No announcement yet.

Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have so much sympathy for your dislikes, actually I refuse to engage with contemporary mass culture and see myself withdrawing further once small boy is grown. Please do get Book of Silence out at the library...I think it would speak (with the sound of silence) to you. Hugs.
    I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Crabbyone, I totally agree with all your dislikes. The only one from which I've benefited is flood insurance. I lived somewhere that was close enough to water that I couldn't get a mortgage without it. We collected twice just from a few inches of water - which is scary (the water). Over time, it probably would have made more sense to just get the house raised 8". I think we broke even with the premiums. But even though ours was just a little house, I always knew they'd never cancel the federal flood insurance program because it mostly benefits the affluent.

I hope your mighty greens made you feel better! *hugs*
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Add another to the Crabby Club! I agreed with every one of your dislikes! Fracking!!!!! UGH! CA is in the middle of an extreme drought, is there any question whether fracking should be allowed? It takes a ton of water to frack and it can only be used once because it is so toxic when they're done with it. Where does it go then? Water for food or fracking? I can't believe it's even a question.

As a side note poor ol' Ukraine it seems everyone wants some of it. Chevron has bought up fracking rights in Western Ukraine:

Chevron has no plans to end fracking agreement with Ukraine - SFGate

Many EU countries have laws that prohibit fracking but I guess they take the "old not in my backyard" position.
        Last edited by Urban Forager; 04-30-2014, 09:31 AM.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
          I have so much sympathy for your dislikes, actually I refuse to engage with contemporary mass culture and see myself withdrawing further once small boy is grown. Please do get Book of Silence out at the library...I think it would speak (with the sound of silence) to you. Hugs.
          I requested a hold at the library - thanks!

I once read a book about a lady who took off for the American Southwest to spend a few weeks at a silent abbey-thing, as in NO TALKING EVER outside of conversations requested with the priest and a regularly scheduled circle time for adults thing. Catholic based, I believe. She LOVED it, and chronicled it, and made the chronicle into a book. Hell, after reading the book, I wanted to go!
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Wow, has it really been three months?? I blinked twice and here we are at August. I haven't read a thing yet to see what everybody else is up to, but I will in the next few days, and hopefully you all have more positives than challenges in your lives! Mostly I have been shuttling the kids to and from various summer camps: First did two separate weeks of sleepover horse camp, and Fourth did a week of the same horse camp plus one week of art day camp. Then the usual therapy runs, and the normal doc visits for the rest.

But mostly I have been dealing with getting ready for Third's upcoming school year - because she won't be attending her school. I have managed to win a very sizable special-needs scholarship from our state department of education for her and I will be using it to school her at home. Her school, beloved as it WAS, in the space of the second half of last school year has turned into yet another example a very bureaucratic, common-senseless education factory that is most public schooling and it is no longer right for her. That decision is taking a good deal of planning, a whole lotta' family dynamics work, and no small amount of self-work on myself (attitude, confidence, etc.) so this change becomes something that benefits all, rather than a horror show, and that is where my time has been going. I wouldn't do this if I didn't basically believe this choice to be best for Third, but whooboy, is it scary.

Add to that a workplace change that is inevitable and imminent for Hubby, and I have been distracted. Not bad or depressed, just distracted and busy.

Badger, I did get Maitland's Book of Silence, and I did read it. It was wonderful and just right and I passed the info, along with a glowing reader recommendation, on to our church pastor who will read it next. Thanks!

On food news, I have been making Paleo desserts with Third and she has been having a blast - she gets to eat diet-safe sweet treats, work in the kitchen, bond with her Mama, and did I mention that she gets to eat sweet treats?!

So, friends and casual readers of this redneck journal, in the words of Arnie, I will be back!
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Yay Crabby is back! I've missed you!
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• So glad the crabby house is well! You've been missed! Have you tried banana soft serve ice cream yet! Basically just frozen bananas in the food processor until mush. Sooo good. I add gelatin to t as it improves consistency and nutrition. Add other flares too as you like. Almond butter, coca powder and cherries are my fav's. congrats on the home schooling change too. You are a brave woman and strong enough to do it!

Comment

• yay! Crabby's back!
                  I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Hi hi Crabbyone! *big squishy hugs*

I'm so glad your absence was from busy and not something bad. You've been missed.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Yes, you were really missed!
                      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Heyyyyyy Ladies - thanks!! I really did miss you all, too.

Besides busy, hubby took me somewhere for my birthday back in May that I have been wanting to see for YEARS - Fallingwater! It is actually only a day-trip away from here. First and Second thought it was great; Third got bored before we even started the tour and spent the tour through the house in practically a clench-hold in hubby's grasp so she wouldn't break any tour rules about not touching stuff; and Fourth was perma-pissed because Wright built a stunner of a house that seamlessly combines inside and outside and because of its Historical Landmark status nobody can actually USE any longer, and she so felt the pull of that house that she wanted to get down onto that little waterfall overhang built under the home and dangle her feet in the waters that flow under the house and just. wasn't. allowed. If you go on the tour - house, awesome; tour guides, very well informed and friendly; tour itself, overall - tons of security and between them and the incessant comments/directions from the guides about EXACTLY where to stand and EXACTLY how to file out of one room and into the next and NEVER, EVER, EVER touch anything, it felt like the one time I visited an uncle in the state penitentiary back in NJ as a kid - locked down. When I think on it, in general, the anonymous members of "the public" can be irresponsible, ignorant shits, and with the sheer number of visitors Fallingwater gets, I am sure they have had to deal with just every imaginable variety of stupidity, both accidental and intentional, hence they do what they must, but it left a lingering feeling of, well, I can't find the perfect word, so I will say patronizing.

So, near the end of the tour, we of our tour group were in Fallingwater's guest house, located just up the hill, listening to our guide, when my cargo pants knee pocket caught in a little doorknob of a row of lower cabinets in the living room and I hadn't noticed, so when I took a step to move, the cabinet door popped open with a huuuge popping click and you could actually HEAR the little sucking-in of air from everybody - I HAD BROKEN A RUUUUULE! It took everybody less than a sec to see that my hands had had nothing to do with the faux pas, so the attention immediately went to the tour guide to see how she was going to handle this breach of security... Yeah, that was the tenor of the tour, even as she had a sing-songy pleasant voice and was a constant stream of good info. She just asked me not to close the door (no touching nothing, remember?) and on we went, so it wasn't horrible or anything, just very elementary-school-feeling, you know? Re organizing the whole thing so dozens of tours go off seamlessly each day - they have that down to a science. Fallingwater actually belongs to a private conservation organization which also owns a couple more Wright properties in the area - sometime soon I will return to the Mill Run, PA area to see them. I do hope though, that those tours are just a bit more relaxed.

My family loved me for dinner last night - BLTs for all. Three pounds of bacon for six people... NOBODY dared fight over who got the most bacon last night!
                        Last edited by Crabbcakes; 08-05-2014, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Crabby! You touched something! Bad girl!

I feel your frustration. It seems like the more rules that get made, the more people stop learning how to act just because civility and respect are right. And the more people stop learning how to act just because civility and respect are right, the more rules have to be made. Vicious cycle.

Somehow the idea of "do your own thing," has gotten translated to, "do your own thing, even if you poop upon the rest of the world." That was never the intent.

B*tch-lite

Comment

• My internet at home is completely down and our ISP says it has nothing to do with THEIR equipment...
                            I am actually writing this from the public library in the next town over from home. So, it may be a few days before I reply to anyone, should there be traffic here. Just FYI. AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH

Comment

• I went and saw the Dana-Thomas house in Springfield IL once when I was there on business. It was the same way but so amazing.

Every time you see a stupid rule or warning, it usually means someone did something to require it.

Crabby it is so good to see you back! I hope your evil ISP gets you back online soon. Talking to most of those kind of customer service people makes me want to poke out an eye and not necessarily mine!

Comment

• How did I miss this post? I just discovered it today, my computer won't let me sign up for threads so sometimes things slip by me.

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                                Crabby! You touched something! Bad girl!

I feel your frustration. It seems like the more rules that get made, the more people stop learning how to act just because civility and respect are right. And the more people stop learning how to act just because civility and respect are right, the more rules have to be made. Vicious cycle.

Somehow the idea of "do your own thing," has gotten translated to, "do your own thing, even if you poop upon the rest of the world." That was never the intent.
                                Yep, that's where we are now.

Comment

Working...
                                X