Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do that with myself? Take off time for trivia, I mean. Of course I would still be slow!
    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• So a minor (but significant) change in direction. I've been frustrated in that I seem to be in a significant plateau and I haven't been able to break below 230lbs. Formally it's been three weeks, but in fact it's been a year. In the past month I've tried several changes to my diet, without any success. I have been keeping a food journal 3 - 4 days a week for several months now and in reviewing these, I can see that my carb counts have gone up consistently. Fat has remained consistent (now that I determined that I was under accounting for cream and nuts), and my protein is pretty high (often 200 grams a day or more).

One thing I haven't tried is a ketogenic diet (it's how I lost the first 40lbs from the 290s to the 250s, just before I started Paleo). So I was listening to the Living la vita Lowcarb Podcast the other day, I had stumbled across this podcast awhile back because Mark Sisson was on as a guest (several times) and the host wrote a book called "Keto Clarity," which I downloaded and read. So I will give that a try.

One of the things that I didn't get from my last foray into ketogenic diets is that eating an excess of protein is problematic in that any protein that the body doesn't use is converted to sugar, which can throw you out of ketosis. The other thing is that the keto strips can stop working after awhile, and show negative results even though you are still in ketosis. This jibes with my experience, where I kept dropping out of ketosis despite not changing anything in my diet.

So I'm on day 4, still feeling a little carb-flue-y, but better today. I'm still keeping to 2000 calories +/- but keeping my carb grams well under 50 and my protein under 100 grams. This leaves fat as the bulk of my calories.

Weigh-in is Saturday!
      Height: 5' 10"
      Starting Weight: 292
      Starting Primal Weight: 275
      Current weight: 224
      Goal weight: 172
      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• The keto diet is going very well so far, occasional hunger pangs and carb cravings, but pretty manageable really, and each day is easier than the day before. My carb flu headache is mostly gone and my energy level is getting better. I worked out yesterday morning and bonked my lifts, struggling to lift what I normally do. Hopefully that will improve as it's promised to.

I'm thinking about getting a breath meter for ketosis, partly because it would be nice to know and mostly because I am a tech geek. :-)

One thing that I am certain of is that the initial water-loss is happening, based on the number of times a night that I am visiting the bathroom. That is supposed to regulate itself eventually and I will be glad for it as it is interfering with sleep. I am drinking way more water, which is also contributing. I'm trying to drink a 3 liters of water a day, which includes some as coffee.

I will say that my sleep was better these past couple of nights than it was the first few nights. I have been trying to focus on sleep, because I typically get too little. I still wake up at 4:30 - 5:00 naturally (I can't seem to sleep past that). Of course the time change did nothing to help that... But I do feel better rested these past couple of days.

I feel and look thinner, but given all the fluid I'm shedding, that is to be expected.

So far so good! :-)
        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Do you have any time frame in mind? Or just playing it as it goes?

Comment

• I'm not really sure. By all accounts it will take a couple of weeks to become fat adapted and I should see weight loss below my threshold base by then. Assuming I feel well and all is going well with it, I will likely do it at least all winter. There's a kind of nice Paleo tie-in there as during the cold winter months, there was likely less carbohydrate available, so early people (at least those living in cold, northern regions) likely were in Ketosis most of the winter.

But it's a day at a time (like anything). It's likely to be difficult socially during the holiday season to keep my carbs under 30. So I will do the best I can.
            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Yesterday I ran another obstacle course at the gym. I felt really strong and fit. I ran it about 30 seconds behind the leaders, which is an improvement for me. This time there were no bonus points (time off) for special chance things or trivia. There was a bit of running, my leg is getting better, but it is still difficult for me to sprint.

Eating is fine, I am following the Keto diet, and beginning to feel really good. Part of the headache that I have been having may have been because you excrete a lot of salt (with water) at the beginning of the keto diet and if you run low of salt you feel sluggish and headachy. So I drank several cups of bone broth yesterday and felt much better.

Because of my history with high blood pressure, I really don't eat a lot of salt. I season things while cooking and never salt at the table. I eat little or no processed food so do not eat much salt, so this makes sense. I'm feeling much better.

I did order one of those Ketonix breath meters, but won't get it for a month or so (ships direct from the manufacturer in Sweden).
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• So my official weigh in this morning at the gym showed me at 224.8! That is the lowest weight I have been in a decade!
                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Good work! You have been cranking on it solidly. Bask in the glow of success -- Just don't go out to eat to celebrate
                  The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• Ha! no, no more food related celebrations for me. Though I did go to a trade show which involved quite a lot of eating out in restaurants. I managed to navigate my way though that pretty well!
                    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Well, my tradeshow in Providence, RI is behind me. Eating and trying to stay in Ketosis in a social situation was a challenge, but I managed pretty well. Breakfast and lunches were rarely an issue, because we never ate breakfast as a group or with customers and lunch is typically something you grab quick on the show floor. I could skip it easily enough. Dinner was sometimes an issue, but I ordered a steak at the fancy-schmancy I-talian place and skipped the pasta. I had to eat around the croutons and crasins in the salad, etc. But managed to limit carbs well enough.

The next night at the very fancy seafood place was easier still. I stuck to raw bar foods and steamed lobster and crab. It was served with drawn butter and used that with abandon. So that meal, although too high in protein and too low in fat, was pretty good.

I struggled a bit more with the drinking, I did bunches of research, but never definitively answered if Alcohol throws one out of Ketosis or delays keto-adaptation beyond the time it takes for your body to metabolize it fully. But what I did read says that keeping carbs (in the drinks) as near to zero as possible is the best thing (aside from not drinking at all). The suggestions were dry red wine and straight liquors like vodka, gin or whiskey. Since I like red wine, that went fine with the steak, and I had whiskey on the rocks with the seafood.

So I was able to drink with the gang without standing out and we all had a good time. I kept it to three drinks each evening and all was well. We'll see how it affects my weight loss. Since I am not checking my ketosis level until my magic meter thing arrives, I can't yet say how the drinking will affect that.

But all of my clothes still fit, including the size 36 jeans I bought for the trip, so if I did put on weight, it won't be too much.
                      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I am so happy to read of your successful numbers and ability to stay on course.

I just finished a cruise and am 2 lbs lighter than when I left!

Comment

• Well, one negative aspect of my weight loss is apparently intolerance to the cold. Two of my oldest friends and I go to the last Yale home Football game each year. We usually tailgate with lots of meat on the grill type foods. We did that yesterday. It was a blast! We ate various grilled meats and I brought nuts and healthier things so I wouldn't be tempted to eat all the rest. Turns out that in the past year both guys have adopted low carb diets and except for some chili spiced rice (which I politely declined) there were no carbs to be found.

Once the meat-a-paloozah was finished, we went into the bowl to see the game. We had great seats, but the home side is on the shady side and it was f-f-freezing! I was dressed warmly, but still I was cold. I am rarely cold, but I was suffering. The game was not close, I think the final score was 44-30 Yale won. At halftime we moved to the sunny side and that was better, but we wound up going back to the car for some more food.

It was a great day and almost no carbs. I was still in Ketosis this morning!

I'm a bit dizzy and dehydrated (hungover?) today. I probably had four small whiskeys from 10:30 AM until 5:00 PM but I am not at all used to it.
                          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I forgot to update my weight in my signature block, now down to 224 "official weight." :-)
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• We did a body-fat percentage check this AM with the bio-impedance thingy that Trainer-Cliff uses and it measured me at 29.0% which is a new low for me and the first time that it has been below 30% since I have been making such measurements. It's not very accurate, but I've been using the same one so the change in it should be pretty close.

Today we did squats, a warm-up set with just the bar, we talked about technique a long time, how low to go, when to tighten the core, lots of fine adjustments. We worked up in weight and down in reps until we finished with a single 225 squat, which was very challenging. I've done more, but not much.

Then he added two lengths of heavy chain to each end of the bar and I did one additional rep. At the top of the movement he removed one of the chains from each end and I did another rep. Removing this little bit of additional weight felt like the remaining weight was much lighter! We repeated this with the remaining length of chain and then with just the weight on the bar (225) he told me to do as many as I could. I got to five before he stopped me! (I was rounding my back, which showed I was exhausted).

Techniques like that are interesting to me. It really does pay to have a good trainer.
                              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Woah, are these full-on below parallel squats? That's nice work!

I freaking love squatting with chains, too. Yeah, they're good for working out your sticking points, but mostly they just make you look like a bad*ss.

Comment

Working...
                                X