Gettin' All-Primal in the Applachians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
    BBC News - The Great British class calculator: What class are you?

I thought this might amuse you. Apparently I am 'established middle class'. Hmmm...
    Established middle class as well. It was fun, thanks - I have never taken a class calculator that wasn't designed by and for Americans. If you want a fun look at one man's version of class in the US, look up Paul Fussell's book "Class - A Guide Through the American Status System".
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      Love the eggs and your dinner sounds delicious! Hope you all had a lovely Easter.
      Dinner was good, thanks! The six of us ate our way through 2 pounds of asparagus and 2 pounds of salmon just in the salad... Kids went to bed happy, as did hubby and I.
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• I'm classed as an elite? Really? Wow. Technical middle class as a kid, apparently. Huh.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
          Established middle class as well.
          Ah, you see! That's why we're friends.

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
          If you want a fun look at one man's version of class in the US, look up Paul Fussell's book "Class - A Guide Through the American Status System".
          One day I shall join the library...
          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Ah, you see! That's why we're friends.
            !!

But I hail from solidly Precariat stock... Are you sure you still wanna' be pals, hmmm?
            Last edited by Crabbcakes; 04-03-2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

!!

But I hail from solidly Precariat stock... Are you sure you still wanna' be pals, hmmm?
              My olds are traditional working class, apparently (my mother would have issue with that).

Cream rises.
              Last edited by badgergirl; 04-03-2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Cream rises.
                Well, hell - thank you!

Comment

• Probably only funny if you have seen The Wire, but I'll send it your way anyway: BBC's seven social classes: The Wire version | Television & radio | guardian.co.uk

Comment

• What ever group is the one listed as No class.... I'm in!

Comment

• damn you, Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Book-Silen...=IQDH9VEGHLN3L
                      After a noisy upbringing as one of six children, and adulthood as a vocal feminist and mother, Sara Maitland began to crave silence. Over the past five years, she has spent periods of silence in the Sinai desert, the Australian bush, and the Isle of Skye. She interweaves these experiences with the history of silence through fairy-tale and myth, Western and Eastern religious traditions, the Enlightenment and psychoanalysis, up to the ambivalence towards silence in contemporary society. Maitland has built a hermitage on an isolated Scottish moor, and the book culminates powerfully with her experiences of silence in this new home.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                        What ever group is the one listed as No class.... I'm in!
                        Heya doc! Dude, you could never be mistaken for a no-class guy - you innately have it, which is why a coterie of ladies here on the MDA have a Stammtisch at your journal!

Comment

damn you, Amazon A Book of Silence: Amazon.co.uk: Sara Maitland: Books
                          After a noisy upbringing as one of six children, and adulthood as a vocal feminist and mother, Sara Maitland began to crave silence. Over the past five years, she has spent periods of silence in the Sinai desert, the Australian bush, and the Isle of Skye. She interweaves these experiences with the history of silence through fairy-tale and myth, Western and Eastern religious traditions, the Enlightenment and psychoanalysis, up to the ambivalence towards silence in contemporary society. Maitland has built a hermitage on an isolated Scottish moor, and the book culminates powerfully with her experiences of silence in this new home.
                          I am still waiting for the Forest book from our library... This one sounds awesome as well!

I once read a book about a mother's experience in a silent Catholic desert retreat center in the US southwest. Her book about the experience is short, but every page seems to count. It made me want to try something like that. "The Green Desert: A Silent Retreat" by Rita Winter.

You know how everybody has a low-brow guilty reading pleasure (at least of those folks who still read books)?? Well, mine came in the mail yesterday - the newest of author Stephanie Laurens's Regency romances! I own all 20-odd of her books, the only bodice-ripper author I actually purchase, and damn near the only one I read. Woohoo!
                          Last edited by Crabbcakes; 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Heya doc! Dude, you could never be mistaken for a no-class guy - you innately have it, which is why a coterie of ladies here on the MDA have a Stammtisch at your journal!
                            Stammtisch? WTF?

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                              Stammtisch? WTF?
                              Stammtisch - German word. Both a small, select group of friends who meet at regular intervals and also the physical table at which this group meets, usually for drinks and comraderie. On the appropriate evening, the owner of the establishment that hosts the small, select group will place a card on the table that simply reads "STAMMTISCH" and the members make for their regular table.

Sorry - I got email from home and I got my vocab mixed up. A lot of my people across the pond and I do the "Denglish" thing - a Deutsch-English mash up. Like Spanglish.

Comment

Stammtisch - German word. Both a small, select group of friends who meet at regular intervals and also the physical table at which this group meets, usually for drinks and comraderie. On the appropriate evening, the owner of the establishment that hosts the small, select group will place a card on the table that simply reads "STAMMTISCH" and the members make for their regular table.

Sorry - I got email from home and I got my vocab mixed up. A lot of my people across the pond and I do the "Denglish" thing - a Deutsch-English mash up. Like Spanglish.
                                I figured it was something like that... I've been called meshugenah by a lady I once tried to date.... it's a Yiddish word that basically means "crazy"... not sure I spelled that correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X