Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well a minor triumph, of sorts. We weighed in last night, just before the Thursday night Indoor Obstacle Course and I am down to 229.6! AND I had the shortest run time! The run time is a bit spurious, because at the end of a particularly difficult and taxing routine. you had to run and throw a football the length of the building over a big weight cage and land it in a 55 gallon drum. Anybody who did this cleanly (not bouncing off of a wall) got a full minute subtracted from his or her score.

My throw went in! :-) So, with the minute-off bonus, my time went down to 8:34, one second faster than the leader! But the good news is that even without the bonus, I was in the top 5! which is a remarkable improvement when you consider that usually I was last or next to last.

This course had a lot more core-specific exercises, bear crawls, moving planks and belly crawls. Also, there was no running to speak of. So it played to my strengths.

I'm a bit stiff and sore this morning, particularly in my hamstring and glute, where I hurt it last week. I don't believe I reinjured it, but it wasn't used to working it so hard!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Highest Weight: 292
    Recent Starting Weight 287
    Current weight: 244.0
    Goal weight: 195
    Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• That's just crazy stuff! How does Trainer Cliff think this up? He must have quite an imagination!
      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• He tries to make them fun! (As much fun as an indoor obstacle course is likely to be). He always has fun names for the courses as well. Last night's he called the "Maniacal Manatee" and it featured lots of belly crawls, a nod to manatees swimming. Often there's a trivia question, which if answered correctly allows time off, or to skip an obstacle. Usually there is some "stupid human trick" like flipping a bottle cap into a solo cup, or a beer-pong toss.

It keeps it fun and is a boost for those of his clients who have spent more time on a bar stool than in a gym over the years, like me so we're still competitive!
        Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Yesterday afternoon my gym had its Octoberfest picnic. Trainer Cliff and his wife put this on each year for their clientele. It was really nice! They had all kinds of good mostly Paleo foods available, and lots of fun micro brew beers to sample. They set up a fun little obstacle course for the kids, (there were lots). Boy had a ball! He hit the ground running (literally) and I do not believe he ever stopped. He does not recall eating anything at the party. He actually had the best time in the obstacle course!

There was a rousing beer pong game, which was about it for the grown-up activities. There was also an outdoor fire pit for toasting marshmallows. It was a really nice event and it was a good time to get to know some of the other clientele better!

Today pretty much everything hurts after the obstacle course on Thursday and a very heavy full body routine Saturday Morning. My Octoberfest celebrations continue with brunch at a German restaurant with the Outlaws today. SWMBO's Mom, who is in her early Eighties has been feeling poorly all summer and is now feeling better, so this is among her first outings. I'm not sure what acceptable foods will be offered, so today is likely to be a day focused on the 20% of the 80/20 directive. But I'll do my best!
          Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• I'm glad your party went better than mine! I went to a Halloween party last night, I was quite looking forward to it, but for me it was a bust. Although it must be said a good time was had by others and it was quite a successful party. I am fighting this cold, and losing, so that was a drag. Also I didn't know a lot of the people there, but they knew each other. Those two things added up to me standing around feeling horrid and leaving quite early.

You are really getting the exercise right, that is terrific! Great that Trainer Cliff has a family event, that's the kind of thing we need more of.

Comment

• Aww, it must be awful to go to a party when you are not feeling well... I had a cold that started the week after the Warrior Dash that seemed to hang on forever! Lots of folks down here have complained of something similar. I hope you feel better in a hurry!
              Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Well, it wasn't a weekend of stellar Paleo/Primal eating. I went to two Octoberfest events and pretty much ate whatever was offered, turning my nose up at only desserty things.

The worst of it was yesterday at brunch with the Outlaws, I had potato pancakes and Wiener Schnitzel, both fried in whatever seed oil restaurants use. I felt full to the point of nausea afterward, so I was duly punished for my dietary indiscretions. After brunch we went back to the Outlaws and I promptly fell asleep on the couch snuggling Boy, who was watching Football with Papa (his Grandpa).

This morning, I felt okay, so I decided to go for a run. I haven't run at all since hurting my hamstring. So I decided to take it easy and go slow. But after a half-a-mile my leg hurt too much so I had to just walk (which feels fine) :-/

So I spent the rest of the morning stretching and foam rolling.

Hopefully the leg loosens up soon.

Nobody but Boy wanted dinner
                Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• My cold ailment still in full swing, leaving me unable to taste or smell. When I read "Wiener Schnitzel" and "seed oil" my stomach took a mighty lurch. Yes, I have changed.

Damn, I need to kick this monster.

Comment

• Ugh! Well I hope you feel better soon. Dumb as I am I haven't really put 2 and 2 together about the seed oils and commercially fried food. In the last couple of years since I've been MOSTLY Paleo, I have noticed that fried foods, particularly fried seafood and French fried potatoes and onion rings have really been upsetting my stomach. I never really considered the wheat in the breading or the type of oil they use and how it might affect me.

But last night it was pretty clear, I was bloated and uncomfortable all day after brunch and well into the night.

Live and learn... Hopefully learning will enable me to live longer!
                    Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Funny, I always suspected that canola oil was nasty and had a bad effect on me, but I was bombarded with info that it was 'heart-healthy' or whatever. Now I know it wasn't my imagination, which is cold comfort for all that discomfort.

Comment

• It really is weird, when you come to think of it, I've been overweight from the time I was seven. My Mother took me to one of my school physicals and I clearly remember our kindly old family Doctor telling me to watch less television, get outside more and play and to really cut back on sweets and starches, particularly bread. In order to lose weight. This was in 1966! How much we knew back then and then promptly forgot!

When big business got into the what constitutes a healthy diet business, everything seems to have fallen apart. It's taken 50 years to begin to understand how to be healthy and we're still viewed as kooks by lots of really intelligent people, who follow all the "conventional wisdom" and slide toward obesity and worse...

Well in other news, in order to help rehab my glutes and hamstring, I did some heavy barbell squats this morning and set a new personal record. 275lbs!

My leg is getting better by the day. I just can't run for a bit.
                        Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• I took a walk at lunchtime and while I was walking across an intersection a car wanted to turn, so to get out of their way, I broke into a light jog and was immediately reminded that my leg isn't really healed enough to run... Grrrrrr... Sigh...

My eating is good and everything else is fine. I'm still hovering around 230 - 232 though. I guess it is a real plateau for me. I spent some time looking up what one should do for plateaus. One of the things I'm not doing is paying enough attention to hydration. So I'm now trying to drink more water. I'll shoot for 3 liters a day. That seems to be the recommendation for somebody my size.

Food is a continuing issue, but I re-did all of the math and 1800 - 2000 calories a day should be enough to lose 1-2 lbs. a week.

But, even with all of the working out that I am doing, I'm clearly adapted to the energy in/out formula at my current weight. I'm not really willing to workout more, but I would walk more, so I'll do that. I've also set an alarm to remind me to get up and move around from my desk at work every hour.

Other things were to make sure I am getting enough protein. Sometimes that is an issue, I'll shoot for 100 grams a day. Then there is sleep. I haven't been sleeping well and I feel tired in the mid-afternoon lately. I wake up early (5:00 usually) but I go to bed early too. Usually by 9:30. But lately I've been going to bed later. So I think I have to make adjustments at one end of the day or the other.

Then there's stress. haven't quite figured out how to deal with that one yet...
                          Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• Well, you've hit all bullet points! If you figure out the stress thing, let us know please!

Did you read Mark's post today about running a mile? It's something I have been kinda sorta flirting with but haven't done it seriously. I think now is the time -

Comment

• I've been doing online research at odd moments, and they said that bad hamstring pulls can take weeks/months to heal fully (yikes!)...

The running the mile article was interesting! I've been focusing on the 5K, just focused on being able to finish one without walking for some of it. I've been doing the C25K program now since the summer. (I am only halfway through it, but haven't been doing it with any regularity). I'm sure I could run a mile but I haven't timed myself.

I may just map out a mile from the house and walk out as a warm up and then run back, to see how I do!

I ran (kind of a limpy sprint) a bit at training this morning. It is hurting less, but it is still...refreshing!
                              Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• I did another obstacle course last night. I am now officially the series leader! :-) My score was aided by trivia questions, each of which correctly answered took 10 seconds off of the total time. My running time with the 70 seconds off from the correct time was fastest, but even without it, it was respectable.

And I didn't hurt myself!
                                Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

Working...
                                X