No announcement yet.

Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forager! Happy anniversary!! Now spill and give me the menu of your anniversary dinner
    Hope DS had fun and made it through the two days without the lungs giving him fits.
    Fasting - it is definitely an experience, one that I recommend, but if you know you aren't ready, then it is good to wait. Offer still stands!
    Tornadoes - while I hope never to be run over by one, I have mostly lived my life in places in the US that are tornado country, so I guess I just automatically make my plans (always includes living in a place with a basement and having good homeowners insurance), keep my eye on storm fronts, and then don't stress about it, because twisters only happen with the aid of a good, stiff storm cell, and are therefore decently predictable as far as that goes. What I cannot imagine living with is wildfires and drought!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Thanks CC.

With regard to tornadoes and wildfires, I guess whatever we are used to seems normal to us. It is so dry right now everything is parched, rain is forecast for later in the week, I sure hope it materializes.

The day of our anniversary turned out to be a little chaotic, first off my dentist called and asked me if I could come in do my cleaning and then I had some errands to do. While I was out DS texted me saying he was getting a ride home with a friend's mom who was coming into town. DS said he was having a great time but wanted to come home and do a respiratory treatment.

I had planned on having a quiet day at home preparing the meal, getting the baking done in the early part of the day while it was still cool, but instead I cooked in spurts in between running around. I ended up doing some of the baking in the heat of the afternoon. Took DS back up to the camp for the day and then he caught a shuttle back to town later that day.

So the dinner part of the meal I kept simple because I wanted to make DESSERT! I made a GF potato focaccia, with roasted garlic and herbs. I used a lot of garlic and herbs because I'm not eating dairy and I wanted to make sure it had a lot of flavor. The main course was an Italian type fish and shrimp stew with homegrown summer squash, red peppers, red onion, tomatoes, capers, kalamata olives, garlic, parsley and basil.

The dessert was a chocolate tart with a coconut/almond cookie type crust with crushed macadamia nuts on top. It was a big hit.
      I just sort of made it up. Hubby asked if I wrote it down and of course I didn't but I should probably do so while I can still sort of remember it. DS loved the focaccia so I made it again the next day.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Hey all - checking in. Nothing funny, entertaining, out of the ordinary. The zingiest thing we have on tap is our proposed Halloween costumes: me as Radagast the Brown, First as Tron/Rinzler (from Tron Legacy), Second as some generic evil fairy, Third as Elsa from Frozen, and Fourth doesn't know yet. Hubby always lets his women dress him for Halloween and we don't know yet either. And this past weekend hubby gifted me with one of those slow-cookers with the three separate stoneware bowls and individual controls in one long unit, which was on my cool-to-have wish list.

And my parents invited themselves up a week ago, mostly so my Dad could tell me his opinion of what is wrong with me, my attitude towards him, my conservative ways in child rearing, and especially how I fail to "control" Third so that she doesn't "touch his stuff". And that he DESERVES to have my daughters with him -overnight- so he can "teach them" things, you know, like grandparents have a right to. Fuck that. This is a man who has let his wife support him ever since he left the Army when I was in 6th grade, repeatedly indebting her just to make it hard; viciously shot down every educational aspiration I ever had; told me I was a second class human in ways overt and subtle because I am female since ever since I can remember; was jailed for child abuse that I won't specifically explain here; and hit all of us at least once (I have a brother) and I don't mean spanking. My German family has long decided to ban him from their homes, should he visit in the company of my mom - on her recent overseas visit, the woman who won't ever come up here without dear old dad managed to go to Germany all by herself - hmmmmm. I have put up with his horseshit just for the sake of seeing my mom, but now that she is newly retired, her codependent self seems to want me to play Happy Family and mend fences, with she as mediator. OMG - why the hell should I?! Another visit or so, and I just might have hubby make good on his offer to finally sever ties for me (just to save me the trouble). Or pack up my daughters and drive around the Canada and the US on tour (we want to do that sometime anyway) until his quadruple bypassed heart finally gives out. There will be no tears from this chick - she already gave his allotment growing up in his house. Ugh.

I snagged a working TI-1200 calculator on eBay for cheap (with box!). The model was my very first calculator, and I got it just to show the girls ancient technology. Well, that, and it will make me smile as it sits on my desk and occasionally computes for me.

And that is it.
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Forager - dinner sounded good, and your day a lot like my usual ones - busy on anniversaries.

Comment

• The older I get the more prepared I am to simply cut people out of my life. Most recently my in-laws, though that was a joint decision with husband for the benefit of my mental health and our relationship (he still sees them from time to time). Life is too short to spend it with idiots, especially mean and destructive idiots.
            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Hubby's mom was a very difficult person to be around. Hubby always felt worse after seeing her, I suggested he limit how often he visited her and on holidays (which she was used to having her way) I said we should visit when it was convenient for us. This was a revelation to Hubby, as she used to make him feel quilty for not visiting. We both found Christmas to be a major bummer around her so we decided to visit the day after. I know that really annoyed her but she still had her other son and daughter and 2 grandkids so it wasn't like we left her alone. Besides they didn't seem to mind her the way Hubby did, he'd have to detox after seeing her.

I'm all for not being around people that make you feel bad.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• I agree with our darling badgergirl. Life is too short to put up with those whose only agenda is to make life miserable for others. I cut ties with my father fairly young (19) and didn't know he was dead 'til I did an online search. I've written positively about him sometimes because there were positive moments, but there were choices he made later in life that were things I couldn't condone.

Good to see you Crabbyone! *hug*
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Crabby, big hugs! I am sorry you dad was and is so horrible but like the ladies above have said, life is too short to continue having such a toxic person in it. You are an amazing person and if he can't see that, then screw him! And his comment about Third makes me want to spit on all his stuff. He does not deserve the kindness you have shown him but that says far more about you then him.

Comment

• Well, months have passed. Wow. Time does actually fly. And I missed you all - really. So, on to a little update -

Nobody dressed as anything for Halloween (picking up where I left off) because my MIL gifted the six of us with surprise tickets to see the Lion King live stage show! We had plans to go trick-or-treating in the rich neighborhood in which she lives, but we all neglected to double-check the town government's website for the official beggar's night date, and it happened to be on an unexpected night - the same night as the show. Hmmm - trick-or-treat, or an award-winning show paid by someone else... SHOW!! It was simply beautiful. Rafiki was played by a Bushmen woman who spoke that African tongue-click language - when we heard her, most of us literally nearly came out of our seats. Awesome night.

Kids are getting big. First is now 18, got an iPad for her birthday, and got a I-rating at piano contest playing a wicked, wicked piece; First and Second now have their braces off; Fourth spent a week in December alone with Hubby at Death Valley/Sea World again just because Hubby had the frequent-flyer miles and they could; Fourth starts orthodontic treatment tomorrow - spacers go in; Third is up to her eyeballs doing the teenage rebellion thing (takes a lot of my time at the moment) and also just finished up with a 30-day 24-hour cardiac monitor; we just tapped 200 of our maple trees for sap (maple syrup) and our Amish neighbor is letting us use his boiling equipment and providing teaching and help in exchange for keeping some syrup to sell; First and Second are signed up to start YMCA lifeguarding training shortly; and both of them are signed up to take a homeschoolers' public-speaking course via improv comedy and taught by a local improv group. Me - I have become a squishy marshmallow over the past several months and need to get my Primal mojo back.

All in all, still life as usual at the Crabb Shack! Oh wait - big thing here... Hubby was told by his docs at the Clinic that he needs to lose weight NOW or he will die much earlier than he wants, so Hubby decided to do what amounts to nearly full-on Primal; lost at least one pants size and 16 pounds so far, and is actually taking 1-hour hilly walks daily as exercise. Go hubby!!

Comment

• Go hubby indeed. And go you. Welcome back Crabcakes, wonderful to hear how your offspring are all growing up. Well done to first on her piano contest - what did she play?

The show indeed sounds amazing, and so does maple syrup - wow.
                      Annie Ups the Ante
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Good on the tuther half, and I'm impressed how you managed to detail the offspring and stuff update in only one paragraph....

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                          Go hubby indeed. And go you. Welcome back Crabcakes, wonderful to hear how your offspring are all growing up. Well done to first on her piano contest - what did she play?

The show indeed sounds amazing, and so does maple syrup - wow.
                          Schubert Impromptu, Opus 90, No. 2

Youtube has it under this title. This was First's last piano competition (I agreed that she could stop after she completed the competition for her senior year in high school) and I think she went out with a bang!

She will continue with piano because she loves it, just not the competition stuff. I made her do that because I thought it a highly beneficial experience for a shy-ish, always-homeschooled kid to experience time crunches, performance anxiety, hard practices, and all the rest that comes with a sink-or-swim thing like this, as we are really relaxed here at home and she otherwise wouldn't have known how she reacts (emotionally) to such pressures. Same with Second.

Comment

• Tapping maple trees is lots of work! Do you have collection hoses running to a big barrel or are you going to collect by hand? Lots of work either way hauling. It takes like 60 gallons of sap to cook down to a gallon of syrup if I remember right. We used to go to the maple festival each spring and get maple stirs. I just liked to watch the sugar crystalize from the warm syrup, but the maple flavor was always too intense for me. Glad to hear the family is doing so well and congrats to hubby!

Comment

• Crabby, I don't what to say I am so happy you're back!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Great to hear about hubby and the crablets!

Comment

• Yay! You are alive!
                                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X