Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I
    also need to work on good posture and may investigate getting a standing desk and a stability ball to sit on while I work.
    Big + on these ideas from me. Here's what I used to start with to see if the standing desk concept was good for me: dirt cheap and simple.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1487307
    Start with short stints and work up your standing time gradually. Take breaks every 20 minutes or so and don't stand rigidly in place.

For your lower back, use that stability (exercise?) ball and check out Ball Exercises | Complete Guide to Ball Exercises. My chiropractor has me doing a series of ball exercises for my problematic lower back, has helped me out immensely.

Posture: Mark has some stuff linked to Esther Gokhale (Gokhale Method). Check her out.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• One step forward and one step back...

The good news is that I dropped my time in last night's obstacle course from 10:42 to 9:10! (go me!)

The bad news is I pulled a glute-muscle in the process. It was in the final exercise in the final round. The leaders were all doing the round in under 2 minutes and I was hot on their tails. The last exercise was a farmer carry with 25 lb. dumbbells once up the length of the gym and once back. I ran to pick up the dumbbells and people were shouting that I would finish under two minutes if I kept the pace. So I resolved to sprint the distance. The floor turns from rubber mat to wood about halfway and my foot must've slipped out as I pushed off during sprinting. I heard and felt a big pop in my hip (like cracking a knuckle but louder), and I came down hard on my side with both arms out in front, still holding onto the dumbbells. I lay there for a moment (I don't know if it was 5 or 25 seconds). Everybody was asking if I was okay and I didn't know the answer. I stood up and it didn't seem to be dislocated and while painful it wasn't terrible, so I picked up the dumbbells and the three of us dumbbells finished the carry and the race. I'm sure I lost considerable time with the fall, but still 9:10 was a respectable time for me.

After, Trainer-Cliff had me roll it out (excruciating!) and showed me some stretches to do to keep it mobile. I'm walking okay today, albeit slowly, but it feels better to keep it moving. It's very stiff and sore today, but it's clear nothing is broken or badly hurt. I have training again tomorrow and I'm sure we will be doing lots of stretching.
      Height: 5' 10"
      Starting Weight: 292
      Starting Primal Weight: 275
      Current weight: 224
      Goal weight: 172
      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Owwwww! Dude, I think you are lucky you didn't get hurt worse! Sounds like you could have broken something. Hope it all clears up really soon.

I tweaked my knee a couple weeks ago, bah, it's okay but still a little sore. I tripped over a power cord.
        My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Thanks!

And this after all that discussion about competitiveness! I just pushed myself too hard. that'll l'arn me!

It's not too bad, thankfully, just a pain in the a** literally!
          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I went to our local health food store to get produce and they had a tube of Arnica Cream for muscle soreness. I don't know much about Arnica, though it figures prominently in a poem from my youth. "When Father played Baseball" by Edgar Guest (I think). I don't remember it all, but the opening lines are:

The smell of arnica is strong,
            And mother's time is spent
            In rubbing father's arms and back
            With burning liniment.
            The house is like a druggist's shop;
            Strong odors fill the hall,
            And day and night we hear him groan,
            Since father played baseball.

Well it wasn't baseball, but the results are not so far off. I bought the cream and SWMBO did the honors. I think it helped a little, along with time and a decent night's sleep.
            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I went to our local health food store to get produce and they had a tube of Arnica Cream for muscle soreness. I don't know much about Arnica, though it figures prominently in a poem from my youth. "When Father played Baseball" by Edgar Guest (I think). I don't remember it all, but the opening lines are:

The smell of arnica is strong,
              And mother's time is spent
              In rubbing father's arms and back
              With burning liniment.
              The house is like a druggist's shop;
              Strong odors fill the hall,
              And day and night we hear him groan,
              Since father played baseball.

Well it wasn't baseball, but the results are not so far off. I bought the cream and SWMBO did the honors. I think it helped a little, along with time and a decent night's sleep.
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I remember that stuff but not the poem! Hope today is soreness-free.

Comment

• Thanks!

Well I dragged my broken a** to the gym for a stretch-yoga class and my normal training. The stretching was good, but wow am I sore and tight. I wasn't able to do some of the poses (standing bird dog) at all! But it did help to loosen up. My training session was more PT than training. TrainerCliff joked that he should bill my insurance company for the session, but I reminded him that he broke me, so he should fix me. :-)

I was supposed to have my weigh in today, but he suggested we wait because I'm all swollen still and the weight wouldn't be accurate. So we put it off until Tuesday. I did do the body fat meter, which went down to 30.1, which is considerably lower, but it maybe thrown off by fluid retention too. I really didn't want to go to the gym this morning, but I'm glad I did.

He gave me a bunch of exercises and stretches to do, along with foam rolling and sitting with the affected part on a tennis ball (ouch!!). He says I should be fine by Tuesday or Wednesday. I figure he's about right. It does feel better.
                  Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Good sign that you are feeling better and it will all clear away in a couple of days. TrainerCliff is a pretty smart guy!

I swam today and it really helped my back and my mood. Exercise really is key. Or I should say focused physical activity.

Comment

• It's so true, I wonder why I still fight it though. I know how good it will make me feel, and that I will enjoy doing it once I start, but I still have to push myself to get moving. At the risk of underlining an obvious point, this is the very reason that I pay Cliff. I would too easily talk myself out of going to the gym if I didn't have a formal appointment with him. I treat it like a Doctor visit (yesterday's visit was like one).

But I'm always glad I went.

One thing I did yesterday was to go to the sporting goods store and get a stability ball to use as a chair, here at home, when I use the computer, hoping to keep my core engaged and to help with my posture. It's comfortable enough, particularly with my sore butt! If how tired I was after sitting awhile is any indication, it is doing its job.
                      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Well, the past couple of training sessions have been more like Physical Therapy sessions than workouts. But my Glute and Hamstring are responding and getting looser daily. We did the weigh-in today and I was a pound under my last weight. Less of a loss than I had hoped, but with the injury and all, who knows?

All of my training sessions are now in the morning, which I prefer. My son, who has been training with me will likely stop though :-( he can't seem to get himself out of bed early enough. I still will take some of the classes at night (TRX and TABATA blast and stretch yoga), so he can go to those.

We have another obstacle course on Thursday, I think I'll be okay to run it. It's a new course this time so I'll take it easy and if I'm slow, then at least when I run the same course next week, I'm bound to improve. :-)
                        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I really miss TRX and tabata, the Y dropped them because they weren't popular. Really annoying! They are such good workouts!

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Me too! I bought an Off-brand TRX (suspension trainer) to take with me when I travel so I can use it at hotels!
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Today, when I woke up, I felt better rested than I have for awhile (since the injury). I thought about taking a walk or even a little running, but decided against it. I have workout classes tonight and I do not want to push the recovery. My leg is feeling much better now, it is still tight, but only painful when I stretch.

I was reading about resistant starch and gut health this morning. I'm going to look into that further. The article I was reading said that cooked starched caused a high Insulin response, cold starches caused a good deal less of one. But the big deal was that reheated starches cause even less than cold! By nearly 50%! They did the experiment with pasta, and only 10 participants, but each had an identical response.

Based on this I will likely gook up a pot of potatoes, rice, and pasta, cool and refrigerate it all and add small amounts to lunches and stir-fries for dinner!

The pasta I use is made of organic Einkorn wheat, which has not been Hybrid-ized or Genetically altered like more modern wheat, which makes it better for some folks whole are intolerant. So I am hoping that small amounts of this reheated will be okay for me. I miss pasta.
                              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I've had very good results with rice - I make one cup (uncooked) and put it in the fridge. Takes me a week or so to eat all of it. Really aids the digestion. I only eat half a cup at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X