Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw him in Manon!

Great pic! Wow, does that ever take me back...the clothes...the hair...those fresh faces...I sang "Day by Day" a very long time ago...
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Cool!

Dave gives concerts here in CT from time to time. He lives here still when he's not off traveling. I've been to several of his concerts through the years and I saw him on Broadway when he was doing "South Pacific," I'm somewhat ashamed to say I've never seen him in an Opera, though I've had plenty of chances. I've been to several Operas over the years and I always enjoy it, so I don't know why I haven't gone to see him.

I'll have to make a better effort.
      Height: 5' 10"
      Starting Weight: 292
      Starting Primal Weight: 275
      Current weight: 224
      Goal weight: 172
      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• YOU HAVE TO GO!!!! Is he at the Met in the coming season? GO!

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I will! He said he had some things going on next year but on his website there's nothing this year. He is playing Arthur in "Camelot" at Glimmerglass this month, but I can't go, weekends are all booked through the end of the run. :-( He did sing, "How to handle a woman" from Camelot at the concert, so that was good.

Not much to report in my world. Food has been fine. Lots of socializing, just lately, which makes eating hit or miss. Mostly I can find something to eat, and if I can't, I just don't eat. That sort of freaks people out, and their big concern is, "don't you get hungry?" They say this with the same shock and fear as if they were concerned that I'd be hit by a bus!

Of course I do get hungry, but I've learned not to let it distract me, and not to fear it. In an odd way, I sort of enjoy it when it is by choice and I know sooner or later I will eat.

In my past I never really let myself get hungry, that's been the biggest change in my eating, I think.
          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• All this opera talk made me think of my cousin; he's a young opera singer in NYC, and apparently is really good. Like, the reviews I've looked up for him have been overwhelmingly of the "rave" variety. He sings countertenor, which I guess is pretty rare, has sung in Europe a bunch, was in the touring version of "Chicago", etc. I've seen him sing in a couple small shows when he was back home for the holidays, but really need to get up to NY and check him out sometime soon.

My knowledge of opera isn't zero...but it's something approaching that. Still, I appreciate people who are good at what they do, and who chase their dreams down and tackle them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
              I saw him in Manon!

Great pic! Wow, does that ever take me back...the clothes...the hair...those fresh faces...I sang "Day by Day" a very long time ago...
              Coincidently, the Woman who sang "Day by Day" in this production, was actually named "Siobhan" (we called her 'Von'). In the picture, she's in the first row, second from the right.
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                All this opera talk made me think of my cousin; he's a young opera singer in NYC, and apparently is really good. Like, the reviews I've looked up for him have been overwhelmingly of the "rave" variety. He sings countertenor, which I guess is pretty rare, has sung in Europe a bunch, was in the touring version of "Chicago", etc. I've seen him sing in a couple small shows when he was back home for the holidays, but really need to get up to NY and check him out sometime soon.

My knowledge of opera isn't zero...but it's something approaching that. Still, I appreciate people who are good at what they do, and who chase their dreams down and tackle them.
                Countertenors are kind of magical. At first it sounds like a woman is singing, and if you are actually watching the singer the effect is startling. But they have a depth and complexity to their voice that women just don't have. Last season the Met did Handel's Julio Ceseare which has not only a lead countertenor but two other major roles for that voice. Terrific production, one of my favorites.

Originally posted by DCarr10760 View Post
                Coincidently, the Woman who sang "Day by Day" in this production, was actually named "Siobhan" (we called her 'Von'). In the picture, she's in the first row, second from the right.
                She is my sister from a different mother!

Comment

• She was a beautiful girl, very talented and very cool. She got out of our little backwater town ASAP and I've never seen or heard from her since.

I went again to the little "Meat Hut" place again with Eldest, who now works for the family biz. This time I had the pulled pork sandwich, hold the sauce and the bread. It was good, but I think I preferred the brisket. I'm looking forward to working out after work. I've been fidgety all day. I slept really well yesterday, I hadn't had much sleep the night before so I went to bed early and dropped right off and slept hard all night.

Today I've mostly been sitting at my desk writing and have energy to burn!
                  Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Well karma struck! I said in my last post I had energy to burn. So tonight my trainer set up a mini obstacle course at his facility. He set up a climbing wall that I had to scale and a jungle gym that I had to hand over hand my way across while hanging. I did pretty well! It was a lot of fun! I would like to run a Warrior Dash next summer, so he said he would work on some of the obstacles that they typically have that he thought might be trouble for me.

I no longer have energy to burn! Good night!
                    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Sounds freakin awesome to me! I wish I was in condition to do something like the warrior dash. I'm hoping once I get a stronghold on life I can get my focus back on physical health.
                      SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
                      Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
                      Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
                      Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
                      Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
                      Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

• I was pretty stoked that I could do the drills he set up for me. He was surprised too! :-) My upper body strength is making improvements as my weight is getting lower. I'm not sure I'm going to reach my goal of doing an unassisted pull-up by September 1, but it won't be too much longer I don't believe. We had a lot to work on. My grip strength was an issue, and that has been getting much better. My bicep strength is making steady progress, but it is my core that has seen the biggest gains. I can plank for minutes now :-)
                        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Well all that good came at a considerable cost, DOMS!! My shoulders have been on fire! I had another workout Saturday, and we did mostly upper body stuff but not shoulders. But they are involved in nearly everything. My shoulders were still sore from Thursday's exertions. Last night they stiffened up again and kept me from sleeping soundly. They're better this morning and I did a set of band assisted pull ups and worked them a bit with my foam roller thingy and they are feeling better. I may go for a swim as that always helps, but mostly I'm going to rest today.
                          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Today will be a fasting day as well. This past week has been filled with social eating events, every single day either lunch or dinner out. I've been pretty good in terms of making good choices, given the options available, but still... So we went to a a Birthday party for one of Boy's classmates. We are close friends with her parents as well (we play tennis with them on Sundays). The husband is from Iran and so the food was going to be traditional Iranian fare, which I was looking forward to. I've had Lebanese food on several occasions, but not Persian (they refer to themselves as Persian). It was similar to Lebanese, simple, spiced food. There was pita bread and hummus (the best hummus I'd ever had), salad, and a chicken dish that seemed almost like pulled chicken meal in savory spices, not hot, but very tasty. Cumin was the major flavor, I think. But the dish that really excited me was rice and lentils, with very similar spices (similar to the chicken). I'm not sure why that dish drew me in but wow did it.

I know rice is marginal in PB and lentils are no-nos, but wow did I enjoy that! There was also garlic purée which was out of this world and several other spiced sauces for pouring over the meat, to make wraps or fill pittas. I avoided the bread, but had seconds on the rice lentil dish.

They don't drink at all and nothing was offered so I just had water. It was a really lovely evening!

However... My lower GI tract has been very noisily dealing with the food all night! It's part of the reason I didn't sleep well. I haven't had any real discomfort, though SWMBO and Boy have been maintaining a respectful distance ;-)

It was totally worth it though. But today, all day, and until tomorrow dinner I'll fast.
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Best laid plans...

I ended up not fasting yesterday, I reorganized the freezer, and found a nice rib-eye steak that I had forgotten about. So since SWMBO and Boy were at the Outlaws without me, I decided to cook it up along with some squash from the garden. It was wonderful. I pan-fried it in butter. Somebody on one of the forums here said that lean, grass-fed beef should be cooked slower at lower temps, so I tried that and it did seem more tender than I recall the other steaks from this same batch being.

So I ended the day at just over 1000 calories, by the time you add in some butter and onion.

Not fasting per se, but pretty clean eating for a rest day. My shoulder is still bothering me :-( but it is a bit better.

I woke up at 4:00 to see the meteor shower this AM, but the sky clouded up overnight and I couldn't see anything! :-(

Maybe tonight!
                              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Yeah, I was hoping I would be able to see meteors through my big skylights while lying in bed last night, but it was cloudy. Bummer. Maybe tonight.

I'm a big advocate of cooking meat at lower temps than other people seem to, but I keep quiet about it because it isn't popular. My Brazilian friends who know a thing or two about meat are horrified by the way we, in their opinion, burn up our meat. Having cooked meat both ways, I think they are right. Pork especially benefits from lower temps.

Very jealous of your workouts! You've made so much progress!

Comment

Working...
                                X