Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my weekly weigh-in this AM at the gym and I'm down to 249.0, so that is 3.5 lbs. last week, that's been pretty consistent. However, my max lift numbers have gone down somewhat. I understand that's normal. I just hope it isn't a trend. Of course 5:30 in the morning isn't the ideal time for me to be doing a lot of weight lifting, but it fits into my schedule.

It's amazing, to me, how suddenly Keto dieting has become more widely accepted. When I did it a couple of years ago (just before the brain tumor), very few people knew what it was or they believed it to be an offshoot of the Atkins diet. Now Mark Sisson is doing it and Joseph Mercola, along with the usual suspects (Jimmy Moore, Phinney and Volek etc.).

When people ask what I'm doing, and if I tell them, more often than not they at least have heard of it. There's also a lot more information available than there was two to three years ago.

It's nice. It's working!

David

Height: 5' 10"
    Highest Weight: 292
    Recent Starting Weight 287
    Current weight: 249.0
    Goal weight: 195
    Body Fat 34.5%

Comment

• Great numbers! Hey, you get points for simply being in the gym at 5:30 AM.
      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Sounds like things are going swimmingly, David! Yeah!

I have also found that more people know what Keto is when I talk about it. It's nice that it's not dismissed in an instant anymore.

Congrats on the weightloss. It seems to be humming right along.

Mine was so painfully slow. SO PAINFUL. I realize I didn't have a ton to lose, but still.... PAINFUL.

Ah well, the slower it is, the longer it stays off. Also, I realized that with the slowness and lowering my calories, I got used
        to the lower calories faster instead of feeling like I was starving to death. SO THERE'S *THAT*. Lol!

Now I'm pretty much in the maintain lane, which is super boring, but whatever.

Keep on keepin' on!

Julia

Comment

• I can't wait to be in the "Maintain Lane," Julia! But for now I'm still in the "Drop Zone." I'm not even certain what my "Ideal Weight" would be. According to current stats, at 249 lbs. and 34.5% BF, my lean body mass is 163 lbs. If I then add 15% body fat back on, I am at 187 lbs. Lower than when I did the same math at the beginning. So things have shifted somewhat. Interesting, back in my 20s (a long time ago), I did get down to 185 lbs. and still had a spare tire and love handles. I've always heard that we lose muscle mass as we age, so unless this last few years of weight lifting have added significantly to my lean mass, I'm not sure exactly what's going on.

One minor win at the gym today, I've been avoiding running because of foot pain since last fall. But today we did a few uphill (slow) runs just to see how they go now that I've lost nearly 30 lbs., and my feet felt alright! So I can slowly build up speed and distance. I'm signed up for the Warrior Dash in August, so that's a worthy and reasonable goal (it's a 5K with 12 obstacles peppered throughout).

Kind of a grey, humid day here in CT!

David
          Body Fat 34.5%

Comment

• Warrior Dash, cool! I seem to remember you did this before?
            My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Yes, I did it with Elderson in 2014 and then again (by myself) the fall after my tumor surgery as a sort of "flipping off" of that sorry chapter of my life. I missed 2016 as I'd put on weight and was too busy feeling sorry for myself. I was also beset with foot problems and lower back problems and motivation problems.

But now things are better so it's a good goal for me.

:-)
              Body Fat 34.5%

Comment

• Good luck attacking the Warrior Dash. Your observations on ideal weight are interesting. I think you are taller than me, but have a similar frame structure. I know that on the official height weight charts, I went above the ideal number sometime in my junior year in high school. I've always read that Michael Jordon, in his prime was overweight on those charts. I would use the calculated numbers you have as a guide, but I'd let my body tell me when I've reached the ideal number. I've posted before but on my journey I lost down to just under 200, but felt much better around 210 so I let some weight back on.
                The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• I'm now 5'-10," (I've lost an inch in height since my college days). And yes, even at my thinnest I never conformed to the high/weight charts. Large frame. My Doctor ultimately wants me to be under 200lbs., but we'll see.

Today was group fitness class. Did some more running and felt pretty good. My feet are sore so we're not doing too much yet. I've been plagued with cramps in my feet and calves at night, so I have to redouble my efforts to stay hydrated and replace electrolytes. I lose a lot to sweating these days during workouts.

David
                  Body Fat 34.5%

Comment

• Went out with friends last night and was able to stay on my program, both with eating and drinking. Big salads with steak, chicken or shrimp are my go to meals these days while out, and strict adherence to the two drink maximum seems to work nicely. One thing is for sure, not drinking so much has decreased my tolerance for alcohol. I was feeling the whiskey! I think I may switch to wine permanently. I do miss beer, but... sigh...

Yesterday was my rest day (no workouts) and this is my last week of afternoon training sessions. Starting next week I go basically every morning except Wednesday and Sunday, either for a 1 on 1 personal training hour, or a 1-hour fitness class.

It's early, 5:30 or 6:00 depending on the day, but I love having the evenings free! Boy made the All-Star team in Little League, so I'll get to see more games.

My weigh-in is tonight. I do not expect to have lost anything as I'm still messing around with hydration issues.

David
                    Body Fat 34.5%

Comment

• I know what you mean about the booze. The tolerance really drops off when you curtail the volume as you are doing.
                      Congrats on the LL All Star. Very fun and exciting stuff for kids and parents.
                      Keep up the good work
                      The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Working...
                      X