthy, but nuts add to the protein totals and I tend to snack on them too much. Fruit is full of sugars and I can eat a ton of it. I try to limit myself to one serving a day (berries typically). I've noticed that if I eat fruit, I immediately start craving sweet things. If I don't eat it, I rarely get cravings.

My energy levels are getting better. This morning I had a fitness class at the gym and felt pretty good. Last week I was really dragging.

My weight is right above 260, so it is working.

Body Fat 35.2

Comment

Working...
                        X