Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whew! Well I'm back! We had a last-minute opportunity to exhibit at a small trade show in Boston so I spent the week there. It was lots of fun actually. Though I am located equidistantly from Boston and New York, I rarely go to Boston and regularly go to NYC.

But Boston was really very nice. Great food! Easy to eat Primal, at least in the nicer restaurants. I had some beef carpaccio in a little sidewalk cafe that was one of the best appetizers of my life! I had some great Sushi on Newbury Street and since the people I was with were from Boston, I went to some nice places off of the beaten path.

lopisheep- Thanks for the kind words and welcome to my journal! :-)

Siobhan- Yep, the carnitas were long gone when I got home last night. I'll be making more soon I think! :-)
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I am very jealous! Boston is a great city. And a good place to be primal (although not as good as Maine - no raw dairy).

I'm going to eat the rest of my carnitas tonight.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Not much to report. Food is okay, still cant get my butt out the door to walk much. Mostly wanted to post so I don't have to look 20 pages back to find my journal whan I do have something to say! :-)

I hope nobody was personally affected by the bombings in Boston, and I hope for Peace.

David
        Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I have trouble motivating myself to walk for real exercise, although I like to stroll around the property here and I live on a beautiful road. The trouble with the road is that it is HILLY HILLY HILLY. Basically it has no flat spots at all. It's just a bit too vigorous all the time.

Feeling horrible about Boston. I know many people there, as I am sure you do also.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Yeah, so I spent the whole day feeling sad and discouraged about Boston, wanting to curl up in a ball and eat food that was bad for me. I didn't really want to talk about it, because it made the horror too real, too close.

I felt exactly the way I felt right after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown. That was Dec 14th, about the time I became depressed and abandoned eating well. I assumed it was my typical SAD BS, but it was more.

Apparently horror, sadness and the senseless slaughter of innocent people makes me want to sit on my couch and eat and drink bad foods and liquor. Slow suicide.

At least I know this about myself now, that's got to be good for something. Seeing all of the heroic people, how they selflessly risked their own lives to help others, that encourages me. Helps with the sadness. But I guess it takes time.

The night of the bombing, Monday, I had my first figure drawing class in the new term. Somehow drawing from the nude helped too. Escaping the cold, hard, world, filled with anguish and suffering and endeavoring to to draw a beautiful warm, naked woman somehow made me feel better. The drawings I did were better than usual. Something Primal there too; just on paper instead of a cave wall.

Picasso once said that what he learned from African Masks and other forms of so called Primitivism was that, "Painting is not an aesthetic process; it's a form of magic that interposes itself between us and the hostile universe" Now I get it.
            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• "Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one" - Stella Adler

So true, at least for me. And that is why I purchased a painting of a sunflower that really touched me even though I could barely afford groceries at the time. It's on the wall right next to me, above my computer so I can look at it 100 times a day. And the same is true of the dozen-odd other paintings I have here in my small apartment.

Did you ever just want to draw all over your walls? I wish I could do that.

Comment

• David, I'm probably overstepping myself here, but do you have someone to talk to about these feelings? Can you talk to SWMBO? This is really none of my business, but I have often noticed that spouses can be difficult to share certain feelings with. It seems to me that men often have good friends for watching sports or drinking beer, but can't really talk to them.

I'm female, but in my real life I have a lot problems sharing problems and thoughts that can be perceived as negative with my friends, so I can relate to this sort of thing.

Comment

• I do and I don't have people I can talk to. SWMBO isn't really very helpful, she would like to be, I think, but she's very practical, and looks for simple fixes to problems (often the answers are simple, but it's difficult getting to the answers).

In the past, I have seen therapists with good results, mostly.

You're right about male friends, we rarely get to a deep personal level. At least not when sober and drunken confessions are so hard to recall, hungover, in the morning.

I have had women friends who I could talk to, but to bare one's soul completely has for me (at least) invited romantic involvement, which muddies the water and adds new problems.

I do keep a journal, which does help, at least to crystallize my own thinking and this journal helps also. This past winter was so much worse (for me) than others, some of the reasons were apparent to me, but being shaken to the core early-on by the Newtown Massacre didn't really occur to me until the feelings I was feeling about the Boston bombing reminded me and then it became clearer.

Drawing and painting does help. I've wandered away from Art for the past 25 years, but at one time it was the only thing I wanted to do. I went to art school and later went for theater. But life, children relationships all distracted me. I'm trying to get back into it slowly.

Here's a recent painting, entiltled "Evening News"

Evening news.jpg
                  Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• That is beautiful! Two things really strike me: your use of color and the superior composition. Obviously you have a gift. I hope you stay with it and see where it takes you.

My own artistic talent is limited, but had circumstances been different in my life, I think I would have been an excellent agent. I remember sitting in Art Appreciation 101 as a freshman at university, listening to the professor drone on about the Great Masters, etc., and thinking, "How would I market that piece?" and "I think I could have made Van Gogh a success in his own lifetime!"

I have the same problems with my male friends; often I think the rules are well established, but in confiding things, those rules get blurred somehow. And unfortunate circumstance. Although as a woman, I can have gay male friends who are shockingly good judges of tragic romance.

My advice, although you didn't ask for it: work at your art and start entering shows. Or maybe you are already doing this?

Comment

• What a lovely piece, David. I really like the interior illumination contrasted with the sky, just nestled into the dark shell of the house.

Comment

• Quiet beauty.. And looks like a man painted it.
                        Keep it going.

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words, I haven't painted in months, but I've been drawing. Funny, JudyCr, I once entered a local show, some years ago now, with a pair of daffodil paintings that I had done from flowers growing in my garden. During the opening reception I was listening to some of the comments people made, which were generally positive when this pair of women looked at The pair. I could tell that they liked them, but the only remark I could hear was "You can tell a man painted it because they are so masculine looking!" I thought it an interesting comment.
                          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• D, I saved the image in my iPad, showed it to DH where it took up whole screen, he said, very nice, I like the lamp on

Comment

• Beautiful painting David! I love the contrasts in the blue versus yellow light inside and then the shadows and night sky - a very peaceful picture to my eyes anyway. Thank you for sharing that with us - I bet you could sell a bunch of pictures!
                              Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                              Primal low: 186 lbs
                              Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                              Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Do you still have the painting, or have you sold it? It would make a wonderful print.

Comment

Working...
                                X