No announcement yet.

Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awful night. At one this morning, one of our three kitten brothers went into distress, so hubby rushed him to the overnight emergency vet in the big city. Testing indicated a blocked bladder, so we gave permission to treat (catheter, IV fluids and antibiotics, sedation, etc), and believing everything under control, hubby returned home without kitty because treatment time was expected to last into Monday. At six a.m., we got a call that our cat suffered a massive heart attack just as the vet began to lay lines, and he died immediately.

He was First's new kitten love, and the grief is intense. I just drugged her with benadryl for a sleep break - she was beginning to show signs of an asthma attack. Yeah, she got her asthma meds, too. Tomorrow is Second's birthday, and our youngest kitten's also, and it all now sucks.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Oh Crabby, I'm so sorry! That's so unusual in outdoor cats.

Big hug to you and to Mr. Crab and the Crablets.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your fuzzy friend CC. Hopefully Second's birthday lightens the mood a little. Hugs to all.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          Oh Crabby, I'm so sorry! That's so unusual in outdoor cats.

Big hug to you and to Mr. Crab and the Crablets.
          Originally posted by canio6 View Post
          Sorry to hear about your fuzzy friend CC. Hopefully Second's birthday lightens the mood a little. Hugs to all.
          Thank you. Here is the guy - he just turned one back in May. We know he was asymptomatic until he went into distress, and the vet is capable (previous dealings), and we did all the usual shots and stuff. We are just completely stunned.

image.jpg
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. When animals die all of a sudden it's a lot to emotionally process. A month before my son was born our 5 yr old dog just keeled over as we opened the gate to take her for a walk. She probably had a heart problem that we weren't aware of, there was no previous sign of illness.

Hugs to all of you.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Adding my hugs to the heap. Xxx
              I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. When animals die all of a sudden it's a lot to emotionally process. A month before my son was born our 5 yr old dog just keeled over as we opened the gate to take her for a walk. She probably had a heart problem that we weren't aware of, there was no previous sign of illness.

Hugs to all of you.
                I told this to the girls. Thanks for relating the story - it actually helps me, too. That is what our vet said, too - likely the heart. But the bladder was a mess - chunks were coming out at testing, not just bloody urine, so vet said it was most likely a combo of things, all very serious in their own right, and the intersection of all of them meant that Simon was not going to live no matter what.

But, geez, the suddenness - that is really hard. We are having our home equivalent of calling hours - we have him in an open-top kennel, where we can see him. We have done things that way since our first old cat died several years ago. Hubby will be building a box, and we will probably dig this afternoon, as it is rainy today and the soil is easier to shovel when wet. Then a burial tomorrow, in a little spit of land visible from the house that contains the remains of five cats, soon to be six. I have plans to eventually plant it with woodland flowering ground cover and put a bench and a statue of St Francis out there.

Comment

• The bench, flowers and St Francis sounds like a lovely idea. Creating such a sanctuary might be very healing for everyone.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• I found the ciabatta rolls you suggested. A 4 pack for $6, I bought them and put them in the freezer for burger night. I can't wait to try them!

Comment

• Crabby, your mention of Saint Francis got me to google him - he was my grandfather's patron saint. Then I found a movie on youtube that was very moving. Thank you!

Waves to UF also.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Awful headache all day today, needed two blasts of headache tablets to control, and nauseous all day. Dunno why - long hours in the schoolroom this week, but it was not stressful (we laughed a lot, actually), and neither was family life. It began before dawn, woke me up, actually. So I spent the day sipping broth and slowly prepping my Sunday school lesson for tomorrow - tomorrow begins our church year, and I am up first in the teaching rotation for my grade level. Topic: Bible stories. You might be saying "duh!", but this isn't a Christian church, so they have to make a concerted effort to ensure that their youth have some passing familiarity with these stories, living in Western culture as they/we do.

So, I did a little study on Bible history, specifically on how the English-language scriptures came to be. And a bit on the Hebrew Bible. I now have a few Bible versions on my wish list at Amazon: a mostly-fascimile 1611 King James; a mostly-fascimile 1599 Geneva; a JPS English-Hebrew Tanakh; an English-Greek Reverse Interlinear; a mostly-fascimile 1526 OE Tyndale New Testament; a translation from Aramaic/Peshitta (Lamsa Bible); and the Amplified Bible. I honestly had fun - helped distract me from the headache.

Other than that, kayaking for me and First tomorrow, on a local small no-motors lake. It will be my first kayak experience ever. Hope I don't tip... because I can't swim.

Comment

• Crabby, how are you feeling? Hoping the headache is gone.

And how was the kayaking? You can't swim? I've always wondered how that happens. City kids have the Y, country kids have lakes, and rich kids have the ocean. Can you float? (I taught my second husband to float, though he could swim.) Doggy paddle?

Not being able to swim brings out the mom-nurture thing in me. I want to rush to OH and play in a lake or pond with you until you can swim. Or at least teach you to tread water so you can wait for someone to save you.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• Joanie - better, thanks. Got only three hours of sleep last night, though: headache gave up closing in on midnight, and I got hungry, so I followed the signals and had salty organic hot dogs, and by the time I chowed and got Fourth back to sleep (she had a rough night - puberty hormones were causing some odd distressed mood that I cured with old America's Funniest Home Videos episodes and Bach Remedy Aspen) it was past three a.m. Got up at 6 a.m. to cook a big dinner-for-breakfast (roast chicken spatchcocked and placed on top of chunky russet potatoes to catch the juices), get Third cleaned up, etc in time to get out of the house for church. And then right into kayaking after church.

Kayaking was fun. After I hung myself up on a submerged tree trunk, and got myself back off, that is. Which brings me to swimming.

Here is how I never learned to swim: first, mother is/always has been terrified of water, so she was absolutely no encouragement. Father had the one and only car in the family with him at work always. Father learned to swim on the Jersey shore as a kid, but as an adult Army hours keep him away from family life in the extreme.
                            Birth to age five: several Army moves in the US and in and out of Germany, and also Vietnam service for father - I remember nothing but I cannot blame them for not thinking of swim lessons while mom was a new immigrant to this country and just trying to keep it together.
                            Ages six to eleven: living in central Texas (Fort Hood) - we had a crick behind our teeny off-base house, but as there was no swimming pool in the backyard, no friends with swimming pools, and no second car (and even if there had been, mom is a driving refuser) and also at that time nobody in my family ever mentioned the Y, swim didn't happen. I honestly thought that "YMCA" was just a cute jingle from the Village People, not a real organization.
                            Age eleven: Army move to Germany. Here, I do one Red Cross swim course at a German indoor pool complex, but taught by folks from the base. It was a disaster. I looked like a stroke victim crossed with a lame stork and learned nothing.
                            Age twelve to thirteen: back in the US, Pop out of the Army, lots of travel around the eastern US looking for relatives to take us in as Pop had up and suddenly left the Army with no game plan for afterwards. By sheer Providence, we land in OH. No swim opportunities.
                            Age thirteen to seventeen: stable in government housing, best friend lives in a private development close by that has an outdoor community pool and she teaches me to doggy paddle and to dead-man float. Went to the city public pool about twice in four years as the besties' pool is closer, less crowded, and FREE. A few trips to the local lakes with friends, but the focus was on splashing around, and boyfriend nonsense, not learning swim skills. I still don't know about the Y at this point.
                            Age eighteen: move to Germany for and by myself. Now I do check into swim lessons at a German pool (taught by Germans) and sign up for classes. But - I now work for an American brokerage, and due to the six hour time diff with NYC, our Frankfurt office is literally open from 8 a.m. (open for the locals) until 11 p.m. (last US market closed) Frankfurt time; and although my shift is officially from 8 to 5 Frankfurt time, I very frequently get socked with the late shift on top of that. I get dropped several times from the classes for spotty attendance, as I tried several times to finish a course. The teachers fully understand the time difference and financial markets, as Frankfurt is the banking and finance hub of Germany, but the Teutons are strict about attendance and rules and all that. So, no advance in swim skills.
                            Age twenty-six: move back to the US (NJ), get married right away and start work in NYC. Commute is brutal, leaving just enough time to sleep before doing it again. Swim is the last thing on my mind as I was hugely homesick for Germany and this condition endured a while. Wiggling into married life was hard for me.
                            Age twenty-nine: First is born. The other three come in short order. Preoccupied with babies. Yeah, Jersey has the shore, but I am not a beach lover, so I mostly ignore it, since I burn easily and can't swim in it anyway.
                            Age thirty-five: discover that Third has massive problems, here starts our lives at therapy centers and hospitals. Not thinking of swim. We had an above-ground pool by then, but it was not large enough to actually swim in - just float in the middle and splash, even if it was decently deep-ish.
                            Age in-the-forties: now in OH, now FINALLY members of a Y, kids are taking swim lessons like mad, I try to take swim-for-adults lessons, but the child watch is not open at the times adult swim meets and Third cannot be left alone. Neither can her sisters take her as they are too young (until only recently) for such a responsibility. Hubby would take the kids, but he frequently travels.

And here we are.
                            Last edited by Crabbcakes; 09-07-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Just checking in. Nothing to report, really. First and Second are sick and puking, and Third is sinking fast. My mom is currently in Germany, and she is bringing back long pepper and cubeb pepper at my request (I found a source two years ago when I went to see the family, and the cousins over there got more, Mom is just the courier). Trying to get Second's peeps together to have her cat-funeral delayed birthday powwow, but as she is puking, I am having nobody over just yet. Spent a lot of time on the ipad, reading new websites (treehugger dot com; notechmagazine dot com; lowtechmagazine dot com) as I was keeping the pukers company.

Keeping Third home from school is working well so far, as long as we keep to a predictable morning schedule. The family is following my changes in attitude and speech about certain home life-related things, and we are getting along better as a family. Third has had an absofrickinlutely awesome speech/talking week this week - the best vocabulary-rich, grammatically correct stuff is coming out. Hmph - seems that the ST was right, and she is capable of so much more, given the right conditions. Go ST and Third!

Up for today - clearing and resorting the history bookshelf in the schoolroom, and a ton of laundry. Seems every blanket, pillow and afghan in the house decided to get dirty simultaneously. Trip to the store, for I assuredly will run out of detergent and fabric softener today. Made a delicious whole-chicken-in-the-pot chicken broth for the sickos. Second got freaked out yesterday evening, and called my cell phone numerous times: seems there was a tornado warning, and the thing was headed my way (out horseback riding with Third), so Second wanted to be sure that I had time to react, as I have an old, dumb cellphone and don't get those weather alarms like the smartphone users do. That section of Ohio gets a lot of tornado warnings, but this one dissipated quickly, before it could even get far from the town it originated near. We have a weather radio here at the house, and it was going off constantly, which is what alerted Second in the first place.

And that is it.

And that is it.

Comment

• Sorry to hear about First and Second, hope they get over it quickly and that no one else gets it.

Great news about homeschooling Third! That's so cool that you are already seeing progress. I admit I'm biased in favor of homeschooling. I really believe an attentive parent usually can do so much better than a school. Of course there are exceptions but if the parent is motivated amazing things can happen.

I've never lived in tornado country, it sounds frightening to me. We do have earthquakes here in CA, but there aren't usually warnings (only for aftershocks) so there's no time to worry, they just happen.

DS is on a 2 night school camping trip. Last night was his first night, we'll see if he makes it another night. Last year he stayed just one night because he was having a hard time breathing and couldn't do his full respiratory treatment so I went and picked him up. Fortunately the camping spot is just outside of town so it's not a big deal if he wants to come home.

As you know I had thought to do a fast during this time but I decided against it. I don't think my hunger is under control enough at this time to manage it. Besides today is our anniversary. I'm going to make us a nice dinner since there's no restaurants near
                                by worth going to.

Comment

Working...
                                X