No announcement yet.

Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this gun talk reminds me of a something I once experienced, back in the late '80s thru the mid '90s, in the US and Germany, as I did travel back and forth: every American I talked to who had been through a German civilian airport was floored at the firepower German airport security carried strapped to their backs as a matter of course, and every German I talked to who had been through an American airport of that era said they were scared to death of the "six shooters" (their words, translated) our security and police in general carried, implying that they thought the airport security and police were going to be as trigger-happy as Hollywood movie cowboys. After a while, I just thought, WTF?? Both have guns, so what is the essential difference?? So I made it my weensy mission to let both sides know, as the topic came up, that they were both afraid of each other - and both sides were stunned to hear that they had each been spooked by the other.

The story has no real moral - it was my way of processing some cultural differences. But it happened as described.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
      (I also refuse to drive - I really, really don't want to kill someone).
      Do you seriously not drive? Like, at all, or is it that Melbourne has good enough public transportation and you don't need to subject yourself to that kind of automotive stress?
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• I passed my test, had a minor accident and best friend, who was sitting next to me, said 'thank god there wasn't a child there'. At that point I decided I'd never drive again. So far I've kept to that despite having licenses for two countries.
        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• I hope Fourth recovers quickly and that none of you get what she has.

What a great discussion you had with First. That was a perfect example of how kids can learn about a variety of subjects by simply following what they are interested in.

I was reading the weapons thread (there were some thoughtful posts, especially the one from rural Ohio) but like you said CC they started talking in circles. Now I'm only scanning the thread for new posters. Hubby and son own family heirloom rifles; they enjoy target practice and restoring the rifles. In my brief post I mentioned that blowguns are illegal in CA. We didn't know it until recently. Hubby was given one by a student of his over 12 yrs ago, I suppose they were legal at the time. Hubby brought it out to show DS; we thought it would be a great work out for his lungs, turns out it is. DS loved it and wanted to look into an upgrade so he looked it up online only to find out you can't buy them in CA. When was anyone ever killed by a blowgun?
          IMHO the level of violent crime in the US is much more complex than simply limiting the availability of fire arms, though it may include that too.
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
            All this gun talk reminds me of a something I once experienced, back in the late '80s thru the mid '90s, in the US and Germany, as I did travel back and forth: every American I talked to who had been through a German civilian airport was floored at the firepower German airport security carried strapped to their backs as a matter of course, and every German I talked to who had been through an American airport of that era said they were scared to death of the "six shooters" (their words, translated) our security and police in general carried, implying that they thought the airport security and police were going to be as trigger-happy as Hollywood movie cowboys. After a while, I just thought, WTF?? Both have guns, so what is the essential difference?? So I made it my weensy mission to let both sides know, as the topic came up, that they were both afraid of each other - and both sides were stunned to hear that they had each been spooked by the other.

The story has no real moral - it was my way of processing some cultural differences. But it happened as described.
            I spent some time in Israel. F**king terrifying. So many soldiers. So very many guns.

One of the things Brits used to be proud of, that we've lost, is that all through the IRA bombing campaign police on the street did not carry guns. Now it is not unusual to see armed police in our cities. Are we safer? Ask Jean Charles de Menzies.
            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Unfortunately cases like Menzies are all to common in the US:
              BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Forager - thanks for the get well wishes for Fourth! She appears to be over it - I think she had some suspected spoiled juice that the older two brought home from the church lock-in. Dumped it as a precaution. Whew - no flu!

I would LOVE to get behind the sights of a real American longrifle! Blowgun sounds like an awesomely entertaining way for a boy to get lung exercise - Third used to blow bubbles using medical tubing and a plastic barrel. It is a surprisingly hard workout.

Comment

• Badger - I didn't know of the case of de Menzies, so I just looked it up and scanned as quickly as I could. Not good. I haven't been to Israel ever, but I'll have to ask my Israeli friend how things look on the street these days.

I guess I am sorta background immune to some sights, as dad was career Army and we went to all the Armed Forces days and base celebrations and the like, and I even went to school for two years on base, Kindergarten and 5th grades, and being unarmed is unthinkable in that group.

Comment

• I was just thinking fondly of most of you all here on the MDA (don't worry, those of you I have a hard time appreciating don't swing by here anyway), and how my first foray into forum participation has been more positive than I ever could have imagined it, and I got to wondering where a particular poster went, as I haven't seen him around the MDA in a long while, and I always loved his posts.

Trouble is, I can't remember his name! But here is what I do remember - his avatar was some kind of alien monster, looked like the thing that appeared at the end of "Prometheus", standing upright like a man, with that huge backwards-curving cranial piece, but holding a wicked electric guitar. I hate, hate, hate not being able to recall something, and I have been at this for several days, so if you think you know who he is, would you give me the MDA name?? Please??

Comment

• I know who you mean. Will post when my brain spits out the answer.. Or I'll be searching the old threads to find him too

Comment

• Uncephalised???????? Or something like that ??????
                        "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by nz primal gwamma View Post
                          uncephalised???????? Or something like that ??????
                          yes!!

Comment

• Yeah what happened to him? I liked his posts too. Didn't he say something about quitting his job and traveling in a RV?

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                              Yeah what happened to him? I liked his posts too. Didn't he say something about quitting his job and traveling in a RV?

Yes, that sounds right. Hopefully he makes a few stops at internet cafes and posts. His posts were quality.

Comment

• So. The Mythbusters show was last night, and we fell in love with Adam and Jamie all over again. Fourth was crushed, after the show closed, and here is what happened...

We were in the nosebleed seats, but in that theater there is no bad seat, so it was fine by us that we propped up the rear wall. After the show, most of the audience skeedaddled pretty quickly - just not the first four rows. They, to a man/woman/kid, stayed in their seats, kind of expectantly. Hmmmmmm. I noticed, so I sat down again just to see what the deal was. After a minute a stage hand appears, squats down at the front of the stage, and addresses those four rows. At this point, I get it. Uh-oh. Fourth loves the Mythbusters more than she loves Jesus Himself, and those folks are headed backstage. Just because they shelled out the big bucks. So I tell Fourth what is about to happen, and as soon as I shut up, they all stand up and walk through a special side door. And I watch Fourth simply deflate.

She isn't awake yet. I will see what kind of help she will need today. Of course her sisters tried to get her to come 'round with exclamations that we should be humble and focus on the fact that we were there at all, but that kind of maturity is lost on a 10 y.o. who wasn't one of the chosen ones. To be sooooo close, and yet so far was unbearable.

School is cancelled for Third today - as I was crossing the county, predawn, this a.m. to retrieve her from the SIL (where she spent the night as the whole strobey, boomy, flashy-light thing would probably have caused a seizure, and most definitely caused a sensory meltdown), it was raining wet ice balls. We'll see what the weather brings today.

Today is December 6, which means that it is Nikolaus! In the Germanic countries, you set your POLISHED boots/shoes out the day before and Nikolaus (think Saint Nicholas of Myra) brings small gifts and clementines and sweets to fill your shoes if you have been good, and coal if not... In my family's part of Germany, the gift-bringer on Christmas Eve is the Christkind (Christ Child, literally), since Nikolaus came a couple weeks before. Once, I found foil-wrapped dark chocolate chunks poured to resemble coal pieces, and I stuck them in hubby's boots - the kids loved that one.

Tomorrow is a visit to the Winter Fest at a Waldorf school. Four of my German cousins were Waldorf kids, and I would like Fourth to experience it. She is looking forward to it very much, so perhaps that will distract her a bit from not being face-to-face with Hyneman and Savage. Let's hope the weather is decent enough to travel - it is a two-hour trip just to get there.

And that is it for now!

Comment

Working...
                                X