Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, next time I will change what I wear. I went with light microfiber clothes because they dry really quickly. My son wore a cotton shirt and it became so heavy and uncomfortable with mud that it was burdensome.

So the shirt was good, but next time I will wear leggings of some type. My legs were all cut up from bear crawls under barbed wire, but over rocks and gravel. The folks that looked like this was not their first rodeo all had their legs (at least down past their knees) covered.

The sunglasses were important because some of the obstacles spray muddy water at you, you can see it on the big slide.

Normally, I'm told, they have cold water sprinklers set up to "shower" off the bulk of the mud. But since this was held at a summer camp site, we were all allowed to swim in the lake to clean off. It was very welcome!

So I do not know if it was related to the Warrior Dash or not, but I was felled by a bad cold all of last week and am still feeling the effects today, more than week later. Sinus congestion, aches and remarkable fatigue. Today is the first day that I really feel better and not 100% yet.

The good news is I think I have lost some weight! My pants are noticeably looser and I feel lighter when I run. I've been less good diet-wise this summer (justified by doing so much exercise getting ready for the race, I suppose). But have re-committed and will do a more directed diet (not a whole 30, because I have no issue with the tiny bit of dairy I eat) for October, at least, to see if I can get myself down under 220. In truth, I have no idea what I weigh now, I haven't weighed myself for a long time.

I will probably weigh myself tomorrow morning. I turn 54 next week, so it a good time for new beginnings!

DC
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Sorry you've been sick. Your body was probably paying you back for working it so hard

Have you tried the perfect health diet? I love it.
      The Diet - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Comment

• 54? OMG do people get that old? I thought only sea turtles and parrots reached that advanced age.

{{{{Kidding...I'm 55...}}}}
        My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Well done on finishing the Warrior Dash. I am amazed at how good you are looking. So much younger than your earliest pics. That looks like quite the experience! Glad you're getting over the cold...
          Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
          Primal low: 186 lbs
          Current weight: 221.4 lbs
          Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Thanks everybody!

Well I weighed myself this AM and much to my surprise I am up 9 pounds! I weighed 239! It's so weird, because all of my pants are looser and people are commenting that I look thinner. It's no biggie, because I feel great and feel as though I look better. Plus I am way stronger and likely have added muscle which weighs more than fat.

But still, I was a bit perplexed about it because while I haven't by any means been perfect with my diet, I honestly have been okay. Keeping it around 1800 - 2000 calories, which figuring my increased activity level should give me enough of a caloric deficit to lose a little weight in the last three months.

I was thinking about this as I made my coffee and reached for the light cream. I suddenly wondered, just how much cream do I put into my coffee? I put the cup of coffee onto the kitchen scale and zeroed it. Then without looking at the readout, I put enough cream into it like I do, and it turned out to be 2.8 ounces (its a big mug). Normally I have 2 cups in the morning and then iced coffee when I get home from work. lets call it 10 ounces of cream throughout the day. At 60 calories/ounce that's 600 calories!

Then as I packed my lunch I looked at the bag of nuts that I pack as a snack. I buy containers of organic nuts and pumpkin seeds and distribute them into bags of a mixed assortment, 3 ounces per bag. I did all the math and given the nuts that I use, it works out to 160 calories per ounce. That adds an additional 480 calories every day. Next I thought about the way I cook vegetables, I steam them until they are just barely soft and then finish them sautéed in CO, EVOO, lard or butter. Just for giggles, I took the spoon I usually use to scoop out a "pat of butter" and weighed it, then added the amount of butter I typically use, did the math and found it to be nearly three tablespoons! Now I don't eat all of the veggies I cook, but I eat at least half of them. I use butter and healthy fats without much concern and at 100 calories a tablespoon, on average, its not at all unreasonable to think that on any given day I might be adding 300 calories on top of everything else.

So this all adds up to nearly 1400 calories every. single. day. that I am not really accounting for. This on top of the 1800 - 2000 calories that I do acknowledge. It is not hard to see why I've crept up in weight.

I'm not giving up any of these foods, but I will regulate my intake of them and will adjust my totals to account for the calories in a far more formal way. Hopefully that will show up on the scale!
            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• That just goes to show how easy it is to eat a lot more than we think we are eating - I am doing the same, which is why I can't get the last pounds off. I thank you for quantifying it in such a direct way.

I think the cream-in-the-coffee is a common problem - so easy to down 200-300 calories without even realizing it. Who was it who said "We don't count calories, but calories do count?"

Comment

• It's true! I was just amazed when I started really looking at how much of it (cream, nuts and cooking fats) I was eating without really being conscious of it. I guessed that I was eating too much of these things (for my calorie goals) but guessed a couple hundred calories total, not 1400. Of course some days were not so bad, but some days (weekends) were far worse.

There's plenty of good news in this too. It makes sense to me that this is why I haven't lost weight. There is comfort in that. It's a terrible feeling, doing everything right and still not losing weight! Also, when I do get to the point where I want to maintain my weight, I can just add in the fats and I won't really have to change all that much about my diet. I like the way I am eating now. Sure for the next few months I'll have to steam my veggies, drink black coffee, and use nuts more as a salad ingredient than as a snack food, but after I can ease back into a way of eating that I am comfortable with.
                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I'm gonna use this as my motivation to do the same!

Not the same situation at all, but in the hospital recently we had a very obese patient who absolutely has to lose weight or she will die. She has an infection that is running through her body and it will kill her unless something changes. (This is the simplified version.) The hospital dietitian sat down with her and showed her that the three snacks a day she is consuming comprise 1800 calories a day. This is just snacks, not the three meals she also consumes. She was astounded, and I have to say I was also. Amazing how a few packages of crackers, peanut butter, and ginger ale add up. Of course I don't eat any of those things, but still! Yeah, I need to get off my high horse and look at what I am actually consuming.

Comment

• It can be an eye-opener. I had a TRX class and a STROGA (Stretching and yoga) class tonight and there were just a few of us and we got talking about careless eating, I told my story and a guy named Big Mike (because he is one of these incredibly strong bears of a guy) told us that before he lost weight he used to regularly go to some chain restaurant for lunch and eat their Chicken Fried Steak platter. Once he started to eat carefully, he went on line and found that meal was over 3000 calories! For lunch.

In my defense, I am fully committed to keeping healthy fats as an important part of my diet. I'll just dial them back a bit and take them into account. Since Paleo doesn't restrict healthy fats, I just stopped thinking about them and ate.

I see people like the woman you describe and I really feel sorry for them. They are so lost, I think. I've told this story before, but as a child I was fat and my Mother took me to our Doctor to see what could be done about it. He pretty well explained to me at age 7 what I needed to do. Stop eating so much sweets and starches, eat more vegetables and meats and get outside and play more. (Of course this was in the mid 1960's before the demonization of dietary fats). It's amazing how exactly right he was. It only took me 45 years to listen.

But there are so many people who just don't get it at all and give up. Like the woman you mentioned, and like my Father-out-law. He is finally beginning to lose some weight because his doctor told him to stop eating "white foods" (sugar and starches). Before that he tried to cut down on fat and kept gaining weight.

Having begun to control my weight effectively, I want to grab people like that around the neck (figuratively speaking) and tell them what to do. I've tried it, it doesn't work. It's frustrating, because to me now it is so simple and obvious. I have a hard time remembering what it was like to be that woman, hopelessly lost and facing real, serious health issues.
                    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I am reminding myself of how easy it is to get off track and eat much more than I should. When I was losing weight I was meticulous about macros. And yep, those macros need to come from meat, vegetables, and fruit. It's easy to be just as much in denial as the obese woman in the hospital.

At the hospital, when I ask someone if they smoke, and how much (it's my job, I'm not being snarky) I always double it. We are actually taught this. I'm pretty sure the same is true of food!

Comment

• I'm sure it is. Before joining MDA, I was a member of another weight loss forum. There was a guy there who was a personal trainer, much like Trainer Cliff. He was convinced that for most people, ones who had issues with stubborn weight loss, the problem was underestimating their food intake, and overestimating their activity levels. The discussions often got rancorous and he was eventually fired as a moderator and left the site.

It's hard to accept that I might be essentially lying to myself about how much I'm dieting or exercising, but facts are facts and the evidence is spilling over my belt.

It is a good reminder!
                        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I had training last night and talked to Trainer Cliff about my issues with weight loss, we're going to do a more thorough body-fat analysis, calipers and the usual bio impedance thingy. He is surprised that I could've gained (fat) given our training. I'll do weigh-ins at the gym Saturday Mornings and not ever at home.

I was talking to SWMBO about my training yesterday, she has friends at her new job who go to personal trainers, through the YMCA or through a big commercial fitness center, and they pay less than I do. She was suggesting in a roundabout way that I shop around a bit for a new trainer to save some bucks.

I told her that I would be unwilling to do that because I have done so well with him so far. His background as a physical therapist has really helped with the injuries that I had, coming into training as well as the injuries I've had along the way. He carries all of the certifications that a personal trainer can have. But mostly we get along, and I've made remarkable progress. Once I reach my goal weight, I will likely cut back on the number of personal training sessions (which are expensive) and will go to his group training classes, which are much less.

One deciding factor is my mood. Before I began focusing on my health, I was chronically depressed. I took antidepressants, which cost a good bit of money, I was seeing Doctors regularly about my chronic high blood pressure along with taking several medications, I saw a chiropractor for the weight-related back problems I've had all of my adult life (which are gone now), and off and on I saw a therapist to deal with depression, which was entirely tied up with my self image, caused by being fat and feeling powerless to change that.

The cost of all of these things well exceeds the cost of the training, and the depression as well as the back problems are essentially gone, my blood pressure is now reasonable without medications.

But saying I'm spending all this money on personal training, seems somehow more frivolous and narcissistic than saying I'm spending even more money on Doctors, Therapists, and Medications, which is somehow more acceptable to her and to others in my family and among my friends. They seem to have it all backwards. Many people do.

Ultimately it is my decision how long I will continue with the personal training. I really look forward to it these days, and I cannot think that I'll ever give it up. Cliff is a real quality trainer and worth every dollar. I still can't believe my luck in finding him, he follows a Paleo Diet himself and his focus is on functional training, as opposed to body-building or elite athlete training. it's a perfect fit for me.
                          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Yesterday was my "official" weigh-in at the start of my re-energized weight loss regimen. The Gym scale measured me at 235.2 so that's a loss of roughly 4 pounds since Tuesday, water, no doubt, but it shows that things are working.

The only dietary changes I've made are to limit cream in my coffee to 2oz one time a day and drink black after that, to limit my nut intake to one ounce a day measured on the scale for accuracy, and to be conscious of how much butter/lard/evo/co I am using in my cooking and to account for it. Everything else is the same, and the weight loss has started back up.

One thing- according to the little, cheap, percent body fat meter trainer Cliff uses, my %BF is unchanged since July 1. We were both surprised by that, since I am clearly stronger in all of my lifts. But it's not very accurate so who knows. I try not to get hung up on data and quantifying things. But it is a puzzle and it bothers me not to solve it.

My cold is pretty much gone, I felt really good working out yesterday, we did a full body exhausting workout, several sets of deadlifts, squats and bench press with moderate/heavy weights. The goal was to really work me and get me tired and it worked.
                            Then we did a bunch of core work, planks, medicine ball throws and a whole kettle bell routine. We finished up with a little bit of sprinting and then stretching.

The rest of the day was pretty quiet, it rained heavily all day long here in CT and I just did little chores inside. Today is shaping up to be a beautiful day. I had intended to do an early morning run, but I slept through my alarm, unusual for me, and didn't wake up until Boy got up. I'm pretty stiff and sore from the workout, so I may just take a nice walk somewhere today.
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Good on you for sticking to your guns. Although I don't have the same family pressures, believe it or not I often have people tell me the Y is too expensive at $30 per month. "Why do you go there, you can join Jeff's Gym for $10!" When I point out that Jeff's Gym doesn't have a pool (I leave out the fact that it is a filthy pit) they don't get it. "Just do something else." I've never figured out why people who don't do any exercise themselves think they are qualified to give advice. And besides all that, you can't put a price on your health! It has been very inspiring to learn of your progress here, I know that many others feel the same.

After raining all night, the day here has dawned bright, sunny, and warm, hope it is the same for you also. A walk sounds pretty good!

Comment

• Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
                                Yesterday was my "official" weigh-in at the start of my re-energized weight loss regimen.
                                Dave: Best wishes for your restart and hopefully more success on losing the lbs with this round. I've off/on checked your journal, we both started the same time and we share height/weight/body shape -- Other than the head, your photos could be me. The big "event" on my journey was going under 40" pants!
                                The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Working...
                                X