Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So today was my first real workout with my trainer. I think it went really well! We did a bunch of exercises in circuit training. All with a conscious effort to exhaust me (that worked) while not hurting my shoulder. Most of the exercises were quite Primal in nature, planking, lifting kettleballs, planking, walking up and down hill carrying a log over my head (okay the log was a 3-foot long capped drainpipe filled with sand) and more planks. We talked about nutrition and he's totally okay with what I am doing (which is good because I wouldn't change it anyway), and he seems like a generally nice guy.

I told him there are a couple of weeks when SWMBO will be away and is it okay to bring boy, and he said sure, his kids often come during the day when their Mom needs to be spelled.

So it's all good. I have a great sense of relief that I am finally doing something positive about my health and fitness :-D

I am however a sweaty sore shell of my former self, but in a good way!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• That sounds seriously fun although very hard!
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Yeah, he's all about core conditioning! Other than some light shoulder exercices with dumbbells, we didn't really do any weights at all. Most everything was done with body weight (which I have in abundance).

Speaking of weight, he took mine on his scale and it was 240. So only up 4 pounds from my low last summer! He said he'll take my weight periodically, so I won't. Problem solved!
        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• This is fantastic! I am really, really jealous. Hmmm, need to at least ask at the Y about personal trainers. We don't have any other gym here.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• There are actually a bunch of these places, small gyms owned by a Physical Therapist or Personal Trainer. The gyms often participate in these extreme fitness challenge competitions. But they (some of them also have regular clients, who pay the bills). There may well be something like it up your way. This place I found doing a web search for Personal Trainers.

It's expensive, compared to the Y, I'm a member there too, but I rarely go, we joined for SWMBO and Boy to swim. But I realized I needed my hand held a bit. Paying the money will help me take it seriously, I hate wasting money.

I feel good! But tired, nothing is sore yet, though my shoulders are really fatigued.

Next session on Tuesday after work!
            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• So only a little soreness in my shoulders and quads (lunges-ick!). Beyond that just the sort of pleasant stiffness that reminds you that you worked out.

I went again to Boy's tennis lesson and played a bit. I really have missed playing all of these years. Once again we met the same friends who took us to yet another tennis country club to see if we liked it. This is the clear winner of the three we've looked at. A beautiful place. We're going to inquire about joining, I think.

I'm going to go out for a walk now, though I did do some running around. I'm pretty tired, tomorrow will be a day of rest for me as I will be traveling for business all day and won't be able to fit a workout in at either end of the day, so it's a rest day.

I think I need it! :-)
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Do they have lots of indoor courts? So you can play through the winter?

Nothing wrong with a rest day!

Comment

• No, this is strictly a Memorial Day to Labor Day club. We do have those that are year round with indoor courts but they are twice as expensive and on top of the dues, you have to rent court time. Very pricey!
                  Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Mmmm wine and Spam!
                    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Hey! My spammer didn't leave a waving smiley! Or maybe they are recycling yours?

Comment

• Boy, miss a day and you're 4 pages back! Glad to see the forum is so active!

I went to golf tournament yesterday for work. I am not a golfer, at least not in the last twenty years. I was just there to help with the setup and registration and then just kibbetz with the players, hand out drinks etc. Later there was a reception and awards dinner that I (and a coworker) attended. It was fun, the rain held off.

After the registration in the morning, we had little to do so we went to lunch at an Indian place and I had Chicken Tikka Masala. (way better than what I make, but likely not as Primal). Dinner was typical banquet fare, baked stuffed shrimp and risotto, both bathed in buttery grease, colorless salad, with just enough steamed vegetables for the guests to be able to honestly tell their wives that they did eat their vegetables. If I were to have taken all of the vegetables off of every one of the ten plates at my table it would just about equal a normal portion for me.

Fortunately after lunch I wasn't all that hungry, so I just picked. Still, though I did my best to eat around the stuffing and obvious bad things, my stomach was upset all night and is tentative still.

One good thing is that I really have curbed my drinking. I had one beer at lunch, and another at dinner and that was it for the day. It doesn't seem like a triumph in sobriety on the face of it, but compared with my past efforts at functions like this (open bar), it is nearly teatotaling!

Go me!

Still a little soreness (DOMS) in my quads from Saturday's workout, tonight is another!
                        Last edited by DCarr10760; 06-11-2013, 06:11 AM.
                        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Go you indeed! There is nothing like being in control of what goes into you- especially when it has had power over you in the past.
                          SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
                          Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
                          Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
                          Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
                          Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
                          Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

• Yeah I do like being in control of my drinking. I've let myself go too far with alcohol too many times. As I get older I realize it was getting problematic. I do still enjoy it socially, but to be honest, beer is pretty much out, not very Primal. Wine I only like under very specific circumstances, like with Italian food, or Mediterranian Food. I get headaches from wine (Sulfites?) so I never drink very much. Whiskey? I'm trying to really cut back. I used to have a whiskey or two every day. Lately its been once every couple of weeks. Then only at social getherings where it's appropriate. Of course there was that bachelor party I went to a couple of weeks ago...

Everything in moderation...including moderation!
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Yesterday I had another workout. My shoulder is healing nicely, I'm being careful not to do things that aggravate it. I did however pull a glut muscle while doing a one legged squat, so we spent the last 10 minutes of the session learning some stretches to help it stay loose.

One of my challenges, it seems, is that while i'm pretty strong overall, some of my core muscles are pretty weak and that is what his focus is on, for this first round of sessions.

I did the stretches this morning, and took a walk, which helped it to loosen up. It doesn't really hurt much, just a bit of tightness.

Pain in the A**! ;-)
                              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Mmmm... Whisky. I'm right behind you on that buddy! I just pre-ordered 2 bottles 40 Creek Heart of Gold Reserve for pickup in September. So excited!
                                SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
                                Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
                                Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
                                Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
                                Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
                                Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

Working...
                                X