Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi TW, I have gotten the same thing, like my taking care of myself was somehow self indulgent. I like to think of the training as gym class. I was in the best shape of my life through school and college. When I stopped taking Phys-Ed my fitness level declined. If I spent an equal amount of money taking Continuing-Ed classes at a local community college, nobody would have anything to say about it, but because I am engaging a personal trainer, it is somehow narcissistic and wasteful. Oh well, I've heard a saying that I agree with, "Somebody's opinion of me is none of my business."

Hi Rig D!

Thanks for stopping by! I hear you! I'm in 38-pants now and an XL shirt. It makes shopping so much easier! I don't have to go to a big and tall man's shop anymore. I can just go anywhere and buy off the rack (after trying stuff on, of course) most things fit fine now. Congratulations on your success too!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Well so far so good. Though I swore I wouldn't compulsively weigh myself, I have peeked at my weight from time to time and is dropping encouragingly, as you expect it to do, when you are the first week into a diet. I've been keeping my calories around 1800 - 2000 and the past few days have been just over 1800. Based on the numbers I should lose about 2 pounds a week. I've lost more than that this week but one always does starting out.

But I'm now 232.5 :-)
      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Good on you! Congrats on the number! It's gotta feel good.
        My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Congrats on the loss so far. Suggest hitting the scale once a week on a regular schedule. That gives you way to feed the 'compulsive' side without getting dragged down by odd fluctuations. Get your tape measure out monthly and check waist and wherever else you find interesting.
          The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• Thanks all!

Yes the weekly weigh-ins are a good idea. I'll be doing a formal weigh-in each week at the gym. Since getting it so wrong, calorie-wise I've just been seeking confirmation that everything is working now that I'm at the calorie level that theoretically works.

I was taking measurements, but stopped, Throughout all of the last year's fluctuations and intransigence, my pants are fitting the same or slightly better so I'm really not too concerned that I've gained all that much fat, but interestingly, my % Body fat is about the same as it was a year ago.

But it's a good idea to go back to taking monthly measurements, thanks! I forgot about doing that.
            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Well last night we had the first of weekly obstacle courses at the gym. It was really fun, there were three rounds, each round included three weight lifting exercises: deadlifts, hang clean and presses, and kettle bell swings and then six agility exercises (bear crawls, rope pulls, hurdles, etc., etc.). There was no running (except between the obstacles) which made me more competitive because my running is still slow.

It was exhausting but I really liked it! The "winner" finished all three rounds in 9 minutes, 2 seconds. My time was 10 minutes, 42 seconds, sort of in the middle of the pack, the slowest time was 15 minutes, 22 seconds. So for me it was a respectable finish. It's remarkable in that of all these similar events, I have most often been the slowest one. So my fitness level is steadily increasing.

I've never really been a "competitive" person, but I do enjoy competing in these things to see how I do. Before, I would just be satisfied with finishing without passing out or worse, now my goal is to finish without an embarrassingly long time. The first one of these was last June and by the time I finished the 2-mile run at the end of it all, everybody but Trainer Cliff had pretty much gone home and he was almost through breaking down the course! So, progress!
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I went to the gym this morning for my weigh in and I was 231.6 so I'm down 7.4 lbs since rebooting my diet! I have changed my stats to match what we're doing at the gym. My body fat percentage that I used in my signature block was from the circumference method and I'm switching it to the bio impedance reading that the machine at the gym uses, which reads 2% higher :-(

But it's the change that's more important than the number. It dropped last week too by some fraction of a percentage.

So all is good!
                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• You're doing great...I am envious! I'm always fighting that sugar monster. How nice to see the numbers moving in the right direction, and getting the validation that you are doing the right things.

I'm not a competitive person (certainly not athletically) but once in a while something kicks in and I push myself. I should do that more often, a bit of that drive is good for me, I think. When I used to be a runner, hearing footsteps coming up behind me used to do it!

Comment

• Good stuff! OK, now you've got a brand new measuring system, and you recognize that, like stepping on a different scale, it reads a little different. Smile and press forward with the new toolset.
                    I do enjoy competing in these things to see how I do.
                    Sounds like my kids who ran cross country in HS, they weren't "competitive" as in being really good, but they were highly competitive in competing against their previous times. As a highly competitive "jock mentality" guy, I struggled with this for a while, then realized it was the only way to approach that sport and has wide applicability to other areas of life. Making progress is the win.
                    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

• I come and go with sugar cravings. Mostly I don't have them, or they're easy to ignore. Since rebooting the diet I've been having some pretty intense fat cravings, (weird, huh?). Basically, although I'm not really restricting fatty foods, I am adding no additional fats, so steaming veggies instead of sautéing them, for example.

I do like something sweet after the evening meal, so far, fresh picked apples have sufficed, but I'll get tired of them as they go out of season. I'm trying to stay under 100gr. of Carbs, so I limit myself to one a day.

Yeah, Trainer Cliff is very competitive and he really doesn't understand that I'm not. We've been trying to increase my Son's sprinting speed, (we're all of us pretty slow, but B is very slow with running). So we were doing sprint intervals and Cliff called out that whoever finished last would have to do an additional lap. B looked in pain when he heard this so I asked him how he was feeling, and he said pretty tired, so I let him beat me so he wouldn't have to do the lap and to give him a sense of accomplishment. I did the lap and didn't care either way who won.

Cliff asked me about it later, because I had been consistently beating B up until then. I told him that I let him win because he was too exhausted to run much more and Cliff just shook his head, perplexed. "But that meant you had to do more running," he said.

I told him that was fine, I really didn't mind. He didn't get it. I'm just glad that I'm making steady (though slow) improvements.
                      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Wow, that takes me back! I remember my puzzlement as a child in gym class - everyone loved gym class (except me) yet exercise was handed out at punishment, i.e. extra laps or burpees or whatever we were doing. I was a really active kid but I hated the atmosphere in the school gym and the stuff we did. I would have been happy to ride my bike for an hour, or climb on the monkey bars. Well, I could go on and on with this subject!

Comment

• Yes, my gym classes were all like that too. I hated it then, because I was often the slowest. But even back then, if somebody was slower, I would often let people beat me if there was some punishment for being last. Not that I'm a glutton for punishment, but I never really minded the extra running or push-ups. I just hated to see people suffer (I still do).

I remember a story I read recently where a man was doing some study on people (children) from some other culture maybe rural Africa or Asia. He set up a race, the winner of which would get some quantity of fruit or sweets, all for themselves. The children all skipped hand in hand finishing across the line at the same time, so they divided the prize equally among them all. When asked why they did this they said that how could any one of them be happy if each didn't get a share?

That's sort of the way I feel about competition.

It's easy to imagine I got that way because I was slow and had to rationalize constant defeat. But I was good at Tennis and Math and Word Games and I'm equally uncomfortable winning as I am losing.

But I do like to challenge myself and succeed in improving!
                          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I think that in some cultures the idea that you would keep something all to yourself while others went without is just unthinkable. The 'winner' is the one sitting around with their friends, everyone eating watermelon. I'd like to think so anyway!

I'm very uncomfortable with winning, like you I don't like competing even in things I'm good at. (Although I have my moments.) Probably explains a great deal about why I'm not more successful (materially) in life.

Competing against myself, now that's something I like. The only competition worth winning, in my opinion.

Comment

• Well it sounds like we have similar ideas about competitiveness. That said, Trainer Cliff posted all of the results of the Obstacle Course and while my time was only a minute and a half slower than the leaders, it turns out that there was some misunderstanding about some of the exercises and most of the fastest people did not technically comply with good form in several exercises.

So that accounts for so many people clustered in their times around the leader (between 9 and 10 minutes, I was 10:42). So there was no penalty for poor form, but in this next round there will be. Tomorrow night, there will be a do-over and since I observed good form throughout the race (good form is important to me), I get to choose the lower of my two times, where most others will have to take tomorrow night's time.

I don't much care about the standings, but I hope I go faster than 10:42. I expect that I will, because this time the course is identical, when you don't know what's ahead of you, you tend to be somewhat reserved, because the next obstacle could require more strength or wind. But now I can apportion more energy where it matters.

In other news, food has been good! I've been eating according to plan all week and I feel good. I had a little bit of hunger pangs yesterday afternoon for the first time in awhile. I'm not sure why because it was a rest day. But I needed more, I didn't get more, and I didn't cheat, so I guess that was good.
                              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• It's been a busy week as far as exercise goes, I've had morning training yesterday and today, last night I did a class (TRX and Stretch-Yoga) and then tonight I have the obstacle course to run. Tomorrow I will maybe take a walk and that's it!

I'm really tired.

My lower back has felt tired and a bit sore, I spoke to Trainer-Cliff about it and so we are going to focus a bit more on core-strengthening in the coming weeks, particularly abdominals. We did that for the past two sessions and I am already feeling better. I also need to work on good posture and may investigate getting a standing desk and a stability ball to sit on while I work.

I spend most of the day seated in front of a computer, or driving. So it's important to work in some more movement throughout the day.

So much to do to stay healthy!
                                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

Working...
                                X