No announcement yet.

Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow, everyone!

So. What a whirlwind 24 hours I have had. That storm kicked us in the teeth in my little county - hubby and First are out plowing for the third time with the garden tractor-snow blade combo. School was closed Tues and Wed. Coming home yesterday from the orthodontist in the big city was a wreck - I had to put the Sienna in the 3 low gears it possesses and still nearly slid off the road half a dozen times, and drove the last ten miles from the county seat to our corner literally between 15 and 30 mph - any more and off the road we would have gone. We saw good 'ole boys get out of their vehicles and bodily push rear-wheel drive cars on the roadway along the road, and then literally slide on their feet like ice skaters back to their pickup trucks... The good news is that both First and Second both have dates to have their braces off - hooray!!

Then, last night, the power cuts out. We are used to that, so we wait for the generator to jump in... And wait... And wait... So hubby and First head out to the generator along the drive to hit the manual switchover. Nada. In the end they gave up. This is at 3 a.m., mind you. Call our generator service - they at least have a live human on the phone at 3 a.m. - I still am mildly impressed. The human gets a techie to call us here - techie and hubby talk to no avail - 4.30 a.m. Bright and early this morning, 9 a.m., a pickup service truck shows up at our house to check the generator. And the friggin' generator has internally literally flown apart - FOR THE SECOND TIME. We did this spiel three years ago - winter storm, generator dead, service guy opens stuff up only to find a huge pile of copper wire shreds, the replacement of basically the entire heart of the generator costs a couple grand. Hubby is heading out again on Sunday for a week on business, of course. So we got our two little propane-canister-powered ceramic heaters out, and we also have two hip-high-to-me kerosene heaters - those were purchased so we wouldn't freeze the first time the generator died in a flurry of copper bits. Hubby is really mad, as we have always done our recommended service and also do not tinker around with it and crap - and this is what we get for following the rules and stuff. Harrumph.

Power did come back today, and is still on, so I have used today to clean, house and children, like a sonofagun, because I have no faith that it will stay on tomorrow. Our house is all-electric, with geothermal HVAC so the costs are low for us, but when the power goes out we also don't have access to water as the pump on the well is electric. Thanksgiving is a popular holiday for power outages in the county - I once had a Thanksgiving Day outage so long that my brother, who thankfully had brought a turkey fryer with him, just because he wanted to cook a second turkey as an exhibition of how good fried turkeys are, cooked our turkey outside in the giant frying vat and saved the meat course.

Because the weather was going to be bad, and travel problematic, on Monday I bought the entire fixins' for dinner anyway, even though we plan on going out, just in case. Betcha I end up cooking.

I am sitting here in a coating of coconut oil after getting clean myself, and it feels good. I did something new - used lemon juice instead of acv to rinse the hair, and it is really, really nice. And no faint vinaigrette scent!

My SIL has our 4-wheel-drive Jeep, and I am feeling kind of pissy about that... She asked for the car so she could safely and actually get to and from work during the storm and hubby handed over the keys. Her own car is on its last legs and she most likely would have crashed had she driven it, so it wasn't a frivolous request (this is the SIL who is recently divorced, so she needs to keep her job, with two kids still underage and all). But I could have used that car myself. Huh. Not very charitable of me, is it?

So, for Thanksgiving this year, I am already thankful for kerosene, propane, space heaters, service guys who are wicked prompt, camping lanterns, MagLights, warm cat fur, sexy romance novels read by flashlight, water jugs that I keep filled, and sunrise. And kids who are so used to power outages that they just roll over and sleep more under an extra blanket.

Keep safe on your travels, all!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving to you tomorrow! Wow what an ordeal you've had. I'd be scared to death driving in that kind of weather. I saw the news and I was wondering if was hitting hard in your area.

I hope you don't have any more unpleasant surprises tomorrow and that all of you can enjoy a cozy holiday. Let us know if you end up cooking.

BTW don't the kitties help out by warming your beds? That's what my little terrier does.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving to you Crabbyone, and to Mr. Crab, and Fourth, Third, Second, and First!

Waving hi and Happy Thanksgiving to UF!
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving CC. As UF said, here is wishing you a cosy holiday!

Comment

• For a certain felt artist I know...

image.jpg
            Last edited by Crabbcakes; 11-28-2013, 07:37 AM.
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• And here, too...

image.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                Happy Thanksgiving to you Crabbyone, and to Mr. Crab, and Fourth, Third, Second, and First!

Waving hi and Happy Thanksgiving to UF!
                Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                Happy Thanksgiving CC. As UF said, here is wishing you a cosy holiday!
                Thank you all! May all your turkeys turn out perfectly today!

Comment

• CC, I tried to PM you and just what I was afraid of happened, I hit some key and lost the dang thing! So open forum it is.... suffice to say I'm in the room with DS. He's doing really well. I don't want to take over your journal and I'm not up for opening my own so I'll just keep my comments brief.

I love those felted pieces! What beautiful work! The piece with the flowers on it gives me an idea; it would be fun to make felted sleeves to go over mason jars insulating them so you could drink hot beverages.

Happy Turkey day to all!
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Second's set - headband and pulse warmers. Yup, this is Second.

image.jpg

The green things on my hands (see previous photos) are, translated from the German, "pulse warmers". The white flowery thing is actually a candle cover, designed for glass candle holders (tea light or votive size) with high sides - the glow through it is incredible.
                    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 11-28-2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Closeup... The black is wool, the pearly white is actually silk.

image.jpg
                      Last edited by Crabbcakes; 11-28-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Those are gorgeous!

Comment

• And the last two, the end of my felted collection -

image.jpg

image.jpg

Heading out for dinner - see you all tonight!

Comment

• Great looking creations CC!

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                              And the last two, the end of my felted collection -

[ATTACH]14727[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14728[/ATTACH]

Heading out for dinner - see you all tonight!
                              Now that is very cool!

Have a great dinner!

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                                Great looking creations CC!
                                Thanks, canio, but they aren't mine! The collection is mine in that I bought the entire lot during my trip to Germany last year, from a felt artist friend of my aunt's. Sorry for the mixup! I WISH I were that talented!

In other news, we are headed out to the Golden Corral - seriously. Joanie will have the last laugh today! (See Joanie's journal...)

Comment

Working...
                                X