Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another beautiful day on the Connecticut Shoreline.

I had another great workout this morning! This is my normal "class," there are generally about a half dozen of us. We did kettlebell work, rowing, medicine ball work, and TRX suspension routines. Today was Tabata intervals, which I usually dislike, but I felt strong and energetic today, so they were fun.

I ate lunch yesterday and fasted for the rest of the day. I'm still fasting (modified) now but will have lunch today, so 23 hours fast (just black coffee and yesterday I had 8oz of the bone broth I made). I must be getting Keto-adapted, because I was in moderate Ketosis (yellow on the meter) this AM again. Plus I'm not hungry, have no headache and I'm feeling energetic and happy! It's been two weeks on the Ketogenic diet now, which is about how long it is supposed to take.

I'm also in a good mood because my son and his wife went to the obstetrician for their first pregnancy appointment. Everything looks fine and they came home with the ultrasound picture and showed it all around. My face hurts from smiling.

David :-)
    Height: 5' 10"
    Highest Weight: 292
    Recent Starting Weight 287
    Current weight: 244.0
    Goal weight: 195
    Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Wow, Happy Friday!
      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Thanks W!

Yesterday evening was a bit weird, I got way too over hydrated and felt crappy. I've been sloppy about keeping my hydration level up. I guess the old Irish adage, "I'll drink when I'm dry" isn't quite precise enough. I'll need to pay more attention to it. When I went to bed last night I drank a bunch of water with a bit of Himalayan sea salt and some of the magic mineral drops Mark wrote about on his blog several years back. I'll have to find a big pitcher to mix up a days worth and drink it.

My bone broth came out very well, so I'll have a cup of that along with everything else.

Another beautiful day!

David
        Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• I have those magic drops, keep forgetting to use them! I'm terrible about drinking enough. I just don't get thirsty. When I am at work, I have people reminding me to visit the water cooler, but at home my water canteen sits silently waiting for me....

Comment

• Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
            Another beautiful day on the Connecticut Shoreline.

I had another great workout this morning! This is my normal "class," there are generally about a half dozen of us. We did kettlebell work, rowing, medicine ball work, and TRX suspension routines. Today was Tabata intervals, which I usually dislike, but I felt strong and energetic today, so they were fun.

I ate lunch yesterday and fasted for the rest of the day. I'm still fasting (modified) now but will have lunch today, so 23 hours fast (just black coffee and yesterday I had 8oz of the bone broth I made). I must be getting Keto-adapted, because I was in moderate Ketosis (yellow on the meter) this AM again. Plus I'm not hungry, have no headache and I'm feeling energetic and happy! It's been two weeks on the Ketogenic diet now, which is about how long it is supposed to take.

I'm also in a good mood because my son and his wife went to the obstetrician for their first pregnancy appointment. Everything looks fine and they came home with the ultrasound picture and showed it all around. My face hurts from smiling.

David :-)
            What an excellent day in so many respects. Keep on smiling
            Annie Ups the Ante
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• I spent the weekend taking it somewhat easy and rehydrating. Lots of water with sea salt, and minerals and bone broth. I'm feeling much better now. No exercise beyond walking until this morning. My workout was okay today, I didn't have tons of energy, but I was alright. (no dizziness).

My weight is up a bit, due to hydration levels, but is on it's way down again. Now I am trying to implement strategies to remember to drink water throughout the day.

One of the issues was that I have been trying to cut down on coffee. Even though caffeine is a diuretic and all, drinking 60oz of coffee a day (!) does deliver a bunch of water with it that I didn't fully replace. A contributing factor, to be sure. Also on a Ketogenic diet you expel water and salt as you adapt to fat. I wasn't compensating for that and the combination was enough to turn the lights out.

But now I'm better :-)

David
              Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Glad to hear you're feeling better, David.

Even 6 months in I have to remember to liberally salt everything, take my magnesium and potassium
                supplements at night, and I also have some of those sugar free packets of Propel here at work that
                I can slip into a bottle of water if I start feeling weird. I've also bought some low-salt or nu-salt or whatever
                it's called, that is half potassium and half sodium. Another good way to get both and it doesn't taste any
                different to me than regular salt.

I have a little water trick that I use that may benefit you if you're out and about in the car much, but what I do
                is that I have a 32oz water bottle that I fill up before I leave and bring it in the car with me. After I'm done running
                errands, or I'm coming home from work, I make a game out of chugging the entire thing before I roll into my driveway.

Then of course you're home and can spend the rest of the night in the bathroom! HA! Okay, well, it's not really that
                bad.

When I wake up in the morning, I drink a bottle of water 16.9oz FIRST THING before I start getting ready for work
                so I can get that first dose of water in. Now it's a habit and I do it on autopilot.

I also bought a 40oz Contigo water bottle from TJMaxx for only 7.99 that is super great! No spill and doesn't leak!

Welp, sorry for spamming your journal with stuff about me, me, me. Just wanted to offer up some water tricks!

Julia

Comment

• Hi Julia, No problem at all! Thanks for the tips and tricks. I do drive a great deal so the chugging challenge is a great idea. I've been thinking of trying to dissolve salt (a day's worth) in fresh lemon juice and adding the mineral drops (a day's worth) and put the concoction into a squeeze bottle so I can add a bit to tap water or bottled water throughout the day. I'll look up Propel and see if that might be a good resource for me. Thanks again!

Another good early AM workout! My energy level still isn't quite up to par, but it is getting better. I did drink about 12 oz. of water 1/2-hour before training. I think it helped.

This AM I was solidly in the yellow zone of ketosis and my weight has now dropped under what it was when dehydrated. So the momentary spike in rehydration weight is resolved. I feel good!

David

Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Tonight is my weigh-in at the gym. I'm curious to know what my "official weight" will be. Last week's weight was while I was seriously dehydrated, so that might offset any fat loss. At home I'm under that weight, but that is first thing in the morning, post-pee weight, and the scales likely differ somewhat.

Yesterday was a great day on the diet! I woke up feeling a bit nauseated, so I ate a bit and it got a bit better. By the end of the day I felt fine. Don't know what that was all about... But I feel fine now.

It's a beautiful day here on the Connecticut Shoreline, still not warm (mid 60s) but sparkling clear and sunny.

David
                    Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Busy, busy, busy! Middlest is down for the weekend, he was accepted to Law School and is moving back to CT from Boston in the fall. So he came down to go to Law School orientation, to look for apartments, etc.,etc. In Boston, he's been tending bar at a Wine Bar/Tappas place for three years since graduating from UMass. So, he's ready. He brought me a nice bottle of wine. It was delicious! I could only have one 5 oz glass, but he and SWMBO obliged and dispatched the rest, lest it prove a temptation.

My weigh-in went well, down 2lbs from last week, despite the hiccup in hydration levels. This mornings group class was brutal, lots of cardio exercises, little rest between sets. I was as sweaty and as exhausted as I've ever been by the end of it. But my energy level was fine, which I interpret as meaning that I am becoming fat adapted. TrainerCliff even noticed! So good. It's taken at least three weeks.

Interesting about my blood pressure. Pryor to last weekend's light-headed, near fainting dehydration episode, I was getting BP readings of 110/68 (lowest) to 125/75 (highest). Since rehydrating, besides increasing my weight a couple of pounds, my BP has gone up a bit. I've had readings from 120/70 to 135/80! I mentioned this to my Doctor and he was not concerned. Apparently blood volume increases or decreases along with hydration levels and BP raises and lowers in response. Fully hydrated levels over 140/90 are of concern, but not lower. So good! My BP medication is working well and we are keeping a close watch on it as I lose weight.

Now I walk a couple miles to watch Boy play baseball. It's a warm day out today. Tis the season of sweat!

David
                      Last edited by DCarr10760; 06-10-2017, 07:03 AM.
                      Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• It was a nice weekend. Vigorous workouts and several long walks. My feet still hurt a lot when I walk more than about a mile. I'm beginning to suspect my sneakers. They are good quality New Balance shoes, but they've never been really comfortable, but since I typically only wear them for weight lifting and fitness classes, and not extended walking or (gasp) running, I've not minded terribly. But now that I am fit enough to walk for miles at a time and start to (gasp!) run a little, I think I need to find some that really fit. Trouble is that I am 12-1/2 EE with a low arch and a high instep. So fitting me into a shoe is easier said than done. Typically I'll buy several pairs online, and if they don't fit, Elderson and Middlest fight for them. (Their feet are nearly the same size as mine, though their insteps are not so high).

Eating went well over the weekend and drinking was good (one glass of wine or straight liquor per day, no more). I haven't weighed myself, but I look thinner and my size 40 pants are fitting better and better (I started with size 44 pants being a wee-bit too tight).

I'm also fitting nicely into XL shirts, not XXL. I usually don't go below XL because my shoulders and chest are too big for Larges.

It's funny, but as I get thinner, I get to wear my "nicer clothes." Having been a Yo-Yo dieter most of my adult life, the pattern is the same. When I am in my "thin" clothes, I tend to buy nice things, fashionable and well-made. When I gain weight, I buy crap off the rack from the local mall, cheap and comfortable and since I regard this weight gain as temporary, expendable. But often I continue to get fatter and at that point the big fat clothes, suits in particular do not fit unless I but top quality tailored clothes.

So I have nice fat, fat, clothes which I rarely wear, nice skinny clothes, that I rarely fit into and a bunch of mid-range clothes that are crap that I'm in 80% of my life! But now I'm beginning to fit into some of the better things. So Yay!

David
                        Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Congrats on fitting better into the smaller size clothes. IMO, that is a huge morale booster and gives you a great motivation for continuing. I have some XXL T shirts from my blimp days, they now fit like tents. I still have a beautiful Hart, Schaffner, Marx suit I bought in the early 70's, hugely expensive medium gray pin stripe. I wore it a couple of times and then gained weight and couldn't fit in it. I still have fantasies of pulling it out and wearing it. I'd have to get down to a waist size of 34 or so to do so, but still...

On the shoes front: Here locally we have an endurance sports store, the guy who owns/runs it is/was a long distance runner and is truly great at helping you find the right shoe with the right fit for the activity you are interested in, even just walking. He's also very good at looking at your current shoes, have you walk and or jog around in front of him, evaluating your walking style and then diagnosing what's good/bad about the shoes. His prices are never discounted, but I highly value his expertise. I'd suggest you look for a similar shop in your area. You might consider trying to go with a minimalist shoe, maybe even a Vibram 5 finger. I know for me that when I'm not running around barefoot, my Vibrams are a nice way to go. You would have to slowly ease into wearing them for walking any distance, it would take your feet a good while to adjust and strengthen.
                          The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• Thanks Rig,

We have a shop in town that is for runners, so I will check them out. I don't mind spending the money if I can get shoes that really fit. I usually wind up paying top dollar anyway for all types of shoes, because of my oddball size.

I have a beautiful suit that I hopefully will never wear again (it's soooo big!). I also have a couple of suits that are nice, Pronto Uomo, I think, that I'll need to lose another 25lbs to get in. I have no suits for the weight I am now. I suppose if I had to go to somewhere formal I'd rent a tux. Cheaper than a cheap suit that I'd never use again, I think.

I tried the minimal shoes a couple of years ago. I liked them fine, but developed plantar fasciitis in both feet. I don't know if it was related at all, and likely if it was, I pushed too hard and caused it myself. But I do like the feel of them. I need to give them another try, with a side order of patience.

David
                            Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• My extremely humble opinion, and probably more personal experience, it can take years to become comfortable in minimalist shoes and it may never happen. Took me years!

Comment

• Glad you're home and sorry about feeling under the weather. Yes, I agree about the minimalist shoes. I've tried the New Balance Minimus, and they were okay, but they seem to have really scaled back their offerings. Very few manufacturers make sneakers for wide feet, so I'm limited in what I have to choose from. I couldn't even get my feet into Vibram Five-Fingers. When I started using the NB Minimus, I was too heavy and didn't take time to transition, so had all sorts of trouble. At this point all I really want is a pair of sneakers that really fits, isn't as heavy as lead weights, and doesn't look like space ships.
                                Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

Working...
                                X