Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 EEE?!?!?!?!? My mind is boggled!

Just reading about that workout makes me tired and sore!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Yeah...I don't tip over easily ;-)

The workouts were pretty brutal, then I had my normal one on Friday and we did heavy squats, I'm up to 225lbs for my max lift which I'm happy about. We do not do max lifts very often, maybe once a month, so it's nice to see gains. Of course I am very tired and sore in the quads and hamstrings today, but no lower back so my form is good! :-)

My weight is still up high, I figured I'd have lost some this week because I have been really dieting. But the fact is that I haven't weighed myself since mid-December, so no telling what I weighed a week ago. I may have lost weight. My clothes are fitting well again, so that's the best indication that positive things are happening. The weight will come off soon enough.

This was the first week without drinking! It went fine. All of my drinking buddies are tea-totaling as well, which makes it easier. There was a high school reunion mixer on Wednesday, but I skipped it so as not to be tempted with drink or food.

This weekend is chores mostly, installing some French doors in the front hallway and puttering in the garage now that the weather isn't so brutally cold. I'd best get to it!

DC
      Height: 5' 10"
      Starting Weight: 292
      Starting Primal Weight: 275
      Current weight: 224
      Goal weight: 172
      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I've gone 13 days without drinking. I'm taking it day by day. I travel tomorrow and may choose to have a glass of my favorite Malbec with my steak.

I mix either Perrier or club soda with some pomegranate juice and a squeeze of fresh lime in my wine glass when I'm feeling "left out."
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• I stopped several years ago because one would always lead to two, two to five, so I tested myself to see if I could go a year without even an ice cold Heineken after yard work. I did it and after 19 months had a glass of champagne at a wedding. Now I can have a single glass of wine, beer or a mixed drink and I will not allow myself or anyone else to convince me to have another. Friends will say, I know, I know, one is your limit. It sounds lame, but water really is a good substitute.

Comment

• Not drinking (or cutting way back) is a really good way to save money. Seems like anything alcoholic worth drinking is $$$$$$$. Or maybe I just have really good taste.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Lol likely you have very good taste!

So far I've been able to cut way back. I wrote a long response about my feelings on drinking, but somehow it got lost when I posted it and it wasn't saved :-(. No matter, it was mostly to help me understand my relationship with alcohol. The gist of it is that I enjoy drinking, and I have cut way back from how much I used to drink. But since drinking interferes with my health goals, I need to cut back more until my weight loss is back on track.

The financial benefit is an added bonus, although I have enough hooch in the house to last a year I think. Oddly enough I very rarely drink at home. Only when we have friends over. It's when I go to parties or out at work functions where there's an issue.
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I am ashamed to say that when I am somewhere with an open bar I have trouble holding back. This is especially problematic because I am almost always driving on these occasions. But I only drink wine, which vanishes quickly under certain circumstances! At home it is no problem to hold myself to an occasional glass. But if it is a social situation and someone else is paying, yikes. This is embarrassing because it is so, well, low class. Luckily (or maybe not) these situations are few and far between these days.

Comment

• Well the cost of drinking out is just crazy. I'm more often the guy buying the drinks than I am the one for whom drinks are bought... I really overdid it this holiday season money-wise. I have no regrets because I had a great time, but my charge bills were ahem... Sobering.

Just got back from the gym. I am really tired and I've been sleeping pretty well. This grey drizzly weather might have something to do with it. Ugh!
                  Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Spent the morning going through the freezer in the basement and preparing for the weeks meals. I found a bag of marrow bones I had forgotten about so I put them under the broiler and had some of the marrow (yum!) the rest went into the crock pot where I had pot roast going and will make some bone broth after.

This is the first weekend in awhile that I have little planned so I can do nice little maintenance chores and cook up a bunch of food for the week. I re- read The Perfect Health Diet and am realizing that it's pretty much what I am doing (when I am being careful).

I had my weigh-in at the gym and was 239 :-). Still up over my summertime low (on my signature block) but am losing 2 lbs a week, which is great! I am pleasantly sore from my workout last night and since the summer I have made significant gains in all of my lifts.

My shoulder is getting better in tiny increments. I am able now to lift my arm above shoulder height without intense pain and I can even do some light weight bearing exercises with it. We're going real slow to build up strength gradually and it's working. I still have discomfort at night (it's hard to get in a comfortable position) but it's definitely better than it was last year.

Have a pleasant weekend all!

David
                    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• It was a really stressful week, nothing bad personally, but at work I had a big project due, I did finish it-yay! I had several customer issues which necessitated hours of conference calls, writing troubleshooting sequences and calming down angry customers and our own engineering staff! It all worked out well enough and everybody is now happy or at least satisfied. But it was a lot of stress.

Due to the weather on Tuesday, training was rescheduled for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and this week we had another extra session on Thursday for the Warrior Training. So I am sore today! Last night when I got home from training I was as tired as I ever remember being. I went to bed as soon as Boy fell asleep and slept until 7:30! A thing unheard of!

Training has gone really well though! I'm up to two good pull ups and a third partial, and my weight has dropped well closer to my summertime low. One day I was at training, last Friday I think, and it struck me that I am paying a lot of money for this training and have committed the time for it so to give anything less than 100% would be foolishness. So I have worked harder each session. Trainer Cliff noticed right away and rewarded me with harder work to do!

I haven't gotten out to walk at all since this unworldly cold settled upon us. Yesterday it was 4-degrees F outside when I woke up. People have not shoveled their sidewalks and the walking is dangerous. I've made more of an effort to walk at work, but it doesn't add up to much according to my fitbit.

All in all I feel like I am making progress which had helped enormously in keeping my mood light during this darkest of Winters! :-)
                      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I am so impressed with how different this winter is for you Dave! Amazing the difference your workouts and food have made - really proud of your progress in so many areas! Woo hoo!
                        Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                        Primal low: 186 lbs
                        Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                        Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Glad to hear things are going well. My activity is down as well - this bitter cold, snow and ice is deterring me from going outdoors. And it can be hard to make myself even go out, which is bad. It just occurred to me that I should have signed up for a class of some sort at the Y, that would get me out!

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words all! :-)

Yes this winter (despite the insane cold and snow) has been much easier for me than most. Of course I chalk this up to working out and taking better care of myself (which is pretty much the same thing). It's interesting the way that it works. It seems everything is better, I'm getting along better with my family, I'm happier at work, and I feel better physically. I suppose any one of these things could be seen as the reason for my better mood, but instinctively I know that it all stems from feeling better about myself because I have made a priority of being healthier.

It's been the root cause of my troubles all along, but it's been hard to accept and I have, in the past, wasted time trying to fix symptoms, rather than the root cause. This has amounted to "Rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic."

:-)
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Sounding good David! Are you guys loaded with snow at the moment? I love the idea of rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic!! Going to use that one of these days!
                              Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                              Primal low: 186 lbs
                              Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                              Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Hi Folks!

I'm still alive! Still fighting winter depression, it's got a bit worse. I was in California for a week, as I always am the week of Valentine's Day. Generally the trip lifts my mood, just being in the sun and the warm, it has provided a respite just when I needed it and when I got back it seemed as if the worst of the Winter was over. But this year a bad storm hit while I was gone, and SWMBO really suffered with all the shoveling and I felt guilty not being there to help. It snowed again the night I returned and I battled my way home from JFK in NYC to drop off my cousin and the car I left at her place was buried and plowed in, so I took the company car home.

It snowed again the next day when I returned the car and I was stranded at her house until the plows came. It snowed again this week and my son was in a scuffle with a snow bank and it popped his tire and threw the car out of alignment... Sigh.

So I'm not sure the week away made anything easier.

Everybody at home and work is tired and grumpy, including me! I'm trying hard just to get through each day without being too unpleasant. At least the next few days will be in the 40's here in CT. It will be a nice change of pace to see mud instead of snow and ice! :-)

I can't wait to get outside and do some walking!

Weight is good, food is good. I overindulged a bit in CA, but that weight is all but off of me. My weight training is going well, a week away from it helped with my shoulder and last night we had warrior training and I was able to do the jungle gym across twice each circuit (3) which is a first! So that's good.

Despite all of my whining and complaining I am in such a better place than I have been in years past. Soon the winter will be over, it will get warm again and the sun will shine. I'll be in a better condition to really enjoy that when it comes.
                                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

Working...
                                X