Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I woke up at 4:00 AM again to try once more to see the Perseids, the sky was still cloudy, but there were breaks that afforded glimpses of stars enough to give me some hope to see shooting stars. I spent a thoroughly peaceful hour gazing at the heavens and eventually did see one. Just one. But it was really lovely outside in the pre-dawn hour.

At first I was surprised at how quiet the world is at that hour, but as time went on I was amazed just how noisy it really is! I could clearly hear the interstate, two miles away, along with the more natural sounds of crickets and the cicadas that have returned.

I went back to sleep on the couch and had vivid dreams.

I'm a bit sleepy today though!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I saw two meteors through my skylights. I wish there had been more. I think that means I get two wishes.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• yup you get two!!

I need a wish, to heal my #$%@$# shoulder! My Monkey bar antics have reinjured it again and all the progress I've made strengthening it seems to have been wasted. We spent last night's training stretching it out and working on lower body and core stuff. It feels a little better today but is quite sore and very weak. It has affected my sleep, making everything worse! The injury was masked by the DOMS I was feeling.

I've also made a few decisions that are related to this. I'm going to stop the intermittent fasting until it heals up. I've also been really tired and lethargic and I think that it is due to being in a caloric deficit all of the time and working out hard. I don't seem to recover very quickly. Interestingly this was the subject of Marks blog post today (Timely!)

The slow recovery time could be due to my age :-( but I'm going to give the IF a break for a couple of weeks and focus on strengthening the shoulder.

So today I had:

B: 2 egg omelet, 1 T Butter, 1 Peach
        L: Curried chicken and summer squash- a smallish serving, 1 Apple
        Dinner will be Pork chops, cauliflower, and a big S salad.

I'll shoot for about 2500 calories.
        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Sending healing {{{{{{vibes}}}}}}} to the shoulder. That is a pain! Literally! I injured my shoulder doing yoga of all things a few years ago, what an annoyance that was.

Very nice food you had today. I've been reading curry recipes lately...hmmmmm....

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I can so sympathize.. reached around like I was Mr. Bendy one night in bed reading, OMG left shoulder hurt for months. DH said rotator cuff injury, it healed but took its sweet time.. I couldn't flip from side to side so sleep was miserable, I actually hurt the other shoulder because I couldn't switch sides. Hope yours gets better soon, guy, I feel for ya

Comment

• Thanks! Everyone! :-) it is beginning to feel better, a little. It still wakes me up every time I turn in bed, interrupting my sleep, first because of the pain, then because I need to experiment with different positions that don't hurt... Sigh. But last night was better. I moved into one of the little guest beds, so I wouldn't keep SWMBO up with my gymnastics and because the mattress there really is more comfortable. In the big bed we have a Temperpedic and I've never found it very comfortable.

But, besides being tired, I am feeling a wee bit better today.
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I saw another meteor last night, so you got a wish for your shoulder!

Comment

• Thanks! Siobhan! It feels a bit better tonight. It always feels better after my workout, then the next day it hurts. But the injury feels better.

Tonight we did pulling exercises but he was careful to avoid stressing the shoulder. Then we did a whole bunch of shoulder stretching exercises.

It feels better :-)

Today is Boy's eighth birthday! I had a small piece of cake and my tummy is singing loudly to me as I drift off...
                  Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Happy Birthday Boy! Ouch tummy and ouch shoulder!

Comment

• Well, today my shoulder feels better, at least in comparison with the rest of my body. But it may just be that the rest of me is more sore. :-)

Yesterday was a "pulling day" focusing on pulling exercises. So he has a big truck tire that he stacks Olympic plates on that is chained to a belt that I wear around my waist and drag around the building, both walking forward and backwards. Other exercises included various rowing exercises and some rope pulls. Being mindful of my shoulder.

My workouts are always (I've discovered) either "pull days" or "push days" or core work days. It's always different, changing around in terms of the specific exercises.

It's so different from the way I used to work out in the old days, which was really more about body-building and circuit training. This way, "functional training" is way more fun. It almost seems like it's not much of a workout except the next morning I am sore, so it was.

I did have a long talk about eating and nutrition with Trainer-Cliff. I've stopped with the IF and have already noticed a difference in both my overall energy level and my energy level during training. He noticed it and suggested that on training days I increase my calories a bit further, maybe 500 calories. I'll give it a try.

Once I have stopped losing weight, I will do the IF again, I really enjoyed it. I may still have a fasting day once a week. It looks like my training schedule might change from Tues-Thurs-Sat to Tues-Thurs-Fri. Which would allow me to have a longer rest and would allow for a fasting day.

So many options...
                      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• It's so cool that your trainer is on board with your eating plan and everything. I still don't have anyone I can talk to about it.

I enjoy IF too, although not to the degree that you do, but I have to stop during times of higher stress/sleep deprivation etc. It's definitely a cruise control kind of thing for me when everything is in place. Which does actually happen quite a bit!

Comment

• Well I was doing the IF both for convenience (only having to worry about making one meal a day) and for weight loss. Everywhere it is said that fasted workouts burn more fat. Trouble is that I wasn't able to give my all to my workouts because I was underfed and had little energy. But what worried me the most was that my recovery period between workouts was so long that I felt tired and sore pretty much all of the time.

Eating more has made that better, I think.

Today my shoulder feels much better, I just have to be careful now not to go too heavy with it.

Last night the old crew (that I used to go out with last summer) and I went out to celebrate my Eldest son's raise and promotion. Several of us are on diets and we haven't been going out so much lately (plus, we all sort of overdid it last year). It was fun! We went to a Seafood place with a great raw bar, I had a dozen raw clams (7 calories each) and a smallish lobster. I did have two beers and a bite of apple tart with homemade vanilla ice cream.

Something upset my tummy, either the flour in the tart crust or the beer. I also had an espresso and I believe it kept me from sleeping well. I've never really been sensitive to caffeine at night, but this past week I've had several sleepless nights and the worst of them were when I had coffee with dinner or after dinner. I'm going to quit it for a while and see what difference it makes.
                          Last edited by DCarr10760; 08-17-2013, 07:24 AM.
                          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Last night I slept better than I have in several weeks. I didn't have any coffee after 2:30 and limited iPad use, stopping altogether at 8:00. I slept deeply and only woke once in the night because my shoulder was sore and in an awkward position. Hopefully this is the start of a trend!

No tennis today, probably a good thing, but I do miss it. Our friends,who we play with, are on vacation and Boy's lesson is cancelled because the instructor is working the Pilot Pen Tournament and is busy there.

I'm going to take a walk later. I've been bad about walking, mostly because I haven't been waking up early enough because I've been sleeping poorly and not getting up. I'm going to commit to walking every day, now that my sleeping has (hopefully) been resolved.
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Another benefit of walking, as I am sure you know, is the sun exposure. I'm off for a walk myself right now, although I got enough sun yesterday for a whole month!

Comment

• Nothing much to report. The weekend was good, ate properly. Trying to keep calories up! (imagine). It's still hard for me to eat breakfast, I'm not hungry and I don't really have time with getting SWMBO and Boy up and out the door. This AM I ate an avocado. I meant to eat some eggs but never did.

Had a big S salad for lunch with some chicken.
                                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

Working...
                                X