Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still in moderate Ketosis :-). It's been over three weeks, and I believe I am now nearly fully Keto-adapted. The books all say it takes about three weeks. We ran another obstacle course yesterday, and it was identical to the one I ran two weeks ago, I trimmed nearly a minute off of my time! I wasn't nearly as breathless as I was last time and could easily have done it again.

It is the best I have felt doing an obstacle course all fall! And because of scheduling around the holiday, I did my normal workout yesterday morning before running the course at night? I had plenty of energy despite eating only a light lunch and no breakfast. I didn't eat until I was done at 8:30 and even then I wasn't ravenous. Just hungry in a healthy way. I had 6 ounces of broiled Salmon, and curried sautéed vegetables.

Also yesterday my side of beef came. It just about fills my freezer! at my request they included marrow bones, soup bones, fat and organ meats. When all was said and done it was about 180lbs, at just over $6.00/lb. Not bad when you consider all of the different cuts I got. It feels like a good deal to me. Plus the woman who runs the farm is a really nice person and it makes me happy to support her and her family.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• The weekend was fun! After training I went over to one of my cousins, (who just bought a house) for a painting party. Lots more partying than painting got done. I ate according to plan, my only digression was a couple of flavored vodka soaked gummy worms fed to me by my cousin's very cute friend...

I actually drank very little, just two glasses of whiskey. Somebody brought pizza which I ignored entirely. My cousin's mom (also my cousin) made a rib roast which I attacked caveman style. I had a nibble of Yorkshire Pudding and that was about it. It was a late night and the next day around noon I checked to see if I was still in ketosis, and I was! The lowest level on the scale, but still there!

I decided to fast Sunday, that is a strategy that I will likely adopt after "feasts" So, except for black coffee and a cup of bone broth at each "mealtime" I've eaten nothing since. I'll have my first meal tonight. It will be well over 36 hours. Oddly enough I am not really hungry. This morning, when I checked the Ketonix meter, I was solidly into Ketosis.

Because I was out so late Saturday (well into Sunday), I am short on sleep. Boy got up bright and early Sunday morning and I got up to make him pancakes, like I always do. SWMBO got up and gave me my list of stuff for me to do (it's always a long list on nights when I am out late).

I finally fell into bed last night at about 9:00 and slept hard until 5:00 this morning. I'm still tired, but functional and not hungry.

I'm looking forward to the Holiday!
      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Rib roast....mmmmm...

I can make a very passable Yorkshire pudding from the paleo bread recipe I have - the tapioca flour provides some of the same gumminess. Of course I haven't had real Yorkshire pudding in years, although I used to make it regularly.

Years ago I went to Lawry's Prime Rib with then-husband. He was weird about food. When the Yorkshire pudding came, he kind of freaked and asked that it be removed from the table. I, of course, put a quick end to that idea. Somehow I got him to try it and there was no going back - he asked for two more puddings. Then I made it all the time for him. We used to make sandwiches with the leftovers. (No wonder I was kinda chunky )
        My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• TW- I love Yorkshire Pudding. I really only had it with that side of the family, my mother rarely made roast beef (she preferred pork). But this was really good! It The pudding would be great with sandwiches (if I still ate those). Sigh...

So this week at the gym is different because of the holiday. I had training last night, then first thing this morning and then tomorrow night, then off until next Tuesday. I'm looking forward to the break to have some time to rest and sleep.

When we do workouts on successive days, he breaks it down-lower body/upper-body sometimes, and other times it's pushing exercises and pulling exercises. Last night we did squats. Lots of them. We also did deadlifts with a "hex bar" it's like an Olympic bar but the middle portion is in the shape of a hexagon so the weight is distributed directly in line with your middle. You hold it while standing in the middle of it. It has raised handles, but I turn it over to use the lower handles so I can go deeper.

They call it a deadlift, but the movement seems more like a squat to me, at least for the lower body. I managed easily enough to lift 350lbs, so I tried 400lbs, and couldn't do it. I'd get it off the ground and my body yelled NO! Lol. So there's a new goal for me.

So this is the thing. It was a real heavy workout. We were doing squats, regular bar squats, dumbbell squats, box squats (where you sit down with the bar onto a stack of plyo-boxes, rest a second and then stand up with the weight). and then the hex bar deadlifts. We were going to max weight on all of these and I was nearing or exceeding my own records on them all.

The interesting thing, was that I was in an entirely fasted state! I hadn't eaten anything but bone broth and black coffee since Saturday night! I had forgotten the training session was rescheduled, and given my fasting, had a mind to cancel it, figuring I'd be as week as a kitten. But I was really okay, so I went. So at least for me this one time, the ketosis was providing enough fuel to lift weight.

I was pretty tired when I got home and ate some chicken, and sautéed greens (kale, and chard mostly) with lots of butter and evoo, then went right to bed, it wasn't much food. I woke up this morning and did an upper body workout and felt fine too!

I'm just a bit sore now, but the DOMS usually hits me 24 hrs. after lifting, so we'll see how I am tonight.

But I'm liking the Ketosis.
          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• The pudding would be great with sandwiches (if I still ate those). Sigh..
            For me, Sliced cheese = bread. Requires a slightly more delicate eating style, but still passable. Bread's only contribution is to hold it all together anyway. Sometimes, lettuce = bread. Never give up the sammidge!
            The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• Well I survived another holiday! This year we went out to a nice restaurant for the big meal. It was actually ideal for me, because I could order what I wanted and it was easier to stay on the Ketogenic diet, I actually got Prime Rib and passed on the potatoes and got a ton of vegetables instead. We all had a really nice time, our table overlooked a waterfall, in a beautiful spot. There was a dusting of snow on the ground, it was lovely and picturesque.

After dinner we went back to the Outlaw's house and had dessert. I made two pies, apple and pumpkin. I had thought about trying to make a Paleo-friendly pie, but I didn't. I did have a tiny piece of each, they were yummy.

The next day we got our Christmas tree and I roasted a small turkey and we had some. I made bone broth with the carcass and it is outstanding! SWMBO really likes turkey soup, so we will be having that for some days.

Haven't been to the gym all week. I'm beginning to feel like I need to lift something heavy soon!
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Great holiday! Isn't it funny how nice restaurants are easier to eat properly - says a lot about our food.

I love turkey soup also! It's the best. I've eaten almost all of the turkey I cooked the weekend before last. And I'm not sick of it yet. I'm having the last of it today. I probably will get another while they are plentiful and cheap - maybe I can even score a fancy-schmancy organic one at a reasonable price.

Comment

• For as long as I have known SWMBO, I have been buying Organic Turkeys for their Thanksgiving from a local organic farm. Usually they are 5 bucks a pound or more. So it typically was over a hundred bucks. This year I didn't buy one, but I was at the grocery store and picked up a Butterball 10lb turkey and it really wasn't as good! I happened to be at the grocery store Friday morning and they had reduced the prices of the Butterballs and other conventionally raised birds to 29 cents a pound! I considered getting another one, but didn't.

Last year my Nephew raised turkeys, not strictly organically, but largely pastured and with respect and care. I was hoping he would do it again, but he didn't.

I've about had my fill of turkey anyway, though the soup is really good. I actually made two batches, one with potatoes, carrots and other vegetables that I am avoiding and one with kale. Yum!
                  Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I like to make a big batch and punch it up as I go along - coconut milk, different vegetables, herbs, etc. There is something about turkey that is just good in soup - better than chicken IMHO.

I understand it is quite expensive to raise turkeys organically and I have great respect for doing so, but yikes on the price! Just out of my reach. But the local stores carry them and they get marked down, so there is hope.

Also, the soup actually tastes better after it is frozen. One of those things! Yes, I love turkey soup.

Comment

• I like turkey as much as chicken I think. Chicken just seems more manageable to me. I've yet to find a source for good, organic poultry (of any kind) for a reasonable price.

I got into quite a discussion with my nephew about it and he worked out the numbers for me. How any farm can raise turkeys organically or even just free range (with conventional feeds) for less than $3.00 - $4.00/lb. is beyond me. Then they have to be processed, stored, packaged and transported. Then the retailer has to make some money on them. The economics just don't work out well, compared with the huge factory farms.

It's the same with Chickens, but the time to market is way less. Still, real free-range chickens are expensive, so I no longer think of them as "cheap" protein sources.

Interestingly, the Ketogenic diet is really not a high protein diet, (80 - 100 grams/day) so I'm not eating as much as I was, which helps.
                      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• A while back Doc outlined his costs of raising turkeys - it was an eye-opener. Even at $100 to the consumer, there is very little profit. And when you consider how easily your entire flock, or even part of it, could be wiped out, it's just not practical unless you have a built-in high end market who will buy them no matter the cost, or as a favor to family and friends.

Comment

• We are so blessed to have a source of organic poultry here that isn't too expensive. Our organic free range turkey was $2.59 lb this year,
                          and the chicken is even cheaper! Happy Holidays, David!

Comment

• Wow that's a great price Katooshie! I think the trick is to find a farmer that has lots of land and can grow his or her own feed.

I live in a very densely populated state and one where the per-capita income is very high. We have a store here in town, sort of a boutique butcher shop, where grass-fed New York strip steaks sell for $29.95 a pound. I asked once if they ever sell any, the guy said yes!

So some of the prices here are what the market will bear. You are indeed blessed to have a conscientious supplier! Enjoy!
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Wow, that is a great price, even though I live in the land of small organic family farms I've never seen anything approaching that price. Enjoy!

Comment

• First day back at the gym after a week break... It was good to get moving again, heavy squats with chains... ugh! the rest was core work and stretching between sets. I was stiff and now I'm sore! But it was good. I bet I'll be sore tomorrow!

SWMBO will likely finish up all of the Turkey Soup today, so I get to try some of my beef consignment! Yay!
                                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

Working...
                                X