Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on the same page there - this winter with my change to 2 day shifts I go to work in pitch dark and come home in pitch dark. That is really getting to me. I am finding myself looking for excuses to run errands during the daylight hours - I never actually do it, but I dream about getting out in the sunshine. I shouldn't complain, it is only two days a week, but I don't like it.

Glad Kitty is settling in, hearing about her made my holiday!

Have you ever tried those light boxes? I was looking into them but never did any more than read some Amazon reviews. I go outside as much as I can stand with my arms and face exposed, but I can't do that very much. I hope you enjoy the California trip and I hope you get lots of sun while you are there, even with working. Is a holiday possible? I keep promising myself I will schedule a holiday for February and I never do it!
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Hey David, be sure to take a multi vitamin every morning, add an extra B-12 and Vit. D.
      The light therapy lamps work great, and, of course, as much walking (treadmill) as you can do.
      I read where zinc works, probiotics, turmeric, too. Best to you!

Comment

• That sounds so worrying, David. No suggestions, just thinking of you. Hoping for an early spring up north.

Comment

• David, how are you? This is a bit overwhelming, isn't it? Remind yourself this shall pass.

Comment

• Hope you are warm and happy!!

Comment

• So much to report. First sorry I've been so absent. So after I got back from California I still didn't feel better so I put my big boy pants on and went to a Doctor in town that several folks recommended. She of course freaked out about the high blood pressure and put me straight on meds, which I reluctantly took because the headaches were getting worse and I was beginning to lose peripheral vision.

I had to do a million tests over several weeks and everything seemed okay, no issues with my retinas, no heart problems, kidney function was good, blood work came back fine. This Paleo stuff really does work. But the headaches and eye problems persisted and finally, she ordered an MRI.

It came out abnormal. Turns out I have a brain tumor. :-(

The good news is that it isn't cancer, it's benign. It's operable and I'll be having it out on May 26th. It's called a Cranial Pharangeoma. It's sort of between where my optic nerves pass near my pituitary gland. It's grown large enough that it has begun pressing on the optic nerve, hence the visual issues. The headaches are likely caused by eye strain rather than the tumor directly.

For a guy who hates going to doctors, I've been to a bunch since my last post. It's crazy. The surgery will be done at Yale and SWMBO knows the neurosurgeon (former head of the department) and apparently he is brilliant and has done lots of these operations.

I'm okay about it, mostly. My feelings run the gamut between confidence and panic like you might imagine. The real issue is how much damage to the pituitary gland is there already and what might result from surgery. If there is a lot, then I'll need hormone replacement therapy for a while, maybe the rest of my life. If there is little or none, I go on mostly unscathed.

So I've been preoccupied. I still go to the gym as always, that's been a big comfort to me. I've been on steroids since the diagnosis, and I've made nice gains in all of my lifts ;-)

My weight is back up a little 240-ish. Probably due to depression. I'm looking forward to this being behind me. I'll be in the hospital for at least a week following surgery and haven't yet heard what really happens after that, how long recovery will be.

Because of where the tumor is, they can do the surgery through my nostril. Which is better than doing it through the skull. Ick!

So anyway, I wanted to tell you all.

I'll check in from time to time. I hope you all are doing well!

David
              Height: 5' 10"
              Starting Weight: 292
              Starting Primal Weight: 275
              Current weight: 224
              Goal weight: 172
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• David! I just stopped breathing when I read your post! Thanks for telling us, I have been wondering how you are doing. It will go beautifully and you will have a funny story to tell your grandchildren. And pamper yourself a bit

Comment

• Oh, me too. I will keep you in my prayers.
                  Biggest hug ever

Comment

• I will be praying and so will my students. I know you will come out of surgery better than ever.
                    Female 55
                    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Thanks friends! <3

The whole thing seems so strange to me. I really feel like I will be okay. i am keeping busy, mostly with work. This is my busy trade show time, in fact I leave for Atlanta GA in a couple of hours.

SWMBO is frightened, she doesn't say it, but I can tell. Boy only knows that I need to go to the hospital for an operation to help with my headaches. He takes his cues from us, we're okay so he's okay.

But like I said, today I go to Atlanta, then Boston, busy, busy. It is good, it keeps my mind occupied, which helps with the headaches and keeps me from wandering too far down dark paths in my thoughts.

I can't believe it is still so cold! In my magical thinking, I do not think it will really be warm until this thing is dealt with!
                      Last edited by DCarr10760; 04-26-2015, 04:02 AM.
                      Height: 5' 10"
                      Starting Weight: 292
                      Starting Primal Weight: 275
                      Current weight: 224
                      Goal weight: 172
                      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• So that's why it is still so cold I'm still lighting my woodstove every morning!

Comment

• Like the others, I will offer my prayers for your successful surgery, and a quick recovery. Thankfully it is benign. No doubt this is putting a lot of extra stress on you and I hope you can manage that effectively. It does sound like you will be in excellent hands for the operation.
                          Best fortune to you and your family in the next couple of months.
                          The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• Holy crap; hope all goes well, and that your recovery is swift and complete!

Comment

• Prayers for skillful hands and a quick and easy recovery.
                              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion
                              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• David, I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I hope things go smoothly and you have a swift recovery.

My father had a benign brain tumor removed through his nostril before I was born (I'm 58). He lived a very normal life after that surgery.

Have they run tests to check pituitary function?

Comment

Working...
                                X