Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent journal! I will be following your progress with pleasure! Congratulations on your amazing weight loss.
    I'm just starting my Paleo journey, and it's great to have people like you who are just a bit ahead of me to inspire me!
    Katooshie
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread111293.html

Comment

• Well, I am in awe of the bad-ass squats. My thighs hurt just thinking about it.

I took a body conditioning class at the gym - not terribly challenging, but worthwhile. It was fun. Although I am not a competitive person, I couldn't help thinking it would be fun to do a timed challenge like Trainer Cliff does.
      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Yes, Mr. Anthony, these were the real deal! Thanks! Last time we did squats he put a low bucket upside down and I had to tap my butt on the top of the bucket for the rep to count. (It was only 135lbs). It really gave me a sense of how low to go. He made sure I had that down, as well as some fine points of technique, before we went heavy.

I'm really enjoying the lifting. I know it is probably a bit more lifting heavy things than is "Primal" but I've always been big (and strong and FAT). Since I'm losing weight, I still want to be strong and big-ish (but in a good way). So lifting weights makes me strong and that makes me happy :-)
        Height: 5' 10"
        Starting Weight: 292
        Starting Primal Weight: 275
        Current weight: 224
        Goal weight: 172
        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Hi TW!

Yeah the whole timed thing was what started the squat-form discussions. The couple who always win the competitions had really bad form squatting. So TrainerCliff wouldn't count the reps that weren't low enough. We only had 5 reps of a light weight to do as that "obstacle" but they each did way more (each circuit) because they weren't anywhere near parallel, much less beyond.

I suggested we drag out the bucket and chalk the top and anybody without a hamprint on their backside got docked 30 seconds!
          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Hi Katooshie!

Thanks for stopping by my journal and welcome! I've read through yours and it sounds like you're off to a great start!

David
            Last edited by DCarr10760; 11-19-2014, 07:15 AM.
            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
              So lifting weights makes me strong and that makes me happy :-)
              This sentence gives me the warm fuzzies.

I lift heavy M/W/F, dang near every single week. Recovery has gotten way more important as I've gotten...older...but being strong is fantastic. I'm befuddled when someone says they don't want to be strong. Does not compute.

Comment

• I share DCarr's body type (big chunky) and resonate with the always big, strong,and fat idea. As the belly and weight go down, he's going to feel more and more like a beast, and the weight training will surely fuel that. Squats hit both strength and flexibility, and I think us big chunky types usually have flexibility as a problem area. As I've moved past age 65, it has become more of an issue, the legs in particular need attention regularly to avoid progressively tightening up. I think he's got a winner with trainer Cliff, this guy seems to have a lot of good ideas to provide good workouts and keep them varied and entertaining, and fun.
                The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• Hmmm....225...that's more than 1.5 of me. Rather sobering statistic.

Comment

• TrainerCliff sounds awesome!!
                    Way to go, D.

Comment

• I want to be strong and happy! I want to lift weights! I need a trainer.

Comment

• Trainer Cliff really is awesome, I really lucked out finding him. He got involved in personal training right from College but before opening his own gym, he worked a long time in a group physical therapy practice, so he really understands the issues with older folks training and how to safely rehab injuries.

Being an engineer, I am interested in why things work. He starts me on some routine or other and from time to time I question him about the reason for doing this or that, and without fail he has some well-reasoned answer.

Most of his clientele are older (40 - 60), and a fairly large percentage of them are people who were injured (often at Cr*ssfit).
                        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Luck you to find an excellent trainer! Looking forward to hearing how things go for you!

Comment

• So I just passed the 1000 post mark! :-)

I haven't done this in a long time, but here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast:

Coffee with cream
                            1 c. Bone broth

Lunch:

4 ounces leftover pot-roasted beef
                            2 cups salad greens
                            1/2 cup sauerkraut (naturally fermented) bought from the health food store.
                            2T EVO
                            2T ACV

Snack:

1 oz. Cashews
                            1 oz. Macadamia Nuts

Dinner:

6 oz. Hamburger
                            1 oz. Provolone Cheese
                            2 cups salad greens
                            1/2 c. Sauerkraut
                            2T EVOO
                            2T ACV

Totals:

Calories: 1943
                            Fat (g): 164.5 74%
                            Carbs (g): 27.4 5%
                            Protein (g): 95.6 20%

SO those numbers are right on target, though light on both calories and fat, but okay.

I'm in mild ketosis, according to my nifty Ketonix breath analyzer :-)
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Delicious sounding food today, David! Where did you get your ketosis breath analyzer?

Comment

• You can buy it through Amazon, it's called the Ketonix, there are two models, the "standard" and the "sport." I got the standard, which doesn't have the measurement range of the sport, but seemed enough for Nutritional Ketosis.

You can also get it direct from the manufacturer, I think.

https://www.ketonix.com/

So far I really like it!

DC
                                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

Working...
                                X