Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Everybody!

Well I'm back from the last trade show of the season. This one was to NYC and I did pretty well there eating wise. I also did a ton of walking! I wore my fitbit the whole week and did from 10,000 to 18,000 steps each day! Drinking was minimal, a glass of wine with dinner or two. So all was good on that front.

On the home front things aren't so rosy... SWMBO was just laid off! She sort of knew it was coming and things have been very stressful this past week. But it's done and over with now, so at least the uncertainty is over. Fortunately my job is secure and we can get by on my salary alone until she finds another job. But she feels badly and is cycling between being angry and sad and frightened by turns.

Ironic I just spent big $ pre-paying for training for the rest of the year. I'm glad I did! If this happened before I paid up, I might not have.

I might have to make concessions about the quality of the food I am eating. Or learn to shop a whole lot better. As a last hurrah, tonight I stopped at the store and bought two beautiful GF ribeye steaks and some fresh asparagus. It cost about what I once budgeted (in college) for a weeks worth of groceries. Feast tonight, tomorrow come what may.

Well we'll be okay- it will be an adjustment and she'll take her time looking for a new (and hopefully better) job.

Life goes on!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Ugh. That's a hard row to hoe. Let's hope the job market obeys. (As it must, right?!)

Comment

• In the end it might all be for the best. I'm guessing she wasn't totally happy there? It's always a relief to get past the inevitable.
        My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Bummer about the job!! I hope she can find something that is way better! Tell her we are thinking of her and will look forward to hearing how it works out!!! Glad to hear you are doing so well with the walking - and great timing on paying for the training! It would have been hard to pay that out knowing you were going to a one income season!
          Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
          Primal low: 186 lbs
          Current weight: 221.4 lbs
          Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words everybody. It is true that she didn't really like her job, so it is no great loss there, she just wanted to hang onto it until retirement (8 years or so) or until Boy is finished with High School (10 years).

I like my job and because it is a family business it is as secure as any job is.

I'm encouraging her to take the summer off, relax and think about what kind of work she would like to do. But she'll ultimately decide what she wants to do, and I'll support her decision.

I just got back from training and had a really good, hard, heavy and sweaty workout! It was exactly what I wanted. This week as this whole job thing unfolded and with it all the stress, it was nice to flip tires, push sleds, swing kettle balls, run and sweat the blues out of me.

By the way, I saw an interesting TED talk about eating to starve cancer. It's worth the 24 minutes to watch.

William Li: Can we eat to starve cancer? - YouTube
            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
              Thanks for the kind words everybody. It is true that she didn't really like her job, so it is no great loss there, she just wanted to hang onto it until retirement (8 years or so) or until Boy is finished with High School (10 years).

I like my job and because it is a family business it is as secure as any job is.

I'm encouraging her to take the summer off, relax and think about what kind of work she would like to do. But she'll ultimately decide what she wants to do, and I'll support her decision.

I just got back from training and had a really good, hard, heavy and sweaty workout! It was exactly what I wanted. This week as this whole job thing unfolded and with it all the stress, it was nice to flip tires, push sleds, swing kettle balls, run and sweat the blues out of me.

By the way, I saw an interesting TED talk about eating to starve cancer. It's worth the 24 minutes to watch.

William Li: Can we eat to starve cancer? - YouTube
              Happy Father's Day!! You're one of the good ones

You also seem like a fabulous partner in life.
              I love a supportive man.

Comment

• Hope you had a great Fathers Day! Your wife is a lucky woman. If I lost my job I'd just kill myself, figure it would be easier than starving to death.

Comment

• I did have a nice day on Father's Day! I went to play tennis with our friends, SWMBO's best friend and her husband. He's a good bit younger than I am, but we are fairly evenly matched, tennis-wise. I've been reluctant to play too much because of my shoulder and elbow, but I decided to give it a try. I haven't played since last summer but I was surprised at how well I did! :-) I'm much faster and had way more energy. I'm looking forward to playing more. It didn't even hurt too much.

We went to the outlaws for dinner and Surprise! Surprise! They had just begun to repaint their huge gunnite swimming pool and they had an extra brush for me! That was three hours of back-breaking labor in the blistering heat painting a 20x40 in-ground pool with a 12-foot diving well... I had to wear sunglasses and over those I wore those wraparound sun-goggles that the AARP issues to octogenarians just to see where to paint! The stuff is like gloppy-sandy plaster, bright white and heavy! But we finished and it came out well.

My reward was getting to grill the most beautiful rib-eye steaks I've ever seen for the family. They weren't grass-fed, but they were huge and delicious!

I'm sore everywhere today! Tennis apparently uses muscle groups that trainer-cliff is unaware of... my back and neck are sore from bending over and painting all afternoon. But all in all it was a nice day.

SWMBO is doing alright, cycling between relief that she doesn't have to go to work, fear of the future, self recrimination for a thousand imagined failings that might've brought this on and anger. Today we looked at cars during my lunch-hour and I heard bits of it all.

I guess it's a process. Being an engineer, I just want to dive in and fix things- but I have learned (the hard way) that it's better if I just let her work through it herself at her own pace.

It'll be alright eventually!
                  Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Just got back from training, it was really good! We did a complex of upper body exercises with a barbel which always works my shoulder and I believe it is finally showing signs of improvement :-). We also worked a good bit on my running, I'm still very slow and plodding and don't have good endurance. Aside from all of the obstacles, the warrior dash race is essentially a 5k run.

I haven't really been doing the C25K because on my days off from training I am always very sore and tired. But I guess I will have to step it up a bit...literally! The race is 90 days from today, so I can be officially training for it.

I'm also surprised that I haven't lost any more weight. I'm hovering right around 227-230 on any given day. I have a feeling that I am consuming more calories of fat than I guess, primarily in the form of nuts. I snack on nuts too much and I weighed one of The handfuls that I grab throughout the evening most nights and it weighed 1oz! I probably do that 3-4 times most evenings. At 165 calories an ounce, that's 660 calories just there! Healthy yes, but still too much.

That plus cream in my coffee, plus butter, lard, CO and EVOO liberally used in cooking and I'm likely adding 1000 more calories than I am "imagining" I am eating.

So I'll have to go back to dieting basics to see if I can drop more weight in the next 90 days.
                    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I'm sure you are right - I am in that same boat myself. I keep thinking I would like to lose a solid 10 lbs. - but the reality of really being aware of everything I eat keeps me from reaching that goal.

Running is the one thing I haven't really pursued in this phase of my life. I used to be quite the avid runner! But it has little appeal to me now. If there was a running club around here, I would be interested. Funny how now I like to exercise with other people around me. Back in the day I was definitely a solitary exerciser.

Any chance that SWMBO might want to take up running while she is on sabbatical?

Comment

• Last night our town had their annual fireworks display. I live very close to where they shoot them off, so everybody around us has big picnics then walks to the beach at the point and watches them, though we could see them from our back yard. We had three couples over with their children. It was a last minute thing, one of the other couples brought hamburgers and hot dogs.

It was a lot of fun, but not very Paleo. I got the 20 of my 80/20 in one meal! Today will be better, we are all wiped out because we were all up past midnight. Because we are so close to the fireworks, people park their cars all up and down the streets in our neighborhood and every house has people over and they all want to leave at one time! It's always a mess! The display ended at 10:00 and there was a mass exodus of people walking home or to their cars and then snarled traffic for an hour and a half. Our friends stayed late to avoid sitting in their cars going nowhere. But it was really fun.

Besides being tired and a bit sore from yesterday's training I feel fine, despite eating poorly. Really the only bad thing I ate was a hamburger roll, and some pasta salad.

Onward!
                        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I am happy to report that my running is beginning to improve! We have been working (at training) on Tabata sprint intervals, I'm up to 4 cycles. And we've been working on form to build speed. On my off days I have been continuing with the C25K program trying to utilize what I've learned at training. I have noticed some improvement.

I have noticed that with the C25K program, the fact that I can listen to music helps. I can't do that really during races, but it shows me that at least part of my problem with running is psychological rather than physical. When my mind is occupied with the music I stop noticing the voluntary discomfort that I am experiencing.

I'm sure that Grok's motivations for running (catching dinner and avoiding being somebody else's dinner) provided good impetus to keep running and run fast. Likely there wasn't much time for inner dialogue "let's just make it to the end of the fence..."

My running is entirely voluntary and as such there is much time for debating my motivations while running. This generally does not add to the experience. Music tends to drown out the inner debate.

I am at the level (in C25K) where you run for a minute and a half, then walk for two minutes. 8 cycles. I can easily do this now :-).

Eating is good, sleep is good, pain level is getting better. My feet still hurt every AM until I walk awhile to loosen them up, then they're mostly fine. Shoulder and arm pain is more manageable. Soon SWMBO and Boy and I will meet after work for swimming at the State Park beach, hopefully that will help somewhat too.
                          Last edited by DCarr10760; 06-25-2014, 04:33 AM.
                          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I had a nice, productive weekend. I spent most of it tiling the entryway. It is among the last phases of this seemingly never-ending project. It seems never-ending because I haven't really felt like working on the house since I started with the personal training.

But now I'm in a good place with the training and it's not my entire focus any more. My fitness level is good enough at this point that I'm not constantly in pain recovering from the last workout. So I have enough energy to do projects.

It's all good. :-)
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Sounds like your summer is in full swing - here too! I'm already tired of the fireworks. Some rich person puts on a display every night, it seems. These displays can be more elaborate than the municipal one, which has a budget. I'm just glad my cats don't mind.

I was thinking of running but now it is too hot! I'm a wimp with heat.

Comment

• We have some of that too (rich folks with their own displays). I don't mind it as much as our cat and Boy, (who is concerned about gunfire- the sad lingering effects of Sandy Hook).

But summer is certainly in full swing! I'm actually having problems with eating, since a lot of summertime foods are grilled and often hamburgers and hot dogs. I buy GF both, but I really like them on rolls. I don't miss bread at other times, but I haven't figured out a good substitute for bread in these situations. Typically I'll have one with the bread and just enjoy it. But I have to find a better solution. I bought some white Einkorn flour and will experiment a bit. Making the best of a bad thing.

Last Thursday I ran an obstacle course after work, one that trainer Cliff sets up for his clients to prepare them for the Warrior Dash in Sept. It was really hot and humid. After about a minute I was drenched in sweat and then I didn't mind so much.

It's like wearing shoes that are too small, it feels so good when you stop!
                                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

Working...
                                X