Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG OMG OMG OMG David! I have been thinking of you often and wondering how you are doing. Best wishes for your continued recovery and thanks so much for stopping in and telling your story. {{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Thank goodness you were strong when you went in. Take the time needed to heal, slow down, enjoy time with SWMBO and Boy. Sending thoughts and prayers.
      Female 55
      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Good grief, David. So glad you came thru all of that. Wow!!!!
        Take time to recover. Deep breathing. Prayers and more prayers.
        Huge hugs, sweet man.

Comment

• What an ordeal! Hopefully, that is the end to it. So glad you are back on your feet and with us. Knit up that ravelled sleeve, indeed! All good thoughts, David.

Comment

• Been thinking of you. Very happy you are back with the living!
            Congratulations on surviving, it sounds like it was truly touch n go for a while there.
            What a tough ride you've had. Indeed, take plenty of time to rest and recuperate, the time is well deserved and needed. You have a whole new life chapter opening up, be strong when you head back into the "real world"
            The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words and thoughts folks! I appreciate them.

I was fortunate to be so strong going into surgery. Afterward, I didn't need any help getting up, or positioning myself in bed, or anything really. Which was a relief. My surgeon had a hard time accepting that I had a blood clot, because I was so active. I set goals for myself each day in terms of walking, once I was cleared to do so. In fact, the blood clot is likely to have been old, I had a motorcycle accident years ago involving the same leg and other issues as well. But since it was discovered, they had to treat it.

Food was an issue. After the initial operation, I wasn't at all hungry for the first few days, in fact the thought of eating nauseated me. Eventually my appetite did come back but the food choices were not so good and though I tried to maintain a primal diet, it was difficult.

At Yale New Haven Hospital, the food service is set up like a restaurant, with a menu that you may order from. The menu has a fairly full complement of breakfast, lunch and dinner items, any of which can be ordered at any time. It is really like a diner menu. If you were polite when ordering, they would often make custom things for you, as long as they had the ingredients. The quality of the food was so-so, but eventually I learned what to order that was both palatable and primal (in broad strokes). I had a lot of omelets and salads with different "meats."

The antibiotics pretty well destroyed my micro-biome. I imagine my lower GI tract looks like the empty, rusted-out hull of a old tanker. Since returning home I have been eating yogurt, kefir and sauerkraut with each meal to try to rebuild it.

My appetite hasn't yet returned. I lost quite a bit of weight, though I do not recommend this as a weight loss method. People who have seen me since the operation tell me I look 10 years older... Lol!

But each day I feel a bit better, more rested. Today I may venture out and take a short walk to the beach, a block from my house.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

David
              Height: 5' 10"
              Highest Weight: 292
              Recent Starting Weight 287
              Current weight: 244.0
              Goal weight: 195
              Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Great attitude, as usual.
                Female 55

Comment

• You are a strong and brave man! What an ordeal you have endured! And still - the positive outlook and plans for improving and regaining. You are an inspiration.
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• You are amazing, David, truly amazing!
                    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Oh heavens above!! What an ordeal David!! SO glad you are still with us and recovering. I was a little concerned at not hearing how you were doing for so long - now we know why! Yikes! May the recovery go smoothly now and no more set backs or complications. Thank goodness you were in good shape on the way in. Take it really easy and enjoy eating good food again!
                      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                      Primal low: 186 lbs
                      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• So, so happy to read of your recovery going nicely.
                        It's amazing the benefits of getting as healthy as possible.
                        For just such events as yours.. Big hug

Comment

• Thank you all for the kind words. I've had doctor appointment after doctor appointment in the past couple of days. The doctors want me to refrain from all exercise except walking for a full month, which is a disappointment, but I will deal with it. Since coming home I've had bad headaches, dizziness, nausea (at times) and have been very, very, tired. I mentioned this to the Doctor and she reminded me that while in the hospital I was on large doses of narcotics for pain, now I am tapering off the drugs and am going through narcotic withdrawal! Lol! Great! there's an experience I did not ever expect to have...

On the sorta plus side, I lost 30 lbs! 30 lbs! To be fair, my weight had crept up quite a bit over the holidays and in the months leading up to surgery. I was in the upper 240s when I went to the hospital. Now I'm 218! I suspect that what I lost was 10 lbs of fat and 20lbs of muscle, and I wish I didn't lose the muscle, but it kept me alive and relatively strong. I assumed I had lost some weight, just nowhere near what I lost.

But each day I feel a bit better, I can walk with greater ease. Soon I'll talk to trainer Cliff to work on a strategy to get back to training, maybe I'll start with some gentle yoga and stretching, along with the walking. The week after the first surgery, before all of the complications hit the fan, I signed up for the warrior dash in October, if all goes well I should be able to run it. I won't do it if it will harm me in any way, but I like to have goals, so we'll see!

David
                          Height: 5' 10"
                          Highest Weight: 292
                          Recent Starting Weight 287
                          Current weight: 244.0
                          Goal weight: 195
                          Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Welcome back! What a huge ordeal. And you sound so upbeat - you're amazing!
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Good stuff David. Coming off the drugs and rebuilding your physical capabilities will no doubt take a good deal of time. Press forward good sir. Keep the positive attitude. I hope you will feel good enough for the Warrior Dash, that will be a huge accomplishment if you are able to do it.
                              The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• Lots of water, meditation, hugs from family, naps, and long walks - I prescribe these to help you heal.
                                Female 55

Comment

Working...
                                X