Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Blueprint Journal DCarr10760 (David)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to see you back, David. Onward!

Comment

• Hi Folks!

Thanks for all the welcome-backs! Yesterday was a good day, eating wise. Today has been too. I haven't really been eating too much due to still having a cold and I believe a sinus infection :-( But as far as food choices go, all has been Primal so far.

Most of my cheating in the dark months has been bread related, that and Italian Ices (odd choice of cheat foods for the dead of Winter). Apart from those things, my eating has been reasonably Primal, subject to my normal challenges (alcohol).

I never really stopped eating healthy foods, just started reintroducing unhealthy ones, so I hope that the re-entry into healthful eating will be easy.

Excercise is where I fell most fully off the wagon. I haven't taken an intentional walk this year yet. About the time of the blizzard I wanted to but the snow put an end to that. Ive had bursts of activity (shoveling snow, helping folks move, airport travel, but all too little and nothing intentional.

As soon as the rest of the snow melts and the rain stops I'll get back to it.
      Last edited by DCarr10760; 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM.
      Height: 5' 10"
      Starting Weight: 292
      Starting Primal Weight: 275
      Current weight: 224
      Goal weight: 172
      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I have the same odd craving - in the winter I always want ice cream or some type of frozen dessert concoction. I gave into it one time, I bought a pint of locally-made coconut ice cream and powered through it in two days. But you know, it wasn't even that good. And the food co-op has a blood orange sorbet which is wonderful but exorbitantly expensive. So I usually buy a blood orange instead.

Can you do some exercise with the offspring?
        My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Okay for me it's potatoes.......
          Female 55
          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Siobhan- Cute! "Powered through it in two days." Sadly, for me thats typically a single serving. We try not to keep ice cream in the house at all because I'm not good at controlling myself with it. The Italian Ices are purchaced for boy (ostensibly) but fall prey to everyone in the house. I haven't had one since Sunday, so...

Pedidoc- Well that is healthier than the bread I think. I like potatos just fine and if they were around me always, cooked and ready to eat (like bread is) I would likely prefer them. SWMBO does lunch meetings as part of her job and there is often leftover food, which she brings home. Often this includes white flour tortillas, which Boy likes. Having a stack of these always at the ready has been problematic for me as it is easy to grab one or two of these at every meal or snack, to wrap anything healthy I might otherwise be eating. I was up to 6 - 8 a day, which is nearly 1000 calories of garbage. I was carb cycling big time with those. ugh...

Today my cold symptoms are a bit better and I slept better last night. Its a Sunny Day, here in CT! so it gets better by degrees.

All I can ask.
            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Hah, well I am not a very big person! Isn't it amazing how those carbs creep in and up? Funny how fats and protein just don't do that. Especially when you consider how calorie dense fats are, in the absence of carbs you just can't eat that much of it.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• It is amazing! I was eating one of the tortillas last week with some chili and was finishing one up and while eating it I realized, they really have very little flavor, so I guess that what I like about them is the chewyness, and the convenience. In winter I just don't want to take the time to do much prep. There they are, sitting neatly stacked in their bag.

Except for too many carbs in the form of bread, and sweets, the rest of my eating is still pretty Primal so there isn't too much to undo, thankfully.

Last night, on my way home, I stopped for the first time at the fancy new meat market that opened up downtown. They have nice looking and very pricey meats. They have a few cuts that were marked grass fed but the price was 23 bucks a pound for strips! Yikes. I have a freezer filled with GFB averaging $5/lb. Still, I decided to buy 2 small steaks to give it a try. But when I got home SWMBO had brought fancy chicken salads from a lunch she organised that was under-attended. So the steaks will be tried tonight! :-)

As for exercising, I've decided to start walking again. This morning I drove along my usual route on my way to work and it is probably 90% clear of snow. We had huge plow drifts following the blizzard in February that will probably still be around at Easter! But yesterday I actually felt like walking, which hasn't happened in months.
                Last edited by DCarr10760; 03-14-2013, 07:02 AM.
                Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Welcome back David!! So glad you have survived the winter blues and are seeing the light again! I would imagine that it is very hard to avoid things like tortillas when you are presented with them and they are so convenient! I saw somewhere that someone uses fried egg whites to make a tortilla type wrap ... I have been thinking of trying it since tortilla fillings are so yummy. Glad you are feeling more like walking - I have had the flu and am also thinking of starting with a nice gentle walk this afternoon ... the kids are itching to get out on their scooters
                  Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                  Primal low: 186 lbs
                  Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                  Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Ah, walking, the antidote to most of our ills! I am pleased to be doing a bit more of it myself now that the ground is visible!

The convenience and the texture of carb-y things are quite a winning combo. I have given in and am making tapioca cheese bread rounds to make sammies and even to toast and eat with butter. I was afraid to do this because I would eat them ALL in short order, but allowing myself to have one a day seems to be working. I don't go mad when they come out of the oven as I used to when they were a sometime treat.

Comment

• Well just knowing that you can eat a pint of ice-cream over the course of two days shows me that you have an iron will. Mine is... somewhat less strong :-/

Though, in my own defense, when I am fully commited to eating correctly I can ignore or avoid the temptations easily enough. But when I fall off the wagon for whatever reason I do have a history of binge eating. It's really self destructive.

I guess the biggest difference for me is that I am convinced PB/Paleo is the way to go forever, where in the past each time I gained weight back after a successful diet I'd try some new one- essentially starting over.
                      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• You put your finger right on it - I know this is the way to eat (and live) and I look forward to eating this way the rest of my life, unlike previously when I would be in a bit of a panic wondering how I was going to maintain an unsatisfying diet and ever-increasing amounts of chronic cardio so as not to regain weight - which of course never worked. And I will always be a carb-a-holic. Knowing that makes it easier though, as knowing one's weakness and what to do about countering it is very powerful.

I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary! If you would have told me a year ago that I would be 40 lbs lighter and constantly eliciting comments about my 'anorexia' I would have thought you were crazy!

Comment

• Wow 40 lbs! Thats wonderful!

So yesterday was my first really controlled Primal eating day, though I've been 75% - 80% all week.

I cannot shake this cold! I'm thinking (I often over think things) that catching this cold was a tipping point. I get sick and tired of being sick and tired and vow to make changes. While I was eating Primally I didn't get sick (I don't think) but this Winter I've had two colds and the flu! So it is useful impetus to get on the straight and narrow path again.

Yesterday I slept 10 hours! I thought it would help more than it appears to have. I'll do it again tonight and every night until I am well again.

I am also going to take some easy walks to see if some movement will shake things up a bit. First one, today at lunch. The snow is gone from most of my lunchtime route so it's safe.

Onward!
                          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I think you have an excellent plan, David. And I think you're right about the illnesses. In my own n=1 experience being primal is huge in terms of avoiding colds, etc. Despite being in the thick of things during this rather trying cold and flu season, I sailed through with no problem. I know one person's experience is hardly definitive, but hey, it worked and I'm not going to complain. Out of nine people in my department, I was the only one who did not spend at least a week being quite ill.

Cold today but very sunny. When I look out the windows at the fir trees, it could be summer! Still, it is not my imagination that spring is in the air, despite the cold.

Comment

• Well I did walk during lunch! Yay! I did it with a vigor that surprised me. It's as you describe it here too- cold and crisp and sunny. My walk takes me near to the water for a mile or so. There's a row of fancy homes blocking the view of it, but the coast peeks through here and there. It looks like a beautiful day out there. It was nice, and I returned breathing heavily with a nice glow. I think I am feeling a bit better too, cold-wise :-)
                              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Mmm... I would kill to live near water

I'll have to settle for out in the country one day! I'd be more than ok with that!
                                SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
                                Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
                                Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
                                Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
                                Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
                                Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

Working...
                                X